Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sqit squats, pork ropes & swimming with the fish.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

Meh no actual rolfing again:rolleyes:, she's trying to teach my body to do things itself. Guess I can't complain too much, I do feel better, sunshine certainly helps. She also gave me some foot exercises, to ween me off those damn orthotics. I have to now walk like a frog.

Hopefully some snorkies tomorrow.

I think I'm bi-polar, ok well maybe just overly dramatic sometimes. I'm anti-emo!!!SOOOO happy today, SUNSHINE!!!

Had another GREAT snorkie this morning, was upset to be told to get out of the water. Was one of the easiest snorkels too, I was even ahead of everyone in my group, guess my water fitness is catching up. My back feels normal in the water, although my ankle was giving out with finning. Need to work on that.

Anyway going to try diving next week. Spoke briefly with Tommy the other day. Still probably till May before I pick up any weights & set foot again in Hercs.

Walkies to work & pool at lunch. Making progress on the swimming fitness. Was able to do some extra strokes while keeping my head under. I was putting up my head every 3rd stroke, did 3 lengths only every 5th stroke. Don't know how many lengths I did, but it was probably 10. Really really tired after it though.

Had to walk home, too. My back & ribs did not like the walk home, especially after sitting at work. Don't think its ready for (2) 45 minute walks per day, it likes the water and bed much better.

Recap from last week...
    Let's see, walked to & fro work all last week. Won't be walking home again, just a bit too much for my back after sitting at work all day.

Did some yoga twice specifically for my thoracic area. Only did wrist exercises once last week, BAD BAD BAD me, seeing as those its exercise where I can hold up weights with.

Went to pool thrice & did my first dive of the year Sat morning. Tried not to lift stuff too much (had others to help me:)), but was still kind of twingy, nothing serious on that part. But nearly got hypothermia, had some serious uncontrollable shivers on the boat. Was actually quite disorientated. Only saw some fishies, viz wasn't the worst but wasn't the best either.

Anyway while researching some of those somatic exercises, came across a blog about weightlifting & somatics that mentions himself. There is a workshop being held in Dublin mid May something or another.

• Advertisement

So far nothing interesting this week, went to pool once at lunch, plan on going tonight. Eh, didn't make much progress on the swimming front since last week, I am feeling more a burn in the arms when swimming along. I miss snorkeling in the sunshine. If the stupid weather keeps up like this, I'll doubt there will be any diving this nice loooong weekend, pooey!

Ribs/back have been really at me this week. Today isn't so bad considering I've been sitting at the desk all day though. Not doing any walking this week, wait for weekend.

Missed the pool Wed night, had to prepare some stuff for work the next day. Been very bad with taking care of things but since I have not had to sit a desk for more than 4 hours, ribs/back isn't too bad considering. Been quite lazy on exercise front and way too much work outside of working hours.

Tried squatting the other day, oofff ankle mobility has gotten waaay off, was never bad before, but I could feel the difference.

Went diving today, at least I made sure I was warmer (took some chili tea out with me) & the sun was out for a bit now & then. Viz was the worst I've ever seen it, maybe 2nd worse that I have ever seen it in Dublin. Damn tide was coming in too so was bounced around the place on the safety stop. Still, I prefer bad viz to mild hypothermia.

Pool tonight, took it easy enough. Had a crick in my neck and headache all day.

Pool again yesterday, think I did about 12 lengths, but they were not anything special, if anything fitness feels back to where it was 2 weeks ago. Ah my left side and ribs are bugging me. I just want to wake up and feel normal.

Lunch time pool time. Lengths felt much easier, not sure how many I did but I went more full throttle than usual. Even did 2 full lengths underwater (not at the same time though).

Ribs are still a pain in the arpse biscuits. Off to de Continent tomorrow for work, should be interesting to see how the ribs are going to pain me throughout the flights and meetings :rolleyes: Might be able to go in the pool in hotel.

• Advertisement

Didn't have one minute to myself during the work trip, could've done with going to the pool, even just to float, oh well.

I did think of some exercises to do next month that shouldn't bother my ribs or spine. I don't really like machines but in this case I'll just have to learn to like. My ribs don't seem to like doing assisted chins or pull ups, might give that another month or so. But should be able to start the below next month. Think my mobility will need extra work for now anyway, I'm sure Tommy will want to put in his 2 cents on things. I might be ok for light clean dead lifts, like the ones Ms Supp showed me last year.

• Front loaded plate squats
    • BW Squats with bands (around knees)
    • Leg curls
    • Leg extensions
    • Leg press
    • Pull overs (???)
    • Tricep kickbacks
    • Bicep curls
    • YTWL's (light weight)
    • Wrist stuff
    Oof have to cut down on wine next month too. Diving tomorrow:):D, hope the sun is out. Got a new undersuit, its mainly used for surfing but I need the extra layer, especially for the Galway trip where we'll be doing 2 dives a day, hate getting into a wet wetsuit, ick.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭supposedly

Sounds like you'll be back to it in no time :)

Meh dive today, guess I should just be happy that I can go out. Nearly had an uncontrolled ascent, stupid weight belt fell off. Luckily I was able to hold on to a rock with strongly attached seaweed & it was only 6 metres. Just couldn't remember what the procedure was for an uncontrolled ascent. Anyway buddy got my weight belt back, was the longest 5 minutes though. Oh yeah & f-ing raining when we got out.

Went to pool at lunch, was lazy yesterday. All work and no play makes howtomake a dull girl:(. Too much freaking work, diving has been crap.

The Emo is strong in this one.

Went to pool again. Did a few lengths, did two lengths under water. Thought it would be funny if I actually had a shallow water blackout, not sure if they would let me back in if that happened. But I'm thinking of trying some freediving next year.

Not sure what sort of rep scheme I should go for on my potential program next week. I'm sure I've lost bucket loads of what little strength I had. But wouldn't mind feeling 'the burn' and getting my endorphins on. I like endorphins. I'm thinking maybe short rest periods, those sometimes do the trick.

Ooof, well made it to the May Galway dive away trip. Fingers too sore to type. Didn't get to do the last day of diving. Fricking pulled something, didn't want to push things, which was probably good even though I missed the best day of diving, cuz I woke up and couldn't move properly. Went on a snorkel though instead, with the sun shining, viz was terrific, could see all the way to the bottom of 20 metres.

My psoas is phuketed, the left one isn't firing properly and the right one is killing me. Hoping to make it to Hercs tomorrow after work, if not then Thursday. Got a new exercise to add to the list for the psoas.

And I ate some sugary foods over the weekend on the boat, back to no refined sugar tomorrow. Oh yeah and no wine until Jun bank holiday.

Well now I can't afford to go back to the gym this month. Tried to set myself up with some stuff at home. Just trying to get back in the habit of activating some muscles
    • Tried some of the somatic exercises for hips mainly. Ribs seemed to like it a bit.
    • Single leg BW squats on chair. Not sure what happened but my right leg used to be the weak shakey one, now its my left. Knee wasn't tracking properly either.
    • BW single leg deadlifts
    • YTWL's, er yeah not that many but starting off slowly. Need to do it on a bench though, back wasn't too happy trying to keep myself upright.
    • Scalp push ups, boy am I a weakling, but its only upwards from now.
    • Couch GHR's, ha what a sight I must've looked like, good thing I didn't have a mirror.
    • Some psoas band exercise thingy the PT gave me
    • Thoracic mobility stuff
    Now all I need is for the ribs and spine to not get any worse. (i.e. don't do anything stupid).

Don't think I'll be able to go for the Rescue diver this year, not with the way things are going. Which I'm actually ok about, surprisingly, I'm just happy to do some diving, even if its not as much as I could do.

Today wasn't too bad, back/ribs waited until 5pm to start nagging me. And buns were burny from yesterdays stuff.
    • Shortened version of the same somatic exercises.
    • Single leg BW squats on chair. Left leg still a bit wobbly but actually felt better, right one felt stronger today to.
    • YTWL's
    • Awful Couch GHR's, left foot gets crampy from it though
    • psoas band exercise thingy
    • Thoracic mobility stuff
    • BW Squats with band around upper thighs
    • Glute bridges off the couch
    And I tried snatching on an empty 2kg york bar, just from the hip hinge. Was able to do 5 of them before a little seizing happened which is actually a big improvement from about a month or so ago when I tried. Tried some jerking too, but feels strange on slippery socks. Hard to tell how I'm actually doing without any weight too. I don't want to get too cocky, as last week was bad. Don't want to ruin anything but if things continue this way might be able to work with an actual empty oly bar next month, just even once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭supposedly

I was going to like that because burny buns are always good (Mine are killing me today from glute calisthenics and I've never been more pleased!) But your tales of woe made me decide not to like it. Glad you're on the mend but hurry up and get better.
    Maybe we should drink coffee.

supposedly wrote: »
    I was going to like that because burny buns are always good (Mine are killing me today from glute calisthenics and I've never been more pleased!) But your tales of woe made me decide not to like it. Glad you're on the mend but hurry up and get better.
    Maybe we should drink coffee.

Ah that's ok, its 3 steps forward 2 steps back, but at least its 1 step in the right direction now. Last month it was 4 steps back and 1 step forward.

Me glutes are still twingy, which is nice:) Not sure if coffee is my answer. I think I'm actually getting addicted to coffee, its been fingers to the bone at work.
    Thurs, went to pool, did some lengths, did 2 underwater. Still need more practice holding the breath. Fri, recovered from work party.

Went to park today, did some sprints. Its been way too long since I've done those, feel outta shape. Before that did some of those somatic exercises to try to loosen ribs. Think Thurs night outing kinda wrecked me in more than one way.

Oh and did something funny to my finger on the dive trip, its been getting more swollen and bigger & bigger as days pass. Looks like a fat sausage now.

• Advertisement

Ooofy, my thighs are killing me from those sprints the other day. I prefer the pain of DOMS than what my ribs are doing to me. Had to cancel osteo as I'm broke. 2nd weekend without any wine:(

Tried snatching yesterday with that stupid 2kg york bar. The sides of my body are a bit skittish, so things were not working smoothly, at least they didn't feel like it.

On the brighter side my squat mobility seems to be coming back, even without the wl shoes. Will just keep plugging along the rest of the month.

Did some more of the same at home. Found away to hold my feet on the couch for the bastardised version of GHR, so they don't cramp up on me. Anyway quads are now burny, and I don't seem to be able to walk properly.

Went to pool, might add in some breast strokes next time.

More 'stuff' yesterday. Yoga and some leg work, a bit too vigorous as my band snapped on me, RIP :( Left bum is definitely not as stable as right.

Pulled something last, week in the leg, but everything is back to normal now.

More "stuff", working on some hip hinge action, er, needs LOTS of work on that. Left leg still needs lots of work, twice as hard on that side. Hips are a bit tight when squatting, another thing to work on.

Tried 2kg snatching off de flower again, yeah er completely forgot everything that was taught to me, some of it came back, hearing voices in my head. Kinda pulled a bit at the ribs, but....Anyway my set up isn't great, might leave it alone until I'm at Hercs. I'm sure Tommy will be more than happy to remind me of everything
    ...... baby steps.

Went to pool, was way too crowded and I forgot my nose plug, hate getting even the tiniest drop of chlorine in my nose.

Was going to do more stuff at home, but back was bugging me so I continued my streak of emo for the day.

Nothing like a bit of helio-healing to scorch away the emo.:D

Went to the park, for a big long 2 hour walk, clenching the glutes, especially my misbehaving left one. Going for a pilates session tomorrow morning.

Went for a nice snorkel on Thursday, couldn't see jack crap really but myself and the seals scared each other. Then on the other side of the island, ran into loads of jelly fish, amongst floaty yucky stuff.

Pilates turned into more of a postural session. She gave me a few exercises to do but mainly she tested me. Seams I might have been a bit hasty in trying to wean myself off the orthotic inserts. She gave me a few strength, etc tests with and without them. She believes I would be stronger if I used them during WL, and she did mention now is not the time to take away any extra support my body needs with my injury. She still says I can do the extra feet exercises but that I should probably look at it as a very long term goal towards lessening my need on the inserts. She said a bunch of other stuff I'm too tired to write.

Went for a dive today, wasn't the best viz, but managed to see some dolphins, think it was between dun laoighaire and dalkey. then managed to see only 3 fish like beings, but one was a big congar eel hiding in a little cave. then 2 divers from the garda club, went missing but thankfully they eventually found them.

And then went for another long big walk this afternoon, petting doggies and getting my tan.

Went to 3 days of thermal baths for some healing for the back & stuff, just floating in water. Would've been too except I fell down some tricky stairs and now I'm sick, but so far my back feels better, ribs only pained me twice the whole weekend.

Anyway as soon as the bruises & cold goes away back to Hercs I go, think my ankle is a bit dodgy but nothing serious. Going to be extra extra careful, not to mention I feel really really out of shape. But this is the best the back/ribs have felt since January, I'm not going to do any stupid now.

F*** still sick, bruises are healing faster, its not almost the middle of June, sigh!

Tried to do some plain old fashion walking over the weekend, going about 1 5th of my normal speed, damn cold. Can't even swim, another week down the tubes.

• Advertisement

Bah, just finally getting over this nasty bug. Did a nice slow yoga class to unwind, tiny bits of walking here & there. Ribs are back at me, I've been really working on the posture at work, but this is when the pain starts. Might have to take another trip to osteo. But my house has never been so clean & tidy.

Anyway I'll go look at some other logs where people are actually doing stuff.

Advertisement