Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sqit squats, pork ropes & swimming with the fish.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

Had to drag my a$$ again into the gym. Downed 3 cans of redbull to get me there, felt sick to my stomach the first half from that artificial crap, then last half finally kicked in. Won't be doing that again.

Just did some planks/ball taps, then tabata on bike (not sure if its good for the knee or what??), then did a good few laps in the pool.

Forgot my mask & snorkel, but used someone else's snorkel that doesn't have a blow hole and found that much better. Live and learn, might go buy one I saw that you can just fold up, more compact. I usually keep the snorkel in my knife's strap anyway, as I don't like it bobbing around my mask when diving.

Well one good piece of news, and it also maybe why I've been feeling a lack of energy too, the clothes are fitting looser. My weight seems to have stayed the same going by the scale in that gym, although I don't quite trust it. Not that I care about weight, the clothes fitting looser feels nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭supposedly

Well done!

supposedly wrote: »
    Well done!

Thanks:), its funny because ever since I started oly lifting & trekking to Bray, I gained weight, wasn't able to regulate my appetite, the first month I just felt so shattered, and then not really having the time/energy to do other activities (besides swimming/diving) that I would normally do. Having this little bit of extra time to plan & make my food throughout the week has helped alot.

Ugh, so tried to do some snatch drops, I know I need to work on locking out my shoulders at the end. I wasn't feeling 100%, after 5 reps I just gave up before the bar landed on my head. Missed diving too:(, just trying to get better, been doing some yoga here & there, things are a bit achey. Think I need to monitor my protein a bit more so I get enough, hardly ate all weekend.

• Advertisement

Knee still at me a little, need to learn how to wrap the dang thing properly. Was hoping the rest did it some good, maybe its just getting used to the exercise I have to do to it. Need to loosen the quad a bit perhaps.

Did some snatching, not too many reps & kept it light. Feels like its been ages. Think the last good session was on the 13th. New environment next week though. Think I lost some strength with losing the little weight that I did. Did some YTWL's, and my knee exercise, plus foaming.

Swimming Wed, although was probably doing more messing than actual swimming, one of the lads in the club brought his son so we had a few tumble offs, dunkings and such nonsense.

Some snatching yesterday but with light weight, technique has gone south, but seriously wasn't in the mood anyway. PT is looking into a better knee wrap for me, where I can still squat ok.

This weekend just going to work on me mobility issues, hips, shoulder, etc. I'm trying not to hurt anything so I can be all ready to go for next week with Ms Supp.

Diving Sun, yay, sun better come back out!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Red Cortina

howtomake wrote: »
    Diving Sun, yay, sun better come back out!
    Supposed to be nice on Sunday in Dublin according to accuweather.com so hopefully you'll get going:)

Training with Ms.Supp in Hercs went well, program with squats, deadlifts, press ups, core & more:rolleyes: bulgarians, some weird contortion exercise for the glutes. She then tortured me for with this ,ok maybe it was only torture on the left side.

Need to find a more efficient way to get to Hercs from work. Knee was grand on the squats with the knee wrap, although I'm not to go too deep until I can get that butt wink sorted. I'd say I only need the knee wrap for a little while. Been ages since I've done any deadlifting.

Then went to pool, few laps, can't believe I had some energy cuz I didn't know I didn't eat enough today. Was a bit perturbed because I did feel my sinuses tweak a bit when I did a couple of underwater laps:(.

Finally got that darn 30kg snatch (even with a head/neck ache), Tommy decided to sneak that on me after he poo pooed the that the most I snatched was 28kg (& that was in July if memory serves me), Ms Supp thinks 40kg is around the corner once I iron out technique & get my confidence up (haha that's the same story for everything).

Anyway first oly session at Hercs was very encouraging, nothing but nice things to say about the coaching & training partner. Although I've forgotten how to do cleans and my jerk was well...:rolleyes: pretty jerky. Felt great to also be able to drop the darnit bar unlike that blah york bar at home, I'm not going back to that set up!

Anyone want a free york bar and weights?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

Finally got that darn 30kg snatch

You're on drugs!

token wrote: »
    You're on drugs!
    i-see-what-you-did-there-10471-1306418819-24.jpg

Ack, was doing a run through the 2 star diving test, we got out a little later we had planned and the damn currents started, had to cut the pre test short, then I had to fight my way to the rocks along Sandycove via snorkel, towards the end when we knew we would have enough air I got to use the regulator again. Freaking wind & waves kept getting water in my snorkel when I was already fighting for breath as it was.

Sure a learning experience... but not one I'd want to volunteer for too soon, I did learn the importance of swimming across a current though. Lost my flipping knife too, and even though I did check the bottle came loose from my bcd from being tossed around the place. Did get a good cardio workout though:rolleyes:

Oof tired, achey, sleepy, sluggish, etc.

Didn't do too much, in between sets Tommy & I spoke about the sea around Dublin. Worked on my foot placement on the snatch, right foot keeps wanting to point out, happens on plain old squats if I'm not careful either. We kept the snatching light to test out my knee without the support, feels like its nearly 90% better although did niggle me a tiny bit afterwards. FS & presses, went on the treadmill for some endurance. Woke up and right hip is now niggling me.

I had to stop that redbull nonsense before training. I think I could walk to and catch the luas & it would only take 30 mins to get to Hercs, we'll see tonight.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Don't know how I made it to the gym, I think I must've been running on nervous energy. Only 3 sets of 3 that Tommy gave me, as 7 was approaching. Flipping right foot again, I wonder if I need to really work on loosening something up. One of the guys mentioned that my 2nd or 3rd rep of the sets were good, but for some reason my first rep was always a bit shakey, like I have the memory of a gold fish between each set.

One thing bad about my old home set up, is it made me even a little less ?fierce? with the lifts since I wasn't able to drop any type of weight. Anyway gotta get in my head its ok to drop weights now.

Went on the bike for what I thought was tabata but just kinda turned into intervals, the endorphin rush got me on the luas and then to the pool. Once I was in the cold water I slowed right down, think I was swimming with my eyes closed at some stage. Tried out some new fins that I don't like.

So tired now, have client dinner this evening, want bed.

Can't wait for flippin test to be over.

:mad:Haha:(, got caught in a current again, this time going out, was my own fault really this time, not really paying attention being dazzled by the sunshine. Everyone thinks I'm prepared for this test, to be honest I don't know, have not had a complete run through of everything. We were supposed to take the boat, save me swimming out, but it needs a fixin. Still have yet to actually lead a dive in full practice, oh well test is next Sunday, come what may.

So got some more cardio today:rolleyes:. Bought new fins though and they are grand on the ol' crunchy ankle, although I think I may have traded some propulsion power. Completely disappointed in myself, but I'll get over it. We have a few lectures to fly through this week too before I get that damn 2 star.

Wouldn't be such a big deal but I really want to do a seasearch course asap and help the yummy sea life.

No test today, argh! Want the test over with, diving equipment all over the place & weather sucks. Need rope for SMB too, as well as a weight, better get that this week.

So met up with Tommy for a session today, actually once diving is over for the winter, Sunday morning is a nice time to train, and I have loads more energy after training than diving, so in essence I kind of get my Sunday afternoons back. Felt naseous the last couple of days including going in this morning but was fine when doing the lifts, its when I stopped that the sick feeling came back.

Got a lot of "good's" from Tommy so must've been doing things right. Just snatch work, presses & FS's, then went for a quick run much to Tommy's dismay but I'm the one who has rescue towing to do on the test next Sunday & mt endurance could sure use some help. Didn't run too much as that definitely brought the quesiness back.

Best of all after the session, got a brand new pair of sexy red Dowin weightlifting shoes for 35 EU. Didn't train in them but tried a squat and BOY do they feel nice and stable. I'd say they'll help with the right knee & wandering leg problem very well. Oh yeah & gotta get new wrist wraps, left wrist all cranky on the jump snatches.

Nice session with new swanky shoes. No more having to do the 'foot wiggles' when getting into the position, yay!

A few familiar faces were on the platforms, although I was a bit late for the party, Tommy was nice enough & stayed till the end. Usual snatch work, presses & FS. Although had to hurry the FS.

Afterwards, tried to do some intervals on the bike but, er , I broke :rolleyes: the pedal after 5 minutes. Think it'll survive after some TLC with an allen key.

I was actually supposed to go to our diving club's annual meeting this evening, but it just seemed too far. First time I put a session before the diving, hopefully no one from the club bothers to read my posts.

Anyway got some nice endorphins for on the way home.:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Ok now I feel guilty for missing the meeting last night :(. Seems we've been officially adopted by our diving club. Ah well I'll be seeing them tonight at the pool after lifting. Lugging both sets of gym & pool stuff is starting to wear thin on my shoulders though.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifAfter the dive today, came home and thought to myself that I would just try to see if I could get my head pass the bar, and I did. Kinda surprised myself there, a minute later tried to do another one but couldn't budge any further than my head being 1.5 inches away from the bar (basically where I was on Friday).

Anyway I'll try again tomorrow to make sure it wasn't an anomaly. My shoulder is a bit sore from sleeping on it though, don't know how to stop that.

I know it is just one little chin and I've done it before but felt good. Had a crappy weekend, got a crappy email from a client who had to cc: everybody and somewhat of a crappy dive (viz was terrible & I kinda misunderstood a couple of things on the safety stop), so this was nice to accomplish.

Hmm just going back in time! Might try for some chins again, especially since I'm back to the size I was before I started this oly stuff. The fat to muscle ratio has to have improved, right?

Trousers feeling looser too, which was a surprise last week was bad for everything, didn't prepare my usual veggies n stuff, don't know what I ate, and might've been guilty of abusing food again. Although nothing too serious. Feel more in control this week, although if someone could just walk on my back.

• Advertisement

Toiling like a vagabond carrying around sheet around town in various bags. F my shoulders are killing me.

Ya lifting stuff. As well. Snatch work, and felt a bit rebellious and went off Tommy's laid out plan for me. Substituted some hinge snatches instead of jump snatches, my wrist got all hurty from the jumps, and the from the hinge at least I'm working more of my hip pull. AND did 3 sets off de floor (also not on my plan this week), ya I'm a maverick:cool:, don't mess with me.

Didn't bump any knees, did alright I think. Bar felt heavier than yesterday though. Then only had time for 3 sets of presses but squeezed in all for FS.

Went to pool tired. Did some snorkel work, new fins without boots, not so smart. If weather doesn't go in our favour for the big wide sea, then we can do the test in cold Portroe instead.

Not looking forward to training this evening, I'll be training token style:eek:.
    I can't handle boozy nights. Not too sure if its good or bad that Ms Supp won't be there to give out to me.

Oh yeah yesterday, just took some walks, did some prehab for knee. Then went to family, hence the drinks.

Not looking forward to training this evening, I'll be training token style:eek:.

Damn another tokenism. Caffeine is your friend in these situations.

Not too sure if its good or bad that Ms Supp won't be there to give out to me.

I give out? :eek:

I give out? :eek:

Aw:), well no you have not to me anyway, and I'm sure when you do its kinda cute. Then again I'm not some party animal either like some people (well anymore, but the less said about that), lifting my body weight over my head.

OOOFFFF! Er yeah don't think I want to do that again with a hangover. I changed into my workout clothes in work so I wouldn't be tempted to just crawl in a hole.

Snatch work was slow & lazy, was not one solid fluid movement. Got the shakes. I did manage one hang snatch that felt pretty good, and no triples for me, just doubles with looooong rest periods.

Presses felt easy though, & front squats, my knee started at me again, nothing major though, will just foam the quad over the weekend. Although one of guys did comment he heard it cracking. Actually just plain lifting was ok with a hangover, snatching another story. Wasn't the worse session I've ever had though.

Looks like the diving test will be on Sunday, I get way too nervous about silly things, its a wonder I do anything. The joy of diving hasn't been with me these last few ones, need a break.

Looks like you've discovered the joy that is snatching the day after drinking. I don't know how some people do it at all. I'd imagine olympic lifters make terrible drunks. Well, MOST of us... Token? :P

Looks like you've discovered the joy that is snatching the day after drinking. I don't know how some people do it at all. I'd imagine olympic lifters make terrible drunks. Well, MOST of us... Token? :P

Yes it was such a joy:roll eyes:, so glad the gym is on the way home, think I even found a way to get there 5 minutes faster. AND I finally managed an oly 4 session training week. And Hercs is starting to feel mighty cozy.

It's an art form in itself. Wayne put my max week after halloween weekend. I think he did it on purpose.

token wrote: »
    Wayne put my max week after halloween weekend. I think he did it on purpose.
    Because he knew that you'd have increased your calorie intake from booze alone *Must stop negging... can't stop negging...*

• Advertisement

Because he knew that you'd have increased your calorie intake from booze alone *Must stop negging... can't stop negging...*

haha let's call a truce at least on logs that aren't either of our own

Advertisement