Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sqit squats, pork ropes & swimming with the fish.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

Again, had to speed through workout, but at least I made it to the gym in time before closing to do something.

DB Single Leg Deadlifts
    17.5kg ea DB
    5x5 - my grip felt pretty good with the 17.5kg, 20kg soon I hope

Close grip DB push presses
    1 set 10kg ea (these felt easy so went up)
    4 sets 12.5kg
    5x6 - - no shoulder twinges, YAY:D:D. Just the last 2 reps of each set felt heavy

Tabata 4 mins on bike
    20 secs high intensity
    10 sec rest

I made sure to push myself a bit more on these, had some gas left in the tank since I only did 2 lifting exercises anyway. AND I finally noticed that the pedals are adjustable, silly me.:o

So there was some progress in the increase in weight, but not nearly as much as I should be. The next 2 weeks have to really focus, TOM just drains me, not to mention the pain killers.

So it has been awhile since I did any outdoor running, went to the park and whenever a hill presented itself, I sprinted up it. About 8 of them, 2 really steep ones, one being my old friend from back in '09, its a tough one so only did that once. For some reason my knee was a little fickity :rolleyes:, they are usually fine.

Anyway I noticed on yesterday's Single-Leg-DLs since I upped the weight, I wasn't pushing my hips back enough. It is hard to watch the form in the mirror when I have to concentrate on not falling over. Next time will watch that. All in all I'm nice and sore.:)

Had to miss snorkeling again this week, feel lazy/guilty for missing it but also it is nice not to be knackered on a Sunday. It is such a chore having to pack, hall my a** and gear out there, then put on, take off then hall my a** and gear back home to rinse the gear in not so ideal conditions. Besides there is nothing really to see in the pea soup of Dublin bay if you are not actually diving. I'm just trying to make myself feel better and less guilty.

ACK!:mad::(

Did some chin work at home. It seems those 12.5kg DB's with presses did a bit more than I thought. I had to do a shoulder warm up for 20 minutes before I could even attempt to think about using them. Tried a push up and it actually made me feel nauseated to use the shoulder.

Chin work:
    partial unassisted - only up something like 1/8th of an inch, but I guess I should be happy I'm not down like I was during TOM.

negatives - 3 reps w/ 12lbs diving belt, these felt harder

assisted chins - uh yeah didn't want to upset the shoulder too much so only did 3 reps of 1 set

assisted pull up - 3 reps

So looks like I'll have to give the shoulder a rest until Thursday I think. Anyway I'm going to the gym soon, as soon as I can get out of here, to finish off the workout.

So I fluffed around at home before I could go to the gym. Just did some messing on some mobility exercises, like shoulder dislocates, etc.

Then at the gym did:
    7 mins rower
    13 mins stepper (me lower right back was giving out during the stepper though)

I was then kicked out of the gym

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Chin up :)

(oh crap, no pun intended!!)

G86 wrote: »
    Chin up :)

(oh crap, no pun intended!!)

Aw, I thought the pun was cute. Yah I know, no use in fighting with my body, just have to listen to it, we'll get there eventually.

Ok so I wasn't going to do any upper body tonight but I won't be able to go the gym on Thurs, maybe not Fri and unfortunately maybe not Sat (stupid schedule!!). This is my plan taken from my Feb 17th session, let's see if I can up those weights and/or reps.

5 sets x 6 reps
    Lat pull down -
    Single Leg Deadlift -

3 sets x 8 reps
    Bulgarian Split squats -
    BB row

2 sets x 10 reps
    Good mornings -
    DB press -

Intervals

• Advertisement

Didn't quite go as planned. Felt really good on the first two exercises, so on the 4th set I upped the weights, they actually felt pretty easy, although I had to pause as me forearms were killing me (but in a good way). Um after that well the energy went kaput! At first thought I was having some sort of endorphin high, turns out I was just spaced out, I looked in the mirror and it wasn't pretty. But hell the 1st two exercises I upped the weight on a set so it is some sort of progress.

5 sets x 5 reps
    Lat pull down - Sets 1-3 & 5 8th pin; set 4 went up to 9th pin
    Single Leg Deadlift w/ dbs - Sets 1-3 & 5 17.5kg DB ea; set 4 20kg DB ea

Down hill and all over the place....
    Bulgarian Split squats - set 1 - 10 reps; set 2 - 8 reps; set 3 - 6 reps
    (my hip just didn't feel right at all on this exercise)
    BB row - 30kg 5 reps
    Good mornings - 3 sets 15 reps
    Dips - 2 sets 10 reps (shoulder a bit ouchy)
    DB snatch - 10kg 5 reps ea

Intervals
    10 mins on treadmill - 1 min fast/1 min walk (rinse & repeat).

My plan for intervals is to work on my breath control for diving. So upping the heart rate, then practice trying to lower it and even out breath during the 1 minute walk.
    I really need a new mp3 player, cardio sucks without good music.

Ooof all day day today, couldn't look at my monitor.

Did some lengths in the pool, oof you certainly feel it after not doing some serious swimming for a couple weeks. But did try a new toy, some plastic hand webbed "thingies" you use in the pool for your arm stroke to strengthen your arms. Gotta get some. Maybe it might help to strengthen my shoulder (as long as I take it easy at first).

I'm not sure about these anymore. I only started them because someone somewhere suggested they are good strengthening you for handling weight belts when snorkeling:confused:. Oh right and if anyone cares to know I have slight structural scoliosis in lower back.

Also I just noticed my naming conventions are not quite in line. When I say SLDL, I mean single leg deadlift not stiff leg deadlift. And DB presses really means DB bench presses.

So yesterday was bad with food, the only exercise I got was lugging around luggage up hills and stuff, was tiring enough. Oh and yep just as I thought, the weight/inches are going up slightly, more weight doesn't help the chins.

Not sure if I should do yoga and pool tonight, I actually have some time to myself. Defo need to go snorkel this weekend, got 2 more weekends of snorks before diving commences.

So only did yoga last night, nothing too exciting just trying to loosen things up and get my head under control with some mind/body connection. I might have to take back what I said before, actually made it to the gym today for a quickie and not sure about snorkels this weekend, still have no place to rinse gear.

As for my chins, well I think I need to go back to adding inverted rows and some ywtl's (don't like these they are very boring), but my usual set up is in disarray until the building settles at home.

Today's quickie:

Single leg deadlift 3x5
    set 1 - 17.5kg ea db
    set 2/3 - 20kg ea db, um the last 3 reps on my last set for my last leg went a bit wonky. Not sure if I was ready for 2 sets of 20kg db's.

BB rows 3x6
    35kg (added to very unstable plates to 30kg bar)

Rear lunge elevated foot & good mornings 2x6 (hips have not felt right on bulgarians so switched)
    20kg
    (again hip was twitchy and I was running out of time so cut these exercises short)

tricep rope pulldown - 3x6 pin 2 (again)

Intervals on bike
    7 mins 20 secs hard/10 secs slow - was trying to go for tabata but took me 4 minutes to really warm up, then I was able to push myself enough

Had to finish my cool down at home, was kicked out again at gym.

• Advertisement

No snorks but did 7 hill sprints today, and 2 regular sprints. Felt like I had a bit more power in the legs. So much more rewarding than plodding along with regular running. Although I feel like a spaz at times.

inverted rows
    chins
    grip work
    db bench press
    ytwl
    tricep rope pulldowns
    rower
    tabata

gonna have to post stats tomorrow....

I didn't feel strong, but felt like I had the energy to really push myself. Going to concentrate on intensity this week, no use in being upset about my stall in progress.

I tried 5 push ups, meh not good, shoulder feels like it's going to pop out or something.

at home
    inverted rows
    3x5

chins
    6x5 assisted, felt weaker but really pushed myself, making horrible faces and all:)

grip work
    10kg db rows with fat grip and just plain walking around with db's in hand

at gym
    db bench press
    1x8 8kg ea for warm up, someone else had the 10kg's
    2x5 12.5kg ea, felt relatively good except for shoulder twinge

ytwl
    2x5
    1 set 4kg ea
    2nd set on the 'l' & 'y' had to take it down to 2.5kg ea

tricep rope pulldowns
    2x6
    2nd pin, tried 3rd pin triceps wimped out

some cardio
    rower
    5 setting, think 6 minutues, ooops forgot to tell them I kinda broke the other rower, I'm just that strong :rolleyes: (haha I wish).

tabata on bike
    did these nice & hard, 4 mins at 8th setting 20secs/10secs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

What's the craic with your shoulder? Old injury?

G86 wrote: »
    What's the craic with your shoulder? Old injury?

About over a year ago, nothing too major but it took a long time to heal before I could use it without pain. It got better, then I over did it and hurt it again. Went to drs, physios, physical therapists, etc then went to a personal trainer who actually hurt/healed his shoulder, got much better while getting stronger again training with him. But unfortunately it still niggles me and if I don't watch it, it niggles me more. I just have to keep on top of it. But I've a got few little niggles like that anyway, especially lower body doing track in school & such.

Oh yeah and I'm sure this extra 5 1/2 pounds I put on doesn't help with the chins either, as I know it wasn't 5.5lbs of muscle. Ooof, clothes are just a bit tighter too. None-the-less I think I need to eat more during the day. But I think I'm pumping a bit testosterone throughout my body ;), what little I have any way.

Dead-stop (???) Zercher squats
    Front squats
    RDL
    Crosstrainer

Took me a little while to get the zercher squats, also my first 'clean' to get a higher weight for the front squats wasn't that great either. Why did I think that front squats wouldn't also get to the glutes either? Really felt these in me buns.

at home
    Dead-stop (???) Zercher squats:
    1 set x 10 reps 22.5kg
    2-3 sets x 10 reps 27.5kg

Front squats:
    Cleaned 27.5kg then did 2 sets x 10 reps

at gym
    DB RDL (both legs this time, my right hamstring was politely asking me to go easy):
    1/2 sets 8 reps - 22.5kg ea
    3-5 sets 5 reps - 25kg ea (wanted to see how my grip was for the 25kg dumbbells, might keep it here for awhile, instead of single leg work to work on my grip)

Crosstrainer
    30 mins. Been a long while since I did SS cardio on a machine, definitely need music for it. Normally I prefer machines that I can stomp on instead of gliding on.

Bad thing, after I came home and had a protein shake I feel instantly asleep, missed dinner after all that work. A few years ago that wouldn't have bothered me, but I know you need to eat well after a nice session if you want to get stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

howtomake wrote: »
    Took me a little while to get the zercher squats, also my first 'clean' to get a higher weight for the front squats wasn't that great either. Why did I think that front squats wouldn't also get to the glutes either? Really felt these in me buns.

at home
    Dead-stop (???) Zercher squats:
    1 set x 10 reps 22.5kg
    2-3 sets x 10 reps 27.5kg

Front squats:
    Cleaned 27.5kg then did 2 sets x 10 reps

at gym
    DB RDL (both legs this time, my right hamstring was politely asking me to go easy):
    1/2 sets 8 reps - 22.5kg ea
    3-5 sets 5 reps - 25kg ea (wanted to see how my grip was for the 25kg dumbbells, might keep it here for awhile, instead of single leg work to work on my grip)

Crosstrainer
    30 mins. Been a long while since I did SS cardio on a machine, definitely need music for it. Normally I prefer machines that I can stomp on instead of gliding on.

Bad thing, after I came home and had a protein shake I feel instantly asleep, missed dinner after all that work. A few years ago that wouldn't have bothered me, but I know you need to eat well after a nice session if you want to get stronger.

Nice one that sounded like a good session.

Not to mention Monday's upper body and yesterday's lower body, got my abs good too. Feeling it today, in a good way of course.

Whatever about half body workouts, it is easier for me to do them since I can do back to back days with my schedule. And for some reason I can mentally focus on my muscles if I split it up. Of course in a few weeks I'll be bored of them again, but going back to half body workouts for awhile.

I was hoping to do sprints tomorrow since gym is closed but looks like it might rain. Might just work on chins and grip at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Chins + grip training = horrific. Fair play :)

Dathai wrote: »
    Chins + grip training = horrific. Fair play :)

My grip is holding me back on a lot of things, fecking rows, fecking chins, fecking db deadlifts, etc. I mean what if I find myself hanging from a ledge and need to pull myself up? I'd be screwed :p. It is my one weakness that is not due to an injury, therefore no excuses.

Ah swimming tonight, really don't want to go. Hate the walk & getting stuff together. But last week was pretty pathetic since I had not done any proper swimming in a couple of weeks. Not looking forward to how hard the sea snorks will be either. Ah, guess I shouldn't be complaining, everything is functioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

howtomake wrote: »
    My grip is holding me back on a lot of things, fecking rows, fecking chins, fecking db deadlifts, etc. I mean what if I find myself hanging from a ledge and need to pull myself up? I'd be screwed :p. It is my one weakness that is not due to an injury, therefore no excuses. .

This used to be a major problem for me when I was deadlifting. Hasn't been much of a problem at all in recent times tho:) There's a lot to be said for picking up heavy weights and walking with them...repeatedly..works for me:D

gymfreak wrote: »
    This used to be a major problem for me when I was deadlifting. Hasn't been much of a problem at all in recent times tho:) There's a lot to be said for picking up heavy weights and walking with them...repeatedly..works for me:D

Yes I would assume such a 'superfreak' wink.gif as yourself has overcome her grip weaknesses.

Hmm, wonder if I can take some weights with me to work and walk around there. They think I'm weird anyway...

Eh, everyone was a bit lazy in the pool tonight, so of course being the 'monkey see monkey do' sort of person that I am, I was bit lazy myself. I did have some bouts of vigorous swims now and then, but no where near the number of lengths I should've done. Certainly not enough to justify my having a few glasses of wine right now:pac::pac::pac:

Today I did nothing, kept falling asleep. Finally got some energy around 5ish, worked on my chins like I said I would and grip. Never made it to park. Didn't want to test my unassisted chin, as I couldn't face any disappointment, but I did feel stronger doing the assisted ones.

Assisted Chins
    5 sets 7 reps

1 set 5 reps:
    Negatives
    Assisted Pull up

3 reps of measly push ups (damn shoulder)

YTWL
    2 sets 5 reps - 2.5kg plates

Grip work
    walked around with a nice fat grip around 13kg DB about 8 times, not sure how long but made sure it hurt (the good kind of hurt) before I took a rest, something like 10 minutes total with taking some rests in between.

Ooof, I had such high hopes for yesterday. Thought I was going to go sprinting in the sun in the park, but by the time I got home it was getting dark and the stupid clouds settled in. Then I couldn't get to my barbell with all the damn wood & tools blocking it.

By the time I got to the gym (& it took great effort to get me there) all I did was mess around in the pool. Got to play with some floaty things. Think I need to get those hand webbed thingies and maybe some goggles.

So did some sprints, not as many as I wanted, had to go home, we had a minor explosion (ok I'm being a bit dramatic but the builder came round to sort it). I find flat ground sprinting to engage the glutes a bit better. They felt easier this time. I'm not exactly sure how fast a sprint I do but it feels good & powerful. My right hip again was politely asking me to take it a bit easier than I had planned. Need new foam roller!!!!

I should maybe start timing all this but that will take away the fun, I know I take long rests, depending on where I am in the park. Something like 5 minutes, but I like to enjoy the scenery, and gives me a chance on working on my breath control.

Anyway today only sprinted 8 times, should've been 10.

Had a fantastic snorkel this morning in the sun. Was tough, but didn't wear my extra layer of a shorty so I was able to get my legs/fins under the water better. Me ankle was giving out though and my legs felt stiff from the sprints yesterday. Did a rescue tow exercise as well, a few duck dives, etc.

And last night, after a few drinks decided to test my unassisted chin up, and I'm up another 1.5 inches. Was going to do more chin work this afternoon but of course I injured my hand this afternoon, slammed a door on it. FFS, so typical of me, hoping it'll calm down by tomorrow.

Anyway tired!

• Advertisement

Tonight's possible upper body workout, depending on amount of time I have once I get out of here.

at home
    inverted rows

chins

grip work

at gym
    db bench press

ytwl

tricep rope pulldowns

some cardio
    tabata on bike

Advertisement