Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sqit squats, pork ropes & swimming with the fish.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

Did about 3 sets of 5 reps assisted chins, still feeling very weak & achey. Managed a very slow walk in the park, was nice though.

Had a great dive, buoyancy was spot on, only had to touch the bottom with my finger tips about 3 times, went my deepest depth too. Soo tired though.

Did 3 sets of 5 assisted chins, 1 set a negatives. Starting to feel better, might go for a sprint tomorrow.

Feeling a bit better today, hopefully back to normal, these 'spells' are starting to get annoying but I can't fight with my body, doesn't do any good.

Went to check out ECB, seems pretty good, if not far away. Going to do a session next week, see how I get on. Everyone there seems pretty cool.

Form wasn't as good as the week before, about 3/4 of the way up, my knees started to bend up. Think its a bit of weakness in the abs/hip area, I've certainly been neglecting strengthening that area. Oh and I pumped myself full of coffee, so I'm sure the caffeine high helped a little. I'm happy to have gotten up again but my poor form towards the end kinda killed the buzz.

I can't seem to do one consistently but was able to do one again today, after the 1st try. 3rd was no go, but almost. Really need to strengthen ab/hip area, upper body seems to be fine, well relative to getting me up to the bar. Why did I at least not keep up my planks, ah well live and learn. Anyway sprinting in a few minutes...

• Advertisement

Ok so no sprints in the park, got to be too late. Went for some SS cardio on the treadmill with my new music player. Endurance was ok, but my legs were protesting a bit since they have not done any steady running for awhile. There's just something 'funny' about running on the treadmill.

Off for diving over the weekend in some nice clear water (for a change).

A whole weekend of diving and I feel like someone has run over me. I can't bend my fingers fully from pulling on and off that damn sticky-wet wetsuit, need a dry suit soon! Was terrific :) going on around the islands though, like a faire land with the sun and all.

Anyway I have my free test session at ECB this evening, not sure how I'm going to be able to grip anything though, my fingers are so sore and for some reason my elbows too.

So looks like I'll be crazy enough to skip all the way out to Bray twice a week and learn some olympic lifting. Had a nice session with Wayne, was patient enough with me.

Was told I did well for the first time, only played with a 15kg bar. I seem to get a bit too enthusiastic when I jump out, gotta keep my wrists straighter and keep the bar close to me. That last part, of keeping the bar close, I can't quite see in my head. All and all it was a good buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

howtomake wrote: »
    So looks like I'll be crazy enough to skip all the way out to Bray twice a week and learn some olympic lifting. Had a nice session with Wayne, was patient enough with me.

Was told I did well for the first time, only played with a 15kg bar. I seem to get a bit too enthusiastic when I jump out, gotta keep my wrists straighter and keep the bar close to me. That last part, of keeping the bar close, I can't quite see in my head. All and all it was a good buzz.

Hey howtomake, just a quick pop-in to say that your flexibilty, particularly with the Snatch technique that you were learning tonight, for a beginner to Olympic Weightlifting, was amazing! :D Keep up the good work. I'd say weight will be added to the bar in the coming weeks, even quicker given your progress, so I wouldn't worry about any of that just yet. Learning proper technique is all-important.

Looking forward to training with you in East Coast Barbell! :)

Frogdog wrote: »
    Hey howtomake, just a quick pop-in to say that your flexibilty, particularly with the Snatch technique that you were learning tonight, for a beginner to Olympic Weightlifting, was amazing! :D Keep up the good work. I'd say weight will be added to the bar in the coming weeks, even quicker given your progress, so I wouldn't worry about any of that just yet. Learning proper technique is all-important.

Looking forward to training with you in East Coast Barbell! :)

Haha thanks, I think they should hire you for sales.

More good news, my blood tests came back normal. But still don't know WTF is wrong with me, but at least its nothing seriously obvious. Hmm, wonder if I will have to go down the 'hippie treatment' road, but really don't have money for any of that kind of messing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 East Coast Barbell

Glad you enjoyed it yesterday; you certainly have an aptitude for the lifts. We are all looking forward to seeing you improve in the coming weeks.

We are all looking forward to seeing you improve in the coming weeks.

Ah the pressure!!!

What's the use in being able to do a chin if you can't do it on demand?:mad: Again took 3 tries to do it, with slight bend in the hips again.

Did a yoga sequence, been awhile, especially now that I know I have small little girly wrists from flinging that bar around yesterday.

Really enjoyed that session too even though I was a nervous wreck thinking about on the bus ride up, don't know why I do that to myself.

Did a few sets of the breakdown of the snatch and some squats (Wayne's way). Think I kind of understood how the bar should feel when I catch it, I definitely can tell when I don't get it close enough to my body. Wayne's instructions are pretty clear, especially when he said to put in some speed on the way up overhead. Even if I had to struggle a bit more still would've enjoyed it. Although my right hip is a bit sore and tight now, need to roll it out.

Anyway yesterday... hangover and chins do not mix. Oof and the clothes are starting to feel a bit more snug, ever since St Pat's day and all the other holidays I've been much too relaxed about what I'm eating and drinking. But its just because I have not been paying attention or thinking about it.

Ok maybe yesterday wasn't the day to go back to sprinting, the day before I'm supposed to be learning/doing something new. Hip is at me again. Had a neck pain for the whole weekend, couldn't move my head to the left.

Yesterday...Did yoga, 2 sets assisted chins and sprints. To be fair I needed to blow off some steam, I felt so disconnected with my body the last few days.

Anyway today is East Coast Barbell day, hopefully my body loosens up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Really looking forward to reading about how your training goes, if you took to it like that straight away I bet you'll be progressing pretty quickly over the next few weeks! :)

Actually my body and mind were not on speaking terms either, last few days all my brain's messages to my body were stress. Can see how even slight tiredness can throw you off. I got a good few nice ones though, at least the 2nd last one was good.

Kind of relieved about not having so good of a session, get that out of the way. Also felt like I kept rounding up on my toes, hip a bit tight.

Oh well moving on, Friday is another session.

Yep not 100%, on the way home started sniffling and slight cough. Woke up this morning feeling a little sniffy and a slightly clogged chest. Great:rolleyes:! Would love to just do nothing tonight but have CPR training.

I hope pain really is weakness leaving the body, my hands, wrists, elbows and forearms are killing me. Still have a numb spot on my thumb. Wayne says the wrist aches will stop over time, have to believe him.

But feeling a bit better, sniffles seem to be under control and no more coughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭supposedly

The wrist aches stopped being a problem for me as soon as I got myself a pair of wrist wraps. Usually about €7/8 from ebay and they arrive in about a week. I think powerstar are the brand I got but I'm sure they'd all do the same thing.

Hope you feel better soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

I hope pain really is weakness leaving the body, my hands, wrists, elbows and forearms are killing me. Still have a numb spot on my thumb. Wayne says the wrist aches will stop over time, have to believe him.

But feeling a bit better, sniffles seem to be under control and no more coughing.

My wrists used to be in bits doing front squats, but are now a lot better.

Trust in Wayne! :D

• Advertisement

Frogdog wrote: »
    My wrists used to be in bits doing front squats, but are now a lot better.

Trust in Wayne! :D

FroggyDoggy!____Mmmm, squats! Wayne doesn't want to work on them again until he gets "ok" from Emma, seeing her next week. Would really love to start working weight on my squat, I've been dreaming for years of a rack!

Ok so coffee is definitely in order before sessions at ECB, especially to get through the bus journey up there. Everybody and their mother was on the road, and wanted to stop at just about every bus stop. Friday seemed worse than Tuesday. Headphones are a god-send to block out people, forgot them on Tues, can't deal with the public sometimes.

This session was better than Tues, don't know what went on that day except I've had a crappy week and that day was in the thick of it. So the last 4 snatch sets Wayne added... I think 3 kg, can't remember? Then another 1kg for last 2. Haha, so almost up the 20kg, not that its much. We did an extra set because I was almost getting it. A few times somehow managed to get the bar to travel up my thighs properly & use the hip, but not always. I really wanted to keep going but I must do what I'm told.

Still keep jumping back a bit, like I'm scared of the bar or something:rolleyes: and can't seem to engage my hams without the glutes too much, Wayne really wants me to see Emma (ECB physio) as it might be another little niggly issue of mine.

We started on the initial steps of a jerk & did some step ups. I did take out my orthopedic inserts to get closer to the floor (only really need them for walking and running), might have to get flatter shoes than runners, hate any kind of shopping.

Oof after that week, me and wine are getting acquainted again, don't want to go diving this weekend, want to sit on my lazy butt. Hopefully have some energy to go sprinting/walking in park tomorrow, maybe wrestle with that chin bar too.

Although if I had the energy would love to go back for another session tomorrow, I think 2 more sessions and I'll be able to gush out my thoughts/emotions on Oly lifting.

Sat had to work, even though it was still later the thought of it made me want to do nothing all day. Stupid weather so I didn't do any sprints.

Sun went diving in fresh water, my first time diving in fresh water. It was fricking cold! But really nice to not get a mouth full of salt water when coming on the surface. Also nice not to have to rinse gear!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

Had some time to myself so did 10 minute yoga, uh, yeah shoulders and wrists feeling a little weak.

Anyway been looking at some vids on snatches. Oof I really want to work on not jumping back this week. The pros I was watching just seem to keep their feet in the same place.
    UGH it is also high-estrogen week too;), not sure what being doped up on ponstan, my usual loss of strength and nausea will do to training. It's usually never pretty :eek: this time of month.

So was a bit tired (even though I had some redbull) and it definitely showed on some of my snatches. Did some pretty good ones (judging by Wayne's face) but also did my worst yet (judging by Wayne's face). It was ugly, don't even know how I did it except I was tired and just wanted to get it over with. On the bright side on quite a few my feet landed in the right spot, no jumping back:).

Then I got a bit "foot placement obsessed" and kept looking down when I should've been looking straight ahead, ya know to keep my balance. But I was thinking about foot placement all week.

Anyway next week is hip obsession, going to get those damn hips to drive the bar up!!!!!

We tried 25kg, but my wrists just were not snapping up but I think most of it was just mental. We did bandage my left wrist, which felt nice.

Finally a trainer/coach that understands a woman's monthly cycle though. He suggested (without any prompting from me) to do lighter/deloading sessions when my 'friend' comes around.

Speaking of hip, oof me left one :eek:!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 East Coast Barbell

Remember to let the coach do the obsessing over technique; you simply act out Wayne's instructions! If you obsess over technique you will not progress as quickly as if you focus on the one aspect that Wayne wants you to focus on.

I hope you are enjoying the process because it is fun learning completely new skills that improve your physical attributes and mental ones also.

Remember to let the coach do the obsessing over technique; you simply act out Wayne's instructions! If you obsess over technique you will not progress as quickly as if you focus on the one aspect that Wayne wants you to focus on.

I hope you are enjoying the process because it is fun learning completely new skills that improve your physical attributes and mental ones also.

Alright I won't over think it, it is just in my nature. I'll go back to over analysing my bouyancy for diving instead:p.

But don't worry I am enjoying the process even with all my over-thinking and nervousness. Can't wait to get an actual program though, just have to see Emma.

Yay finally got my first booboo from the bar. Big ol red swollen bump on my knee, thank gawd for ice. Took a picture for memory sake, but too much trouble to post it on here. Besides I have lots of other booboos just from normal day to day walking around. So yesterday we or rather I, started the bar from below the knees (hence my ouchie) on the snatch and clean, didn't do any jerks.

My wrists were still a bit funny, we added some weight that I've snatched before no problem, but my wrists couldn't snap the weight up. Maybe they need to get weaker before they get stronger:confused:.

But no matter about the weight, since I still can't get my head around the bar travelling up my thighs, its like there's a bermuda fog in my head that part of the pull, it just goes missing from my perception. Wayne did say after a few snatches things were going a lot smoother, even if the bar wasn't as close as I'd like it to be to my thighs. Just need to do more.

Barry and I philosophised a bit about weight lifting, then I went home. Took forever to get home. Think I need flatter shoes too.

Hmm, so met with physio, seems I've been unfairly giving out about my left hip, poor thing has been bothering me for last couple of years because it is compensating for my right hip. My right leg is very unstable, think its my plantar fascia (sp?) which affects my knee stabilisation and hip, basically my entire right leg. Won't really know until after her complete analysis. Which explains why my right foot likes to turn out when I land in an OH squat.

My right scapula needs a bit more work on stabilisation too, but I kinda knew that anyway, which is why I can't do any push ups anymore.

Was too tired and kinda sicky to train but will be back tomorrow. This weather needs to warm up.

Head wasn't in the right space by the time I got to ECB. Bus took 1.5 hours, was very frustrated by the time I got there and thought I'd only have time for a 15 minute session. Didn't quite give myself enough time to warm up. Anyway nothing was working. Wayne suggested we just go for some pure strength training, inverted rows are getting easier, anyway much better than doing it under the kitchen table.

Today wasn't a complete loss though, I think one of my problems with the bar not traveling up my thighs close enough has to do with how stiff & far back I keep shoulders on way up. I was a bit frustrated not to be able to work on this new awareness but suppose it teaches me how I really need to focus within to do these lifts. Too much external sh*t bugging me.

...well relatively speaking since I've only had 7 or is it 8? 2 cans of redbull is the way to go, and a nice long warm up.

Got up to that 25kg finally on the snatch, from the hang position at least. Only 2 reps of really good ones on the 25 though, but still progress:D. Gotta strengthen these wrists that was holding me back even though I had them wrapped.

But the bar traveling up my thighs on the snatch have been good, not as good as from a clean but Wayne had no complaints. Did some hang cleans too, 32kg. Had to be reminded to let the bar travel up the thighs but once I was told went very very well on that part.

Still can't get around my knees too well though so he let me leave most of the sets from the hang.

Did some band crab walks for the glute activation and inverted rows, gotta get those scapulars stabilised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Redbull is awesome. Especially when there's more than one can of it.

Good going on the snatches!

Advertisement