Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sqit squats, pork ropes & swimming with the fish.

Options
  • 14-02-2011 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

Blah blah about me....
    At the moment I'm recovering from a shoulder and hip "challenges", not to mention I'm NOT surrounded by the lovely gym equipment I would like, such as a squat rack :(. But I will continue to struggle on with what I've got.

I dive, therefore I have to keep up my swimming fitness in the pool and sea snorkels but I love lifting heavy weights, New Rules of Lifting started me on the right path a couple of years ago (but so many years wasted before that :mad:). I do a touch of yoga, mainly for mental calmness and getting in tuned with my body. Over the summer would like to get back into sprinting.

I'm no where near as strong as I know I am, but here are my PR's for lifting over the last 2 years (with 9 months off in between due to injuries).
    -96kg trapbar deadlift
    -2 chin ups (this was over a year ago though, I have to start over w/ my shoulder)
    -59kg below parallel squat (maybe I go heavier but didn't have a spotter)

Goals (within next 3 months, with limited equipment):
    Chin up (again!) plus lots more after that.
    50kg Single Leg Deadlift
    20kg Dumbbell Row
    40 lengths in pool
    I need to do something for squats until I can get to a squat rack sometime this year???? Was doing bulgarian split squats with a barbell, got up to 25kg, my legs can take more weight, but I can't actually lift any more than that onto my shoulders due to lack of upper body strength, sigh!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

howtomake wrote: »
    Blah blah about me....
    At the moment I'm recovering from a shoulder and hip "challenges", not to mention I'm NOT surrounded by the lovely gym equipment I would like, such as a squat rack :(. But I will continue to struggle on with what I've got.

I dive, therefore I have to keep up my swimming fitness in the pool and sea snorkels but I love lifting heavy weights, New Rules of Lifting started me on the right path a couple of years ago (but so many years wasted before that :mad:). I do a touch of yoga, mainly for mental calmness and getting in tuned with my body. Over the summer would like to get back into sprinting.

I'm no where near as strong as I know I am, but here are my PR's for lifting over the last 2 years.
    -96kg trapbar deadlift
    -2 chin ups (this was over a year ago though, I have to start over w/ my shoulder)
    -59kg below parallel squat (maybe I go heavier but didn't have a spotter)

to be continued, will start to post exercises tomorrow

Whoop whoop:) Another log for me to follow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

So does everyone have a more witty thread title then me?:rolleyes::D.

I'll be keeping an eye on this log.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

Hip has been bugging me all day at work. Came home and did a yoga 10 minute hip opening sequence, helped a bit and did a restorative camel pose.

Did some foam rolling on it, I need a new foam roller, looks like toothpick now.

I'm trying to figure out a new program so my lifting was a bit all over the place, again my hip was bugging (excuses, excuses :rolleyes:)

Single Deadlift
    2 sets of 5 reps - 31kg (my db's at home are waaay too bulky, the first set was a bit shakey, the 2nd set better)

Inverted Rows
    2 sets of 5 (lazy, I've been doing 5 sets but not tonight)

Chin work:
    The 1st rep I try to do an unassisted, I've been trying to measure how far up I can go each time, it is not exact but looks like this week I got up another 2 inches (yay me!), 9.5 inches to go before I can get my face up to the bar on my own.
    3 sets of 5 - assisted
    1 set of 5 - negatives w/ 6lb weight (my diving belt and weight :D)

Push ups
    These have not been going great. I can hover all day long but the actual pushing up is where my shoulder just gives out. It's just so frustrating because a couple of years ago I could do them no problems even with my feet elvated. Only got 2 sets of 3 reps, but still 2 reps better than a few weeks ago.

After the above I just played around trying to get my heart rate up with a 22kg barbell-some bulgarian squats, rear lunges, a pitiful attempt at some cleans, ended with 2 minute plank. I should've added another plank and some pitiful attempts of pistol squats but was lazy. Finished with some stretching and more foaming.

Feeling a bit sore from yesterdays workout which is good.

Ok so some pool snorkeling tonight, wonder if I can remember to count all my lengths, after 20 I lose count. Really just feel like reading a book, stuffing my face with cheese, chocolate and wine but....

25+ lengths, not sure again lost count, how will I know when I to make it to 40 if I can't keep count :mad:? Did a length under water, much much easier, even after doing all those lengths, so could've done 1 1/2, will try that next week.

• Advertisement

Shoulder feeling a little twingy from swimming last night. The rest of me is kind of sore, which I like, means I worked something.

Was thinking of maybe losing a little more weight after I get to my goal of 1 chin up, less weight wouldn't hurt with getting more in either. I spent too much time last year a bit too heavy. Lost some over the holidays and things have been steady although I've gotten away with eating some crap, not sure how long my luck will last so need to be careful.

Wonder what mood I'll be in later at the gym for?

Ok so I kind of just decided what my workout B will be.

5 sets x 6 reps
    Lat pull down - 7th pin
    Single Leg Deadlift - 31kg (much easier with the gym's slim weights than my bulky ones at home)

3 sets x 8 reps
    Bulgarian Split squats -20kg,( can go heavier if there was a rack:mad:)
    BB row 30kg

2 sets x 10 reps
    Good mornings - 20kg
    DB press - 10kg (again right shoulder twinging)

Intervals

10 minute intervals on treadmill 1 min slow, 1 min fast

It's been awhile since I've had a good endorphin rush session, the world seems alright now.

I think I need to eat more during the day, will try adding in another egg and maybe a small amount of muesli.

I'm being bad tonight, no exercising, unless you call walking in the windy and cold rain as exercising, AND chinese take out with beer. At least I should've made myself work for that damn beer. Didn't quite plan it this way, tsk tsk tsk.

Anyway tomorrow (early morning I'd like to emphasize) we are going out in the bleeding cold to snorkel through what will most likely be pea soup thanks to all the winds & crap today. I like sleeping in on Saturdays, blah!

Was an early one this morning in the sea for half an hour. Weather was actually pleasant, too tired to really enjoy it though, visibility was crap. I don't do well with any type of exercising in the mornings as I found over the Christmas holidays when I was forced to.

Wanted to do some sprints today & some chins but didn't. Wrecked after the weekend. Oh well there's always tomorrow.

And as much as I like my own company, I'm starting to feel like I'm talking to myself on this log :(.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

Just because people don't comment...doesn't mean we're not watching...there are a lot of voyeurs.

Just because people don't comment...doesn't mean we're not watching...there are a lot of voyeurs.

Haha, sounds kinky! Ok, just didn't know if I was boring anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Wanted to do/ some sprints today & some chins but didn't. Wrecked after the weekend. Oh well there's always tomorrow.

And as much as I like my own company, I'm starting to feel like I'm talking to myself on this log :(.
    I'm here! :)

Although, admittedly, I thought you were a guy til I saw your post in the Ladies who train thread! What's your height/weight stats?

Haha, sounds kinky!
    Is that a problem for you?
    Ok, just didn't know if I was boring anyone.
    No, we're used to it.

G86 wrote: »
    I'm here! :)

Although, admittedly, I thought you were a guy til I saw your post in the Ladies who train thread! What's your height/weight stats?

Hmm interesting that you thought I was a guy, you're not the first one on boards to think that. Happened in the diving section. Although once TOM rolls around and I'm moaning about my lack of strength, know one will make that mistake. Just ta warn ya.

5'7, think I'm 70kg, I think about 40kg of that is in my hips, can't tell how much muscle are in my legs as I can't see them too good, but they are there some where. I'll post a sample diet day soon.

Is that a problem for you?

No, we're used to it.

Well if anyone needs me to liven things up let me know. I can always moan more or tell everyone about my latest accidents.

Need some motivation. Don't feel like working on chins, need a working mp3 player to do any type of cardio, no music = no fun! And not that crappy poppy sh*t they play so loudly at the gym.
    Gym, gym, must get to gym. Get it together and move it legs!!!!

Well if anyone needs me to liven things up let me know. I can always moan more or tell everyone about my latest accidents.
    I am used to moaning...go for your life.

Don't know what was wrong with my grip tonight, but it was pretty weak. I was holding the same weight from the last 2 workouts, the last 2 workouts my grip didn't even phase me. Not to mention that it felt like it was one of the longest walks to the gym. Anyway I wussed out the the number of sets that I wanted to do to. My head just doesn't seem to be in the right place.

4 sets x 8 reps
    Single Leg Deadlift - 31kg (2 x15.5kg DBs)
    BB row 30kg

3 sets
    Good mornings - 20kg 15 reps all 3 sets
    DB press - 10kg 8 reps, 2x10 reps (again right shoulder twinging, but better than last week, dare I add 12.5kg???)

Messing

Didn't have the right music with me to motivate me to run on the treadmill like a gerbil.
    5 minute treadmill, 10 minute stepper, 3 min rower

My food has been all over the place, think I'll take some time out tomorrow night and get some healthy goodies together.

:(, oof I'm so achey and sore AND not the good kind of I-exercised-my-buns-off sore. For the last 3 years I get these joint/muscle aches now & then, there doesn't seem to be any direct relationship that I can see. It comes and goes no matter if I have or have not exercised, drank enough water or not, ate certain things, taking lots of oils or not. There is sometimes a pattern of the time of day, usually I wake up feeling like someone ran over all my joints. Doctor didn't have a clue really, I might have to go back. Pain killers don't work on it too much. This morning it was so hard to just walk.

Anyway so yesterday I did a very quick session of yoga as I had crap to deal with at home (getting work done on the place & not having any hot water). I did make my protein muffins though, although I varied the recipe slightly and they came out a little dry, but nothing a little whipped ricotta can't take care of.

Pool tonight, wonder how I'm going to feel? Think I have to do my swimming test, ick.

• Advertisement

Came home, felt terrible, it hurt to stretch my legs & arms, it hurts to take deep breaths in my ribcage, feels like someone is squeezing me.

Tried to work on chins, only made me feel worse. Had to force myself to the pool. Didn't do any mad lengths, just did my swim test for the year which was ok.

:D:D:D

Oof yesterday it felt like that other day didn't even happen. I'm achey now but achey from exercise. I woke up good, physically & mentally. By the time I got home I was ready for a good workout session.

Chin work (at home)
    2 partial unassisteds - got up another 1.5 inches, so I'm over half way up there before I can do a full one. I just reach a certain height, then my shoulders just stop lifting me like someone put on the brakes.

5 negatives - was feeling so good, I added a 12lb diving weight belt on me.

3 assisted - on these the last few reps my forearms give out, nevermind the rest of me

At the gym
    Single Leg Deadlifts (grip not too bad so went heavier)
    set 1 - 15kg ea DBs
    set 2 to 4 - 17.5kg ea DBs
    set 5 - 15kg ea DBs

alternated as gym was busy
    Dips 2 sets 8-10 reps
    tricep rope pulldowns 2 sets 6 reps (pin 3)

messing
    alternated 2 sets of 5 reps 20kg BB
    elevated rear foot lunges
    good mornings

ended with 4 minutes of tabata on de bike

I was told that I looked like I was working hard, and was asked what I was actually working when doing SLDL's. Although truthfully I could've worked a bit harder and forgot to do any planks or moutain climbers.

I made Ooopsie "bread" last night as burger buns. First time making them. All it is are 3 eggs: soft peaked whisked egg whites w/ pinch of baking powder and whipped egg yolks w/ 3 ounces low fat cream cheese, in the oven for 30mins. They are not very dense as they are mostly made of air from the whipping, but they were still good, almost like white bread. Will definitely make those again using different herbs and such. I think I need a few chickens of my own the amount of eggs I eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Chin work (at home)
    2 partial unassisteds - got up another 1.5 inches, so I'm over half way up there before I can do a full one. I just reach a certain height, then my shoulders just stop lifting me like someone put on the brakes.
    It's soooooo frustrating trying to get your first pullup/chinup..persistance is the key..you'll get there!:)

Also, those protein muffins..have you got a recipe?

gymfreak wrote: »
    It's soooooo frustrating trying to get your first pullup/chinup..persistance is the key..you'll get there!:)

Also, those protein muffins..have you got a recipe?

Ah yes I know about the persistance, I did 1.5 couple of years ago before the shoulder injury and I will do them again, even better. Hehe, no matter the costs. Give me another couple-few weeks I think.

Will need to check ingredients again but its something like this.
    dry ingredients
    1 cup oatmeal
    1/2 flaxseeds (I used a flaxseed/goji berry combo)
    2 scoops vanilla protein powder
    1/4 cup coconut powder (can use even more for a lovely smell)
    1 teaspoon baking powder, ginger powder, cinnamon
    either sugar or splenda

wet ingredients
    3-4 whole eggs (although you can use whites if ya, want, I hate wasting the yummy vit A yokes)
    vanilla extract
    dash of milk (if needed)

mix good in food processor, the last batch I didn't mix enough turned out drier than normal. Pop in some muffin thingies.
    optional:
    I've put in crystalised ginger before for sweetness
    Also frozen berries work well
    Go crazy

A little hiccup since Friday night, didn't do any running like I planned and ate/drank lots of things I shouldn't have. I'm also being lazy not going snorkeling today, but at least this way I won't be knackered all day Sun like I usually am. Must make sure to work on chins and take a nice long walk in park since it is sunny. I really need to work on my endurance too.

Chin work (at home)
    2 partial unassisteds - um this was crap, I was DOWN 1.5 inches from Thursday's chin works WTF. I know its TOM soon but come on???

5 negatives - 12lb diving weight, felt ok surprisingly because these suffer if my partial chins suffer too.

2 sets assisted - 10 reps, then 8 reps

1 set assisted pull up - 8 reps

Light BB Squats
    22.5kg 3 sets 15 reps - last set I noticed I was squeezing my toes, gotta watch that. Anyway did it light because that's the amount I can get over my head without a rack.

DB Rows (fat grip)
    10kg 3 sets 8 reps - decided I needed to work on my grip strength, so wrapped 2 cloths around DB's, so I dropped the weight. Let's hope this works

Planks
    2 mins - on
    1 min - off/rest
    1 min - on
    Been too long since I did these, and couldn't go the 2nd round for 2 minutes.

Ok going to have to reset my goals. Chins are fine, making progress except for that last fiasco on Sun. However, for my other goals I need to work on my grip strength first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Light BB Squats
    22.5kg 3 sets 15 reps - last set I noticed I was squeezing my toes, gotta watch that. Anyway did it light because that's the amount I can get over my head without a rack.

Hey did you try powercleaning the weight then doing front squats?You'll be able to use more weight that way compared to the max weight you can press/pushpress then btn press back over your head.Or Zerchers if you like bruises.:)

Remmy wrote: »
    Hey did you try powercleaning the weight then doing front squats?You'll be able to use more weight that way compared to the max weight you can press/pushpress then btn press back over your head.Or Zerchers if you like bruises.:)

Thanks! Ok next week zerchers, as I get bruises no matter what anyway.

Not a good week for me, nothing to report 'cept went to dr's and now I'm playing the waiting game. I may not have time for pool tonight, depends if I can get out of here in time enough before they close.

• Advertisement

Nothing major tonight, just 300 metres of breast strokes in pool, then steam room.

Advertisement