Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sqit squats, pork ropes & swimming with the fish.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

The 45 minute walk to work actually took over an hour with the damn snow and these new not so comfortable heavy shoes. Every time I close my eyes I see snow flakes.

Took it slightly handier with the swimming today. Pain was localised on the left ribs instead of all around like yesterday, don't know maybe its PMS coming as well. Wore my back support while at the desk.

Just finished reading the most ludicrous article claiming yoga was from satan, hmmm must get back into it this weekend.

Did some yoga, left side keeps twinging, and even sleeping is bothering it. Feel like 2 steps back. Although in fairness I have not had any spasms around where I feel my heart for weeks now, so that is at least something. I've been at my balls for 2 days now.

Burg, have not been to pool in over a week now:o.

Finally back in somatic class, today was all about flexion & extension in the spine & getting the base of the neck & hips to move together, as well as moving the head in different patterns, trying to feel where the 'stuck' places are. Hypotherapy for the body!

Went to pool Monday only:(, stupid meeting at work on Tues but then went to Dr on Wed, thought I would have time afterwards.

Anyhoo went to somatics class, worked on ankles which was interesting since my right plantar F started cramping up. Other people in the class looked like they were a opening up a bit more in the back than me too.

Drs meh. She suggested acupuncture, which is all fine and dandy but not really sure if its going to help me. I've had it loads of times before for different things, just want some answers

Went for a big long walk trailing behind the runners at phoenix.

Made an appointment with that acupuncture but the Dr also sent me in for chest xray.

• Advertisement

Swimming yesterday, took it fairly handy, a bit achey.

Today's swim felt much better.

1.5 hr walking a day as normal, but boy do my muscles feel all punny and the rest of me feels flabby.

Been moping around about not being able to lift soooo....I signed up for a fencing class, it'll be interesting especially since the summit of my hand/eye coordination consists of dropping breakable things once a week. So should be nice and excruciatingly frustrating.

:eek: 2 1/2 weeks in the US and I've gained at least another size, oof must get rid of this. Back decided to spasm up on the long flight and had some sort of stomach bug, could not eat the last 38 hours.

(2) 45 minute walks today. The start of the fencing class has been postponed till next week, which fine, still jet lagged.

Lots o'walking for the week, 1.5+ hours a day, new shoes are working out grand.

Went to acupuncturist, felt nice while she was sticking needles in me, then she did some cupping which I still have bruises for, but 3 hours later at the desk at work, the back was at me still. At least she is a bit more clued in than the physio in the same office. After insurance though 6 visits won't break the bank too much.

Went back to somatics class this lunch time, she had us doing shoulder/arm stuff lying on our stomachs which felt weird.

Probably need to renew membership with pool too, twice a week should be good.

1st night of fencing
    ...a bit more vigorous than I thought for the first class, she had us going straight in there from the first. She listed off all the rules and crap, too many rules for me to really follow & be interested in that much. Was dissapointed that sabres are not used anymore.

Lots of foot work with lunges, to & fros, which will be great for the BUNZZZ & inner thighs. There was one move which involved a couple of forward moves, then foot cross overs then a lunge, can't remember the name or even how to do it.

Then we did some basic foil attacks and defensive moves (need to learn the lingo), which I didn't do any worse or better than anyone else so maybe my hand/eye coordination isn't too bad, erm maybe?

Wearing the wrong shoes for agility and the wrong top wearing all that protective gear.

Sweating loads though, right forearm needs to get used to all of this. Not sure if I was holding the foil right as I was trying to find a helmet that fit while she was going over how to hold the foil sword.

Also thinking of joining the gym near home again for 3 months.

Back at pool at lunch, oof its been too long, really felt it. Stupid right shoulder bugging again. Was too tired afterwards to get any decent amount of work done. Ribs killing me at that stupid desk as well, and its only Monday. At some stage I think I need a new kind of career:confused:

Went back to an old gym to try it out again. Hmmm was looking forward to using the studio for some walking lunges & stuff, but no go. They don't have much room to do that any where else. A few years back classes ended at 8ish, but now they go on & on.

But the hydro area is great for the back, the jacuzzi felt really good, if only the Mespil pool had one, the other gym's jacuzzi in town is pretty weak & the place isn't as clean as I'd like. The only thing is the money is a bit too much. Life is just filled with too many ifs!!!

Anyway before going to the water area did some intervals on bike & that stupid cross trainer, really out of shape. The usual 1.5 hours a day of walking every day too.

• Advertisement

Been sick from germy peeps at work.

Did some swimming that actually felt like it was getting back on track, then of course got sick.

Missed 2 fencing classes, went to 1 somatics class where she had us doing some weird rolling to get up thing that I just couldn't fully do.

Went for a walk-run this evening was so nice.

Really need to work on my immune system, upping up the anti inflammatory spices n stuff like tumeric & chili.

Meh, not too sure about fencing classes, maybe my friend was right when he said it's a bit ghey.

The first class was good, she had us do a bunch of fancy footwork that felt great for the bunz, we got to stab each other, worked up a sweat...all good. Anyway the 2nd class I just wasn't feeling it, got more of a workout with the 1hr walk on the way home.

I know she mentioned rules before & I understand its more a a gentlemen's sport but sheesh, just wasn't in the mood to try to follow, she actually had a rule book with her:rolleyes:. I can appreciate the grace & technique (from afar) just not sure if its for me.

Somatics class was ok, she thinks I might have been pushing myself a bit too much, but I did feel better after class, then of course back at the cursed desk & a few hours later back hurting.

Thinking of a new plan of attack for next week...

Found another way of getting more veggie greens in me, protein smoothies, never fully thought about how I one can make them without all the fruits.

did 4 actual lifting workouts (ooo with weights & all) :eek: in gym, some how it fell into a upper/lower body split, not on purpose but it works, with some interval work afterwards, then the only way i seem to be coping is to sit in the nice hot bubbly jacuzzi for 25 minutes right afterwards. too bad hercs doesn't have one.

Up and down the last couple of weeks, let my ego get in the way but I'm back to normal again. Had a nice enough workout with kettlebells this evening, definitely starting to like 'em, even though I dare only handle the little ones for now.

S'more lifting wittle kettlebells, and more jacuzzi, more diving. And starting that pilates class again that I never finished last yr. And no more fencing, might take it up again at some stage when i don't have anything else to do though.

Been working the KB conditioning strength stuff, I've been really tired of late though, not quite getting the high I was. But I think its actually helped my swimming better than even when I was swimming more. The first 100 meters went fast last night.

Lots o sunshiney snorkeling last week in the 33rd county, going around little islands only reached by boat..fishies, jelly fish, crabs, baby seal, cave swim throughs, sea slugs, deadman's fingers. Sometimes the water was as clear as a lake.

Tonight's pool swim went swimmingly too. I must've been really really out of condition at the beginning of the year, the KB condtioning certainly improved my swimming better than swimming 3 times a week.

I did a front squat for the first time in, er, I don't even know. Granted it was only 2 x 10 - 15kg.

The new physio is helping but I've gone and upset my hip flexors, or maybe they always bugged me but the rib/back pain was more.

Did some push presses & nice upper body workouts the last few times. Still light weight but at least I'm making improvements in the gym.

Pain is still at me, think I will need to go into a jacuzzi after every lifting workout permanently though. As well as loads of stretching.

Think the physio has done just about all she can in some ways, she's given me a few more stretches to do throughout the day at work.

Swimming tonight (I think its still on)

S'more lifting, push press is coming up to 20kg, think it was at 30kg the last time Tommy had be do them, but taking things down a bit again as spasms have been at me.

Seeing another physical therapist, but he does wl & kettle bell classes so at least he has an understanding of where I want to be. He is also going to work with me on my squat, body parts have not been cooperating, tisk tisk on that.

Swimming has been coming along but after 600 metres the ribs just start acting up, so have not been able to increase my distance.

• Advertisement

Ok been putting a light BB on back, just doing rear lunges with 12.5kg, and other various lifting stuff. The physical therapist helping me work on hips, pelvic & bunz and Dr. is going to run tests on cartilage, and go from there.

We got an oly bar at the gym, well everyone is using it for bench presses and I got some weird looks trying out some cleans. Been doing some swimming, think my shoulders are filling out from it, as I found to get more resistance by just using my arms and not kicking on the front crawl. Think I can add in some good mornings to the lifting. Small baby steps progress, up to 24kg on push presses.

Had a minor set back, tried to get in as many workouts as possible. But good news I've never been so in control of my glutes before. I'm still only squatting light (no back squats yet), but every time I go up it feels like someone sticking a pole up my arse, in a good way of course.

Going to test a 30kg push press over the next couple of weeks.

Worked up to 6 reps of 120kg hip thrusts, bunz be on man. If I could just get these ribs better permanently before I start losing it, even more.

Got a slight relapse in pain for the last few weeks that just won't go away. Still lifting some weights though. Went to try out a KB class, was great until we then went on to some WL, er... some people just shouldn't teach the snatch, c&j I think. That's all I'll say about it. But I was quite surprised and dumbfounded about what wasn't corrected. Think I'll skip that part next time, besides back was not happy with my trying out a 25kg snatch.

No real complaints, I've started to stand at work the last 2 weeks instead of sitting. Just can't sit at that desk anymore, it's a DIY set up but it works except for being able to see my co-workers.

Up to 130kg x 10 on hip thrusts, although I have not been working on them every week. Started a split program to work on some weak parts, glutes are going to take some time. Trying to eat more as well, didn't realise how hard it was to get in enough protein for building some muscle.

We are back on snorkels on the 1st of Jan. Have not been swimming in the last week since the pool is closed for Christmas times.

Good start to the new year, think I have the exercises for my new split down, have DOMs in the right places. Have to balance between what I want to do and what the back will let me do without complaining. Have not been going to the KB classes though like I had planned and had to skip a couple of swimming sessions due to work. And not working on any heavy hip thrusts of late, did 130kg for 10 just before Christmas.

But the new PT seems to be working out, at least when he does a fix it can last almost up to a week or maybe more now.
    Anyway maybe getting back to WL some time this year isn't too far off, don't know. Looks like Tommy might not be able to ever go back to coaching though.

Nothing exciting, been trying to put on some muscle and of course the fats come with it. Got s'more blood tests, have high ccp levels, so probably have rheumatoid arthritis (damn immune system), nothing is finalised yet but makes sense, a few years ago did the ana test, it was up then it was down yadda yadda. Thing is that its probably more important to make sure I just keep moving & strengthen.

Sick twice in one month, lost some weight pretty fast the 2nd time around, so that must mean I lost the muscles I've been building on since Dec. And strength as well but I'll get that back easier than the actual muscle mass, I'm back to intuitive eating, or well eating when my body says to eat. And making damn sure I take care of my immune system.

Continuing to work on the posterior muscles. Back to yoga classes this week and back to swimming at least twice a week.

Still thinking about getting back into WL, I don't think I'll ever be able to get back on a full program, but I'll be happy do even be able to do it once a week and go from there.

• Advertisement

No real complaints been put on biologicals for autoimmune stufff, but off the groggy drugs which is nice, immune system has been up and down. But starting to stay away from people with germs, got a bike so I don't have to take a steaming infected bus anymore.

But when I've been feeling good I've had some pretty good endorphined filled workouts. Definitely outgrowing the current gym though. Maybe I can start some real strength training soon, no back squats but I've slowly building up the front squats

Advertisement