Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sqit squats, pork ropes & swimming with the fish.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

Ok well I probably could've eaten more today. I'm broke, tins of tesco fish for me until xmas, blah, any donations welcome.

Snatching was meh, empty bar warm up was even a struggle, uncoordinated one might say. Powersnatched one and had to drop another, bar was too far forward.

Seems I had 2 coaches tonight, one of them (won't call the little munchkin any names since she is twice as strong as I am), anyway some how I have an extra set of doubles added on to my program for all lifts!

C & J were so so, the last few sets we figured out what's been wrong with me the last week. For some reason I started to bend my knees slightly just before I jerk, don't know why I started doing that, didn't even notice. Makes things less snappy.

Ah, squats felt weaker than they did yesterday when I was dizzy:rolleyes:. Didn't feel it in the glutes, but around hip flexors instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭supposedly

howtomake wrote: »

Seems I had 2 coaches tonight, one of them (won't call the little munchkin any names since she is twice as strong as I am), anyway some how I have an extra set of doubles added on to my program for all lifts!

I believe little munchkin is a name. Chinchilla is the politically correct term please!

Also, doubles make you strong and fast. Everything else makes you slow and weak. Do you want to be fast and strong or slow and weak? You were going to be getting the doubles whether I was there or not; I just happened to be there to gloat about it!

Ah, squats felt weaker than they did yesterday when I was dizzy:rolleyes:. Didn't feel it in the glutes, but around hip flexors instead.

I'd have to have a look at you squatting to be sure but sounds to me like you need a dose of "knees out"? I'm training at 5-7pm tomorrow if you want to keep me company and I could have a look? I'll bring a donation of food for you!

f579b00e-5ac8-4bc6-9f72-fd8ae3cb91c4.jpg

I guess it'll come because I certainly didn't feel strong and fast doing them.

supposedly wrote: »
    I'd have to have a look at you squatting to be sure but sounds to me like you need a dose of "knees out"? I'm training at 5-7pm tomorrow if you want to keep me company and I could have a look? I'll bring a donation of food for you!

Ok thanks, yeah maybe its me knees. I have the memory of a gold fish when it comes to cues.

• Advertisement

f579b00e-5ac8-4bc6-9f72-fd8ae3cb91c4.jpg

I guess it'll come because I certainly didn't feel strong and fast doing them.

Oh my god, that's the funniest thing I've ever seen and so appropriate! Hahaha!!!

I'm stealing that for my bookface and whenever I give advice on one of my crazy chinchilla forums!

Did a short power yoga sequence, nothing too much just enough to get the body temperature up. Then went to pool, only did a few lengths. We have some new trainees, they were doing their snorkel exercises so I had to help. Well help be towed and stuff. Some how I got a foot cramp from being towed. And my knee is cranky.

Didn't know what kind of humour I'd be in, we've had a sad event at work. But once I got there my body decided to cooperate. Got nice & sweaty, some endorphins kicked in, but still haven't been able to get really high for awhile now.

Snatching went really well, pleased with the way things felt. Ok that's a lie, I have one complaint (of course), I felt weaker coming out of the hole, even on some of the lighter sets. I should be feeling stronger no? Once and awhile I just feel like my legs don't want to squat, ever since my knee started bugging me again. But I kept hitting the sweat spot when exploding up.

Only did 1 powersnatch and that was because I was given more than 1 instruction/pep talk, just need one thing at a time.

I made sure to set myself up before I started the lift, and just like with anything in life a good set up/prep is important kids.

C & J, went well too, I'd say I really felt some good power on two of them, bam bam. The rest were good enough. Although Mr. D'Ed lied to me, I was rushing through the last set as it was 7 o'clock (and I was getting dirty looks), managed to hit my chin on the last rep. Eh, kind of added an exciting end to the session though.

We skipped squats cuz I had to rush out. Knee cranky anyway.

37kg snatch PB, while not the most I've put over my head at least I was able to stand up properly with it. Snatching was going very smoothly again. Oh but I did manage to bang my pelvic bone on one (yeah go ahead)

C & J, jerks were better, the thing is I don't know what I actually did to make them better. Need a bit more awareness.

Squats, remembered Ms. Supps suggestion of pushing out the knees. Helped with feeling in the glutes, but a tiny bit sore on the cranky knee. Inner hip flexors still shakey but they probably just need some development.

• Advertisement

Good thing Tommy was there, needed a minor correction was a bit out of it and uncoordinated. Wasn't bothering to set up myself up correctly when snatching. Anyway the last 2 sets felt much better after that.
    Nice little session.
    Snatching good.
    That tip Tommy gave me for setting up is working a treat.

Hmm Tommy had to look at my set up again, seems my gold fish brain doesn't remember what he told me back in mid Nov ^^^^.

I've not been putting my shoulders far enough over the bar. After that minor correction things felt SO MUCH EASIER!!!!!!! And it was just about only say less than half an inch more. Oh well, live & learn.

Ah yesterday's session caught up with me late morning. Felt like someone ran over me.

Made up a new yoga sequence, was actually nice, a bit of power & iyengar & then power combined. Of course I'm no instructor, just made it up as I went along. Er think I can remember for next week. Felt a bit better after that.

Anyway this hermit is heading out for some debauchery the rest of the weekend.

We had our New Year's snorkel this morning, a nice balmy 6 degrees. Quite a difference from 20 degrees in Tenerife. Didn't do much, swam around the rocks for 30 minutes, picked up some trash. The others went out to the buoys, but after being in Tenerife, the pea soup in Dublin bay just didn't appeal to me. Next Sunday.

Let's see.... have not picked up a bar in 2 weeks. Got a little sick before Xmas, and a couple of funerals (not my family), then went to Tenerife for 7 days. Did 4 dives in warmish and very clear waters. And a 5 hour hike, plus lots of walking around. I would've thought the break would've fixed my knees by now but going down hill on the hike messed them up pretty good. Not any worse but not any better.

Hercs tomorrow, wonder if my gold fish brain will remember how to do things. Looks like lifting will be just 4 days a week for the next month or so, gotta put in some time for the snorkies before diving season begins in March(ish).

Ok did better than expected on the snatches, and did worse than expected on the squats, or should I say goodmornings:rolleyes:. I'm going to try my hardest to not let 2 weeks go by again without proper lifting, too hard to get back into it.

Snatches were very good working up towards the 32kg, then kinda went all down hill from there. Had to really focus. At least the hesitation of squatting down with my knees was gone. But the last sets of 28kg it just felt too hard to stand up.

Cleans & jerks... I just wanted that part to end. Too tired. I know I'm forgetting something with those jerks, just can't remember what.

Squats:mad:, blah! Need to push knees out. Tommy had me just go a little below parallel after a few reps instead sitting all the way down as I just couldn't get keep up right. My hip flexors are way too tight. Need to fix that this week.

Going to go breathe in some patience now. Good news is I didn't gain any weight.

Ah so sore, its been awhile since I've had muscle soreness from weightlifting, the occassional knees, wrists, thumb web, hip flexors, right shoulder niggles, but not actual DOMS.

Anyway I'm free tonight to do what I want. Snatching of course :D, but might be a maverick and do some jerking off the rack instead. I think I need to get back in touch with more awareness on those. They have not been the same since I've been fully snatching beforehand. Also seriously going to lighten up the squats, I'm in my delicate time at the moment :o. 1st day always the worse, gonna be a short enough workout.

Oh and somehow I've been talked into signing up for lunch time pilates once a week. Meh, would rather a yoga class but its only for 4 weeks, and it'll get me out of the office. She also gives a €20 discount for neuromuscular therapy for all her current students. So at least she's just more than a pilates instructor and I could do with a bit more of that anyway.

Stupid again, didn't eat enough before going to gym. Stupid meetings going on late.

Shortened session...almost fell asleep on the bus and missed the stop.

Snatchies were good. On one I concentrated a bit too much on keeping hips down, that I nearly forgot to use the right moment for oomph with the hips. Other than that no complaints, feeling solid.

Ugh, jerks on the other hand a couple of them felt bam bam after a rest, but just too tired. Lowering the bar has become quite a chore again on the old shoulders.
    I might see if I can do these first before snatches while I'm still fresh to see if that helps. Anyway will experiment.

Squats, I took it very very light, 35kg 2 sets of 10. Legs sore. They still didn't feel right but they felt better.

I actually did a few squats with just holding a plate out in front of me and that felt good. Not sure what that means.

Going to go eat lots of food.

Ah woke up around 5am, rhomboids or something are pulling my back, can feel it tugging all the way around the front of my solar plex area. BAH! Good news though the knees are feeling a bit better, just tired but no pain.

Did some hip opening asanas, damn the flexors are tight.

Was very lazy in the pool, didn't want to leave the warm home to go out in that miserable weather.

Why did a bother to get up this morning. Anyhoo freaking sick again because half the office brought in their germs, my company has now been declared a hot zone by the CDC (or whatever the Irish equivalent is to that, the tropical medical bureau or something).

Going to try to do some light squats at least tonight at home so I don't spread my germs around Hercs. Gotta get back in touch with my glutes.

Meh did some plain body weight squats, and did some more sets holding a plate out in front of me (again those felt really good) & holding it behind my head.

Press ups - experimented just holding a plate steady in my hand, didn't do much for the shoulder as its a bit light but really felt it working my wrists for stabilisation.

Also found a new knee exercise, its kinda like one I'm doing already
    new-modified-knee-exercise

I now have a thumping headache, too much snot running around the head.

Argh, should be back in action on Tuesday, feeling slightly better. But the bathroom cabinet decided to fall on my face, good thing I don't need my face for snatching. I've done a few free-range squats now & then while I can. No snorkies today either.

But not a day has gone by this week that I have not thought about my snatch.

• Advertisement

Do you not think about your clean and jerk too?

Hmm how far to take this.... But no not as much. Although while holding an ice pack to my face I did think about my jerk and how to not hit my head but still get the bar straight up. Think I've been doing that sweeping motion instead of sending it straight up. Tommy says don't worry about hitting my head but don't think he understands that the laws of gravity change around it. The space time fabric gets a bit warped when heavy objects are near it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

It's all about the Snatch

And the clean and jerk.

I'm sorry to take advantage of your wrist tragedy, but who knows if i'll ever be able to say this again...my snatch is bigger than yours.

slut! ;)

Mai squatz & jerk are BACK!! Er still don't know what happened to my squats but they are back anyway. Jerk on the other hand is probably what I thought, just needed to get the racking position right, stick my head back a little, etc.

Tommy wouldn't let me do the jerks first, I just wanted to try it for a couple of sessions, not forever, sheesh:rolleyes:. But anyway didn't matter. There was an air of grumpiness so I just let it go. He did recommend to skip the extra doubles in the last few sets for snatch, c&j & squats. We added in 2 doubles of 51kg for the squats.

Had enough energy and just did 10 minutes on the treadmill, just to get a bit of endorphin boost.

Few knee exercises & hip/quad stretch. My new knee warmers are good too, although they are still crackling.

Just did a short power yoga sequence, got a little sweaty, shoulder felt a bit more solid when doing the upward facing dog this time.

Skipped pool as that stupid cold seems to want to try to come back, want to be fresh for tomorrow's session.
    Need to eat more :pac:8-methyul-N-vanillyl-6-nonenamide:pac:

Chilli?

• Advertisement

Unfortunately I'm all out. I have somewhat of a capsicum addiction. mmmmm chilli!

Advertisement