Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sqit squats, pork ropes & swimming with the fish.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

You two are funny! Don't worry Supp, I moan way more than you negg.

Anyway get ready for more whinging from me....
    Flipping test cancelled, boat is out of the water, so if we are to do the tests this side of Xmas, it will have to be in freezing boring Portroe, never mind the sea being cold in Ireland, fresh water is always colder.

Then again its an easy place for leading a dive, viz is usually good as long as no one's fins muddy the sediment up and there's really no where to go:rolleyes:. On the other hand would also be a nice last dive of the year as the fresh water will rinse everything good.

So looks like I'll be seeing Tommy tomorrow morning.

Today would've been a perfect day for that darn test:mad:. Oh well.

Session went well, hang snatch was solid except when I accidently did a power one,
    starting on new positions & we added a teeny bit more weight. I don't really like the hang snatch below the knee, makes my shoulders & traps cranky. Prefer just off the floor, but oh well.

Hopefully next week I can go back to off the floor if Tommy lets me. More presses & FS, teeny bit more weight. And some bulgarians & abz, but I cheated on the bulgarians using my new chews.

Ah starting jerk work again soon(ish). Maybe I'll learn to appreciate it:confused:. Just have a bad attitude about since it got my infraspinatus in a tizzy months ago.

This morning workout stuff is for the birds!

But it was crowded on the platforms, I had to make way for the real weightlifters, or should I say the real athletes:rolleyes:. No... but it was nice to have the atmosphere with familiar faces.

Er, powersnatched 2 reps, body just didn't want to get under. Didn't actually wake up until the 4th set, was able to put in some fierceness then. My traps are killing me!

Tommy had to do a bit more "pep talking" for this session. I forgot how much coaches like to order one around.

Presses were ok, FS felt pretty easy, just gotta watch knee. Hip flexors were fine. Did bulgarians & ab work.

Apparently this is why I need some very good wrist wraps, can anyone say hypermobility? & yes its bending the wrong way!

Ordered some wrist wraps, don't know where the flip they are, also ordered a waterproof mp3 player:D

Yay, did my first set of hang snatches, then Tommy asked me to do it from the floor. He was happy enough, so no more boxes, unless I'm bad. No more hanging below the knee, weight feels lighter already.

622fc4e3-29b7-492d-90bb-598096d20305.jpg

A few minor corrections. I have to "address" the bar properly with it being in line with my mid foot. And started to say things like
    "how are you bar today, let's play"
    Ms Supp even commented that I got some good height on the bar.

Then we did some jerk work **shrug shoulders** , I don't know I guess once I can add some decent weight it might be more exciting.

We added more weight on the front squat too, although knee was at me. Did some bulgarians & ab.

Then felt good enough to do some intervals on the treadmill & a tiny bit of rowing, need to add some pull movements for my shoulder again.

I'm going to add a tiny bit of weight on Thursay, I'll be training by myself. Got home did some foaming & balling.im_a_big_girl_stickers-217200732818222342

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭supposedly

Behave yourself now or else you go straight back on the boxes! :P

Ah think they need to put me back on the "boxes" for swimming. My endurance has taken a nose dive, was waaaaaaay better in February.

Don't know how I'm going to handle all the rescue towing n stuff. Diving test is going to be south side of Dalkey Island, which is actually not too bad as you start deep then head in to get shallower. More life on Muglins but its a test & not for leisure.

Did a short yoga sequence, been ages since I've done any. Felt a bit stiff, but it was heaven, got in the zone even if it wasn't a long one. Then went to pool & embarrassed myself with my so called swimming.

Off de floor tomorrow!!!!!!, I hope traffic isn't as bad as it was today, if not it'll be a short one in Hercs, stupid neighbour & 7pm!!

Ah yes, all was right with the world after that workout.

5x3 Hang snatches, 5x3 off de floor snatches 25kg (felt so easy, even on the wrists), 5x3 presses accidentally upped the weight to 27kg & 5x4 front squats. Wanted to wait for Tommy to give me more instructions on jerks. If I had more gas in the tank would've actually done more snatching, but tomorrow will be another day.

Things felt pretty darn smooth too (everyone likes a nice smooth snatch), except for a couple of reps, landed on my toes. Never done that before, so I'm not sure what I did wrong. Wish someone would've been there. But I'm putting the aggression in, on the sweet spot at the hip crease. Traps are killing me though. Got a tiny blood blister on the hand, but thankfully it went away.

Did intervals on treadmill, abs, some knee rehab. Forgot about bulgarians. Left with endorphins running around my body.

Got a nice surprise, Tommy came in while I was warming up.

Er, seems my grip has been a bit off though, not a 'true' hook grip.

Snatching...
    From now on just off the floor 3 reps x 6 sets. 25kg for now while I work on my speed. Only one rep was a bit off, was over analysing. Need to concentrate & focus but not over think it, but think of doing it fast. Next week, is speeding everything up on the snatch.

Jerk....
    Ok I get what I need to do now. Monkey work for working on balance. Just dipping & jump/dip.

Squatting....
    Thinking of moving up to 40kg front squat, can't tell if my knee is just tired or what, might need to visit PT again.

Intervals, ab and knee-hap work. Nice 5 day training week.

I'd like to thank Ms Supp for putting up with my moaning for about er... over a month now. Stupid test was supposed to be first Sunday of October.

Went a bit better than I thought. Weather was nice (not that I noticed was too nervous), but viz was crap, we got to about 17 metres and it felt like night time.

Towing was grand, no stupid currents. Leading the dive was fine for me. Theory questions were ok, could talk about the 4 physic laws no problem, a few physiology questions were grand but could only remembered one type of burst lung.

Knackered and enjoying some vodka now, but of course meeting Tommy tomorrow for a session so will take it easy on the old achy.

Seasearch course next year.

• Advertisement

I must be on fire this week, even though emotionally/mentally I certainly don't feel like it.

Wasn't feeling the aggression on the first two sets, the rest were better. Tommy decided to add some weight 30kg & 35kg went up really easy, didn't even have to think about it.

Nearly got a 40kg snatch, it went up easy enough (Just as Ms Supp predicted a few weeks ago.) but couldn't get up out of the hole, think the bar wasn't quite balanced over me.

Worked on jerking, which I managed to hit my chin/lip, gotta get the head out the way. Wouldn't be so bad except that I hit my head yesterday before my test, gotta protect the brain.

We went up to 40kg on the front squats, felt easy enough but might stay on it for the week, the last set I tried without my knee wrap, felt fine. Won't take it off for all things but will ween myself off. Tommy wants to check my max next week.

Yeah the hook grip is a bit painful on the thumb web, but easier on the blisters.

Where'd me endorphins go, all I felt was tired afterwards???? I thought I felt fine going in, but oof everything was hard. And I miss my training partner :(

Snatching....
    Thought Tommy would put up my snatch weight but he said not yet. In the end it was better anyway, 25kg felt heavy. If I didn't have 2 eye witnesses I wouldn't believe that it was 40kg I got over my head yesterday (even though I didn't come up from the hole).
    Er let's see, Tommy said my left grip was off, didn't look it to me so I have no idea what he meant. Then again I can't see myself. But either way I only felt like I had a hand full of reps that felt good. Lazy hips or something, needed more precision and aggression.

Jerking....
    Jerks were just ok, but I did get a couple of reps where I could feel the balance on the left leg with a deep enough dip, in between my shoulders and with a good lock out.

Front Squats....
    Did I really say the 40kg felt easy enough, well they were doable but felt harder. On a good note Tommy said I'm looking pretty balanced on both sides, so that corkscrewing is gone, right hip/glute must be much better. Also didn't use knee wraps on squats, think I might just need some knee warmers.

Ah need a rest day tomorrow, even skipping pool. One of the guards in our diving club is having a retirement party tomorrow night.

Yeah, most of the time I'll feel tired after I max. That's normal and it's not the end of the world. Also, you've been practicing the jerk for ten minutes. You're not supposed to be good at it yet.

Well my new theories for that (almost) 40,

1. consistent training (& frequent)

And/or

2. Token is right on the money and those extra energy calories I had from the vodka on Sunday night helped

Wed did a short power yoga sequence, felt really really good.

Not much to report on snatching yesterday.

Jerk work, we went up 5kg, didn't feel like much at the time but explains why I can barely lift my arms. Traps killing me, have headache

Front squat, knee was a bit iffy so put wrap on for 2 sets. They are not making me sore, so at least my legs are functioning today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

howtomake wrote: »
    Wed did a short power yoga sequence, felt really really good.

Was that prescribed by Supposedly or Tommy? Sounds a bit new age for ol' Tommy.

token wrote: »
    Was that prescribed by Supposedly or Tommy? Sounds a bit new age for ol' Tommy.

Nope its for my sanity!!!!! Well what I have anyway. Getting in touch with the mind/body connection & all that jazz.

Tommy was happy that at least I am able to stop cardio after lifting though, since that dreaded test is over.

Tommy was happy that at least I am able to stop cardio after lifting though, since that dreaded test is over.

"Cardio makes the weightlifter slow"

supposedly wrote: »
    "Cardio makes the weightlifter slow"

Ok so another reason not to cycle through mad-a$$-to-bus city centre. Not only that I would miss the adventures on the redline lewie.

What's Hercs coming to! The platforms were teaming with fair maidens.

Snatching was going pretty well, then Ms Supp left, Tommy decided to add 30kg and it went down from there. Was over extending on the 30kg, never really been a problem before, I would usually not extend fully enough on some reps. Still don't know what I'm doing with my left grip, not sure if its moving during the lift or what.

Jerk work was good enough

Front squats the same.

Abs, zzzzzzzz, but done.

• Advertisement

Ah I'm your lucky charm!
    Don't worry about your left grip, it's just getting used to the new hook grip. That'll sort itself out in about ten minutes. 30kg might have been too big a jump but you make them look very easy! You'll be smoking 30kg for triples before you know it. :)

Ah I'm your lucky charm!

:D:D
    Wonder if I can sneak out of work earlier on Tues??

Ah I'm your lucky charm!

:D:D
    Wonder if I can sneak out of work earlier on Tues??
    Do it! Tell your boss you're practicing for the Olympics!

Do it! Tell your boss you're practicing for the Olympics!

Ha, he might believe special olympics. Have client entertaining thingy all Monday & night. Should be doable to get out earlier on Tues.

But F-IT:mad:, woke up at 3am with the worse pain around my diaphragm, ribs and upper back. Ugh had this before years upon years ago. Not sure what to do about tomorrow. Might just go down to meet Tommy and see what he says, hopefully will feel better & just keep things light. Need to do more foaming, balling, stretching etc.

Was able to train today, thankfully. Was quiet, could here my bones creaking & cracking. Although Tommy was a bit peeved because I was late. Had wait for the painkillers to kick, had to lots of foaming & balling, hot showers & ice, just to get the damn shoulder/back workable.

Snatches felt fine, actually they were pretty consistently smooth, just a few minor niggles, but then again 25kg is starting to feel very light.

Took the weight down a bit on the jerk work, didn't want to upset the thing. Pigtails, not really suitable for jerking.

Front squat, now that's where I had a big problem with the shoulder. It was very very uncomfortable holding the bar up on it. So I actually flew through the all sets, so fast that even though I SAID that the bar was killing my shoulder, Tommy decided to test my front squat :roll eyes: , wtf. Anyway 50kg was grand, 55kg, er fine if I went parallel but a full deep front squat was no go. F-er was killing my shoulder anyway.

Couldn't do any abs, diaphragm kept seizing up.

Ah and no endorphins again, I actually felt more mad or something leaving the gym.

Why aren't the stupid :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::roll eyes: working!

Bah, went to PT, spine is in a bit of a twist. Got some needling done on it too. Lower left tightening while upper right tightening, just a little tweak from scoliosis, nothing major and nothing that hasn't happened before. Just gotta keep doing lots & lots of soft tissue work on it, which will be my main 'accessory work' after lifting this week. Stupid desk job too!

Good thing Tommy was there, needed a minor correction was a bit out of it and uncoordinated. Wasn't bothering to set up myself up correctly when snatching. Anyway the last 2 sets felt much better after that.

Jerking was a bit jerky, we worked on doing the full jerk, it was like learning to salsa or something. Again last set was better, just need to think 'lock shoulders out' and the rest kinda fall in the place.

Skipped front squatting & other stuff, shortest workout ever. Felt better after it, well for 10 minutes then went back to feeling blah.

Jerks are not supposed to be good when you've only been doing them 10 minutes. You are progressing on them faster than I did (by about a year!) I'm not even going to bother to hide my jealousy.

Cheers for the superpowers :)

000t8qkh
    Jerks are not supposed to be good when you've only been doing them 10 minutes. You are progressing on them faster than I did (by about a year!) I'm not even going to bother to hide my jealousy.

Cheers for the superpowers :)

Well its more like 25 minutes now, we'll see how far my shoulder lets me progress. I guess I'm starting to appreciate that's its actually more than just putting a bar over your head, its still not snatching though.

Oof feel like doody today, glad I skipped those squats.

• Advertisement

Nice little session.
    Snatching good.
    That tip Tommy gave me for setting up is working a treat. Worked up to 28kg for triples (sticking with these till next week), did 1 set of trips for 30kg, the bar was flying up today.

Full Jerks ok.

Hang Cleans ok, brought it up to 30kg.

Front squats, 40kg is feeling light but my hip flexors (stupid desk job) were killing me. And I'm not really feeling it in the glutes.

Got a tiny bit of endorphins. Just did some incline walking to stretch the legs out.

Played with my balls in the changing room. (tennis balls, that is, for soft tissue work).

Advertisement