Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sqit squats, pork ropes & swimming with the fish.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

Got my new Bodylastic bands. So much easier doing shoulder work with stability and handles, didn't realise how unstable my wrist was doing the pulls. But other than that, they are just alright. Squats just don't feel right, there is more tension going down that up, I'll just use DBs for that. Tried a few other exercises, if I can get the tension right inverted rows are a possibility, and lots more shoulder exercises. Tried out the leg curls & stuff, not as good as the machine but workable. Actually felt rather funny trying to walk after doing them.

Anyway the usual stuff went like this...

Backbends
    T Spine foam rolling

Using Bands
    *pulley
    *face pulls
    *internal rotation & abduction
    *rotator cuff pulls (these still hurt but was smoother with the new handles)
    Pec stretch against wall
    Seated Arm lat stretch
    Seated T spine stretch

Readjusted my desk once again, support is helping somewhat but its also hurting in some ways too.

BK's warm up (before facing the cold)

Sprints in park (actually got my bounce on, only the 2nd round though, mainly from having to dodge fallen tree branches)

Pec stretch (against tree while admiring the scenery)

T Spine foam rolling

Using Bands
    *pull aparts
    *pulley
    *face pulls
    *rotator cuff pulls (a bit easier this time)

Seated Arm lat stretch
    Seated T spine stretch
    Some ball work

BK's warm up

T Spine foam rolling
    Seated T spine stretch
    Vertical hanging & swings

Isometric Shoulder Flexion
    Wall push ups

Using Bands
    *shoulder dislocates
    *push down
    *face pulls

scalp push ups
    scalp pull ups
    scalp rows

db supersets
    split squats
    single leg deadlift

bands
    (although these just don't feel right with the bodylastics, had to do 3 pulses at top of move just to feel them)
    legs curls
    leg extension

Cool down
    Pec stretch against wall
    Seated Arm lat stretch
    Golf ball rolling

Oh yeah, went diving yesterday, frreeeezzzzing. Wasn't too sure if I hit the glutes in the park or not, felt the hip flexors but woke up yesterday/this morning and yes, got the doms in 'em.

Meeting tomorrow after work hours, so no exercisey for me.

Tues: Yoga (shoulder felt worse after Mon's stuff)
    Wed: Lots of foam, ball rolling n stuff

Ugh, my silly brain came to a realisation that just maybe, perhaps I should exercise in the mornings since my back doesn't bother me as much as it does after work:eek::confused: I can't even walk straight in the mornings.
    Anyway I'm going through denial, guess I'll move onto anger next. I might as well try to move to Mars.

• Advertisement

Day 1: Early morning exercise meh
    Well I actually got up, had to freaking tip toe around the place, it was dark and cold. First 30 mins were ok, then afterwards had to wake myself up again.

BK warm up (only managed one round)

Isometric Shoulder Flexion (using band this time)
    Wall push ups (doing them slower so I can feel it in the scalps more)

Using Bands
    *shoulder dislocates
    *push down
    *face pulls

bird dogs
    skater squats (holding on to the bands)

split squats
    single leg deadlift

Not much intensity there, made myself a coffee protein shake. Walked to work too and now I'm knackered.

BK warm up

Bounce bounce in the park, and once or twice nearly slid, stupid mud, forgot it rained the other day. Higher intensity but left ribs were at me, so didn't do as many. Think I need to loosen upper body a bit more before going to the park.

Foma rolling & will do more stretches later.

Maybe yoga tomorrow...

Bah! did not yoga yesterday as planned. And my buns were not sore from the park, I want them to be sore!!!

This morning:
    In foetal position for 15 minutes on the couch:rolleyes:

BK warm up (only managed one round again & they were all pathetically hard)

Isometric Shoulder Flexion (bands)
    Slow Wall push ups

Using Bands
    *shoulder dislocates
    *push downs
    *face pulls
    *pulleys

skater squats (holding on to the bands)
    scalp push ups

split squats
    single leg deadlift (balance is much better on the left, I have to scrunch up my toes on the right)

Some ball work on the back

Again not much intensity there. Walked very slowly to work with eyes half opened, want bed & need coffee.

Yesterday sucked, no energy, felt like a 2 year old about to put on a tantrum.

Day 3
    Yoga this morning, and then I rolled the hell outta me back and shoulders. Another sleepy walk to work.

Thinking about maybe getting some outside help after Xmas, not sure when I'll be able to return to Hercs:(

Been a busy little bee...

Only did 8 mornings for exercises, can't function in mornings. Besides physio said to do the exercises, 3 times throughout the day to keep things moving.

Might be getting a new book I saw on chronic pain management, safe to say its chronic now. Also want to get back to a gym, I miss that environment instead of creeping around my apartment worrying about the neighbours below.

Thinking of Trinity maybe but depends if company is moving & it seems to be hella busy all the time. Energie is expensive but a friend of mine who hurt her back, said one of the trainers there helped her. Would be nice to go in jacuzzi after work though. Only want a short term gym though since I want to go back to Hercs

Went back to the pool at lunch time, which was actually very very nice to get a proper break between sitting at a desk all day.

Off for a quick cheap holiday before Xmas...

• Advertisement

Well the last couple of weeks have been 20 steps backwards, next Thurs will be a year with this constant pain! Back on pain meds too like a junkie. Have not had a decent sleep for the last 5 days.

But sitting at the desk at work has been the hardest. Have tried lots of different positions, still wearing the back support now & then too.

Dr is sending me to a Rheumatologist, but I'm not sure about this approach but at least she hasn't given up for me like the last Dr.

Tried to keep as active as I can so far this year...
    (17) Walks... going to do 1.5 hours every week day
    (5) pool swims.... plan is swimming thrice a week
    (4) Snorkeling... hopefully once a week until diving season starts
    (2) Somatic classes

Walking helps, but I'm still a bit slow. Swimming actually hurts a bit so taking it handy as well, but at least I can feel myself getting a bit more fit with it, especially when I go snorkeling. Today's snorkel was one of the coldest and there was some waves in Sandycove. Not to mention silly sleet coming down. But it feels good floating in the water.

Wanted to start cycling but I've been told it isn't the best position to be in with my back. But its hard walking when food shopping, carrying stuff. Anyway going to work my way up slowly with the cycling and not do it too much, just when I need to. First need to get a bike with the handle bars positioned right.

I did start this new somatics class, this Thurs will be the 3rd class. Its definitely different but it helps with the spasms & tension, by the end of the class, things loosen up and the pain goes away for about 2 hours. I wish I would've found this last year!!!

Anyway trying to manage the pain, just have to put WL on the back burner for some time for now:(. Thinking about it only seems to make the pain feel worse. But need to get back into logging again.

Ooops been meaning to post. Got manflu (ie got sick and felt sorry for myself) last week, so just whinged alot, no snorks or pool.

Got in one pool session so far this week, nothing exciting just trying to keep things loose. The length underwater was a tiny bit harder but nothing else to report.

Ok, snorkies last Sunday, was freeeeezing, colder than new year's day snorks. Got in a few rounds around the bouys. Want to do the charity snorks on St P's day, but we won't have snorks this weekend.

Finally yesterday's pool swim felt like it was getting back on track from when I was sick a couple of weeks ago. The last 3 swims before that were meh. Still having problems being able to turn on the right side and I've completely forgotten how to tumble, not that I was ever that good at it.

Back is okish, been able to get sleep. Walking 1.5 hours per week day as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Snorkeling sounds like a really fun way to hit your cardio needs.

JJayoo wrote: »
    Snorkeling sounds like a really fun way to hit your cardio needs.

Oh hello there. Yes once I got over the fact that I'm swimming in murky freezing water, its actually very fun & refreshing, surprisingly. We had a trainee start in our club and he took to the murky water like a fish, much better than I certainly did the first time I snorked in Sandycove, especially now that they are going to start dumping in the bay:mad:. Its still not quite Hawaii or the Red Sea but hey, I've had baby seals come nip at my fins, and when the viz is good I never want to get out of the water.
    The rest of Ireland is terrific for snorks/diving too, especially the west coast.

Guess I'd better do some logging.

Progress with the pool swim yesterday. Went today but had to cut it short due to work. Think my co worker has given me coodies that he gets from his kids again. sigh. I'm loading up on tumeric. Might catch the pool tomorrow since I have to work.

Yesterdays Feldenkrais/somatic class was ok, the first two were still the best. Its a hard class to log about though. Afterwards, my left hip actually stopped hurting. I experimented shortening my strides while walking. Not sure how to explain it, but basically the instructor talked us through certain movements with our legs and pelvis, that brought a new awareness to how we hold our bodies, its all about not straining and making the movements as easy as possible, actually the opposite of any type of exercise/training I've ever done, even Yoga. Might get some recordings of the technique so I can practice at home, once a week doesn't seem like enough.

Pooey, think I need to pay more attention to protein in my diet. Wasn't too bad over the last few days but back was at me, had to get massage.

Went to pool yesterday, took it handy though as even just walking was making the heart race, only did 45 mins walking too.

Working from home trying to recupe myself. Germs be gone

Some swimming in bigger pool with fins! Didn't do as much as I wanted cuz was late & pool busy, the water was lovely and warm, didn't want to get out.

Going to lunch somatic classes tomorrow instead of night, so no Mespil pool, but its Vday tomorrow, which means eating something fattening & a couple of drinks, hmm might need to do something radical on Sat, running with puppies sounds nice.

Why has logging become so hard:confused:, being too lazy. And some how sugar has snuck back into my feeds!

Some swims in pool, although the last 2 weren't great because I lost my nose plug, I'm such a baby with chlorine going up my nose. Ha maybe I should swim with my snork mask.

Snorks on Sun were just ok, was expecting it to feel a little easier. Anyway doing the St. Pat's day snork. Its freezing though, again I'm such a baby, took me 2 times around the bouys to get warmed up.

Somatics class was interesting tonight, really should log straight afterwards as I forgot how I felt after last week's class. We did some hip work again, just doing slight arching and back flattening moves with our hip joints, and then trying opposite moves in to what we/one might normally do. Try to break any stuck holding patterns. Left hip still tight but I did feel some loosening up of the thoracic area

Had a great swim on Fri, would've been even better with a nose plug (darn it forgot to buy one today). Even just a little dribble up the nose is distracting.

Back has been ok, was actually really going to congratulate myself, but then woke up quite achey this morning. Still don't think I'll be loading any weight on my upper body for awhile. The pain has subsided quite a bit though, going to the pool at lunch and just gaining more body-awareness-looseness from the somatics class seems to be helping, more than anything else I've attempted.

Really don't want to go for snorkel tomorrow its freezing enough and have to get back home via dart & luas, but not going next week so need to blah blah

• Advertisement

Had a shioite snorkel, if I was two I would've just had a tantrum. Just wasn't feeling the love for the sea that morning, I can get over the freezing & crap viz usually but I just couldn't wait to get out of the water, Im usually the last one out. Not sure if I really want to do the St Pat's day snorks if the weather & sea is crap, maybe I just had a crap day and need to stop being so melodramatic:rolleyes:

Yesterday's pool swim went well enough, got a new nose clip. The water was lovely, like warm silk.

Back was at me after work in class though.

Hmm must try this test...maybe some of my pain stems from this?
    Stop-Packing-Down-Your-Shoulders-Before-It-s-too-late

Went for brief swim in pool, shoulders started to get bunched though so I stopped. Most likely going back in big pool tonight for some pool snorkels.

My puny muscles have gotten even punier, maybe I'll start bodybuilding next time I can pick up some weights, say like in the summer, hopefully things will be nice and better. Then hopefully back to WL before the end of the year

Hmm ok I do have a little tilt when I did that test on the video.

Anywayz had a stomach bug for a few days, but was able to do some swimming Thus, Mon & Tues, although I'm getting pains again even just from stroking in shoulder and ribs. Right shoulder especially, just doesn't want to turn smoothly in the water. But it feels like I'm making better progress with being able to keep going in the water, definitely feels easier other than the pain. I've had to concentrate more on small fast kicking, instead of relying on the arms so much.

No somatics class tomorrow:( and I really need it, been waking up from back pain as well. Would kill for a massage!

I'm bored and annoyed of walking to and fro work every day, even with music.

Went in pool Mon, Tues & Wed. Shoulder was bugging me every time I stroke my arm. Woke up with a mad headache on Wed, so took some pain killers, which seemed to have helped my shoulder when swimming, it felt grand and I was slicing through the water more consistently. I got the breathing down pat by now.

Thurs went to somatics class. Nothing too interesting to report, except that I did feel lighter walking afterwards, and was able to engage my lower back a bit more, although that's all gone now. I keep my left side in the back too tight for some reason. Can't seem to be able to loosen it or let it go.

Really need to do something about my diet, not getting enough protein, I've been very bad, not eating as much fish as I used to as well. So of course I'm sick again, just really a head cold this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

My sister-in-law's mum is very involved in somatic practice,
    http://www.gorsehill.net/origins.htm

My sister-in-law's mum is very involved in somatic practice,
    http://www.gorsehill.net/origins.htm

Is that to teach others? It's definitely different. A friend of mine across the sea who has MS speaks very highly about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

howtomake wrote: »
    Is that to teach others? It's definitely different. A friend of mine across the sea who has MS speaks very highly about it.

I couldn't tell you much more than's online, sorry :o

Stupid manky cold, did a mini detox over the long weekend with real food of course. Trying to unsnot my nose & stop the stomach from puffing up, some foods seem to make it worse.

Some lovely warm pool swimming today. still a little weak from the germs. Stayed in sauna for 15 mins.

Back & chest cavity kinda bugging me. Will go to somatics class at lunch tomorrow instead of swimming.

Bah class was cancelled on Thursday, walked all the way there in the rain, then the pool was closed by that time, so back was giving out a bit.

Braved the elements to get out to the pool at lunch yesterday, was already soaked by the time I got there but pool as usual was lovely and warm. Think its time to up the ante with swimming next week, things felt too easy.

Fook going snorkel tomorrow, think I'm finally over that cold. Might try out my new water resistant shoes and top tomorrow in the park.

• Advertisement

:mad: No Somatic class again this week.

Well I upped the ante on swimming, did more interval type swimming, swam hard for 2 then really slow for 2, etc etc. Didn't have much time though. The pool was soooo warm but lovely, until one of the guys gave out, so they added more cold water.

I got a new rubz spikey ball and a big ball for home. Back at me yesterday but some mobile work seemed to hold it up () until today...

went back to work after pool and after an hour back/ribs started at me, walking all the way home too, had to do my breathing/relaxing stint so I don't spasm up. I didn't do THAT much in the pool, sheesh.

Advertisement