Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sqit squats, pork ropes & swimming with the fish.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

Wed:::: forgot to mention did s'more yoga, but might find another new sequence. Not feeling the 'totally zen' feeling.

Today:::::

Er snatching ok, took me 2 sets to fully get into it. Knee was a bit at me too, feeling a little pissy.

Jerking was going well, maybe too well, cuz Tommy decided to have me do clean with bigger weight with the same for jerking. Knew he was crazy!

Did cleaning off the floor, elbows don't know what to do though. We went up to 45kg on cleaning, then Tommy had a wonderful idea of trying to get me to jerk 45kg, yeah not gonna happen:rolleyes:. Either not strong enough or weight too big for my confidence. Having some issues moving the bar away from my head too forward, been hitting my head too much and not just with lifting. 40kg got up on the jerking, but it didn't "feel" too pretty.

Haha, he was going to test my back squat, have not done back squatting since I know when. Was too tired from trying to jerk 45kg, my upper body not up to par with lower body.

Front squatting, again felt very light except hip flexors. Don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what:confused::confused::confused: But if I can get them sorted out, definitely can up the weight.

Bulgarian squats, abs & then Ms Supp's torture flexor stretch.

Got a bit more endorphins, but nothing to really get me high.

towelie.png

Was an alright session, kinda lonely though. Thought I'd enjoy it a bit more because there are times I do like working out by myself. I have no complaints, the bar was going up, although one person mentioned that I need to keep my hips down a bit longer on the snatch.

Did jerking from the rack instead. Not sure if I was doing that 'thing' again with moving the bar too forward instead of just up?

Cleans were ok, just did it from the hang this time.

Front squats, hip flexors still at me. Took a nice leisurely walk yesterday, but even that made hips cranky.

Abz, then got home & did a quick yoga thing.

No training yesterday.

Minor issue, I burned my hand, right on the sensitive spot on the web of my thumb, where the bar already irritates it. But main issue, stupid knee is at me, hurts when I go beyond parallel, feels like some small child kicked me. Just iced the knee & then put some heat on it (Tommy's orders).

I tried to massage around the area and stuff. Anyway we'll see what I can do tonight. At least I know I can jerk without any pain.

Wouldn't quite call that a workout, didn't even break a sweat. Started on jerking, we went up another 5kg, felt pretty good, getting there.

I was introduced to power snatches, kinda feels like cheating though.

Did quarter front squats touching a chair, still hurt like a b*tch.

Stupid knee!

Well knee no worse for the wear. For someone who didn't break a sweat last night, I feel like someone ran over me.

Oh yeah & note to self...keep elbows up when starting to jerk, think of heals, etc.

• Advertisement

On my own (for some reason), but didn't mind so much this time. The platforms were crazy busy though.

I'm starting to get a feel for what a good jerk feels like, think Tommy would've been happy with most of them. 30kg feeling lighter on those too, or I'm just getting more confident putting a weight over my head like that. Just have to think elbows up, feel the weight on heels and left leg then make sure to lockout shoulders when going up, simple:D when you write it out, just have to remember each time for consistency.

Powersnatching again, knee still blah when trying to bend so no regular snatches. Don't know how many sets of triples, coulda been 6 or 8, just kept doing them until I was tired. Read a few sites on powersnatching. For some reason I thought you were supposed to use a heavier weight than what you normally snatched, but guess not:confused: All about speed it seems.

Abz

No real squats, might see if back squatting will be easier (not going beyond parallel though, but will see how knee feels tomorrow).

And someone suggested some light cycling on the bike might get blood flowing to knee so I did that for 10 minutes zzzzz. Hate sitting on my a$$ as exercise though, do all day at a desk. Not even sure if it helped the knee or made it worse.

Hmm knee felt better coming in than going out, at least walking to Hercs it felt fine, but walking back home, meh! We'll see how it feels tomorrow. Keep forgetting to do some extra wrist exercises.

t'was a bit too crowded on the dance floor, and as nice as it was to see so many familiar faces...think just 1 more platform in the place would be good.

Jerks at were ok, 30kg feels light going up, but hanging around on my shoulders & trying to rack them back up, feels heavy.

Powersnatching, went up to 29kg (someone tried to get them heavier:rolleyes:), was flying up on the last few sets. Just takes at least 2 sets to really get into them though.

Presses, we tried 35kg (cuz I can't count), nope, went to 30kg last rep was hard, so we took it down to 25kg. Although I'd say 27kg would've been grand.

Back squats, yeah didn't feel any better even just going to a chair & only using 40kg.

Abs.

Jerks, ok, again takes about 2 sets to get with it. I was a bit energetic, too much so as I couldn't focus for awhile which is not really productive.

We did powercleans at 35kg, although I wanted to do powersnatches too, but Tommy said tomorrow.

Presses, 27kg, 5 sets instead of 4 except that last rep, couldn't get it up.

Abs

Stretching.

Didn't get sweaty enough. But I have a feeling I won't be able to move my arms tomorrow.

Think Tommy wants my arms to fall off since I can't squat.

Jerking went well, got a nice little tip and narrowed my stance slightly, made a world of a difference. We're going to widen my grip next time too. Did the usual 6 sets of triples with 30kg, he decided to give me a little test. 35 was easy, 40 went up easy too, a big improvement from last week when I tried 40. This time I got 45kg up, but right arm kinda buckled a little, hence we might try widen my grip next time. Anyway after that I was frucked! So now I'm to do triples at 36kg.

Powersnatches were slow after that messing, didn't want to hold the bar anymore. We went up to 30 on those. I just couldn't focus on most of them. Tommy had to yell at me a couple of times. I could've done with more of a rest but time was ticking.

Presses, ooof! I couldn't will my arms up the first try, had to give them a stern talking too (plus some bribing) to get them up. Grinded them up, 3rd set after a decent rest were banging up, but the last 2 sets were hard.

Went to phys therapist today, he worked me over good. Outer quads are pulling one way at my knee cap, and a bit of bone grinding. Gonna try some light squats on Thur. Just need lots and lots of gentle stretching. Actually the right one is a bit more frucked than the left one, he thinks maybe the left one is trying to compensate for right (just like Emma found with my glutes, but that's much better).

Changed into gym clothes at work, then put on my normal clothes over them, FREEZING!:(

Ok this is just ridiculous. My arms are killing me, mainly my right.

Jerks were ok going up, it was bam bam on them, but I'm having a hard time lowering the weight properly (these are rack jerks). Tommy was trying to show me, but hurts like a mo-fo.

Powercleans, don't even know what was going on, my arms were not communicating with me. Right one is having a fit.

Presses, thankfully we took these down to 3 reps instead of 5. Once I regain control of my arms I'd say I could put on another 3kg for 3 reps.

Guess I'll go to the pool and loosen them up tomorrow. Might have to splurge on a massage or maybe get some small child to walk on me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Your log is literally the only thing worth reading on boards anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

I'm not sure which of you is more broken

Your log is literally the only thing worth reading on boards anymore.

You can understand the incoherent babble of my typing diarrhea? Interesting...

token wrote: »
    I'm not sure which of you is more broken

You mean mentally, physically or our spirit?

Well all things being equal, I am 10 plus years older than Mr.L (we'll leave the plus as an unknown variable;)), I guess it depends. Although I do have to say the body doesn't bounce back like it did during my 20-somethings. Let that be a warning for you youngins. Not that I'm old, old is when you can't wipe yourself or go grocery shopping.

I suggest Mr. L you get a good girlfriend (or girlfriends) who are physios & the like for the rest of your life. It'll save you some cash in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

howtomake wrote: »
    Let that be a warning for you youngins. Not that I'm old, old is when you can't wipe yourself or go grocery shopping.

I'm in my 20's and I do neither of those things.

Dathai wrote: »
    I'm in my 20's and I do neither of those things.

Are these extra services you are getting your new chiro to then? I could say more, but then we'd be getting a bit personal. :p

Anyway back to work... I'm suffering ADD at work ever since I started posting on boards.

Wed went to the pool, swam like a lame seal, my knee at me and my shoulder. Pretty pathetic when you can't even half-a$$ swim. But was great to see my diving club again. They are the best club ever! We got four new people too, so really probably means that one will be diving pretty regularly. If it wasn't for this freezing weather I'd be going cookoo for not going out. I need the outdoors!

Yesterday had to work late, shoulder was killing me anyway.

Tonight was the ANTI-endorphin session! Blah! We kept it light though and I went through it.

Snatching --was meh, too hesitant on squatting, slow going down. Knees are better but still sore when bending. None of the reps felt right.

C & J-- (1 clean & 3 jerks per set) Tommy said my cleans were good, but again I can't feel what I want with the clean. The only good part of this session was my transition from clean to jerk was very very smooth, almost suave:cool:. Much much better than the first time I tried the complete package. Sigh.... lowering the bar so my shoulder just moan at me is still a work in progress.

Back squat --ouch ouch is all I can say, even the bar resting on my shoulder hurt, and it was pretty damn light.

Presses--kept those light too, glad to only have to be told to do 3 reps per set.

Anyway that session made me want a to drown myself in vodka or some nice red wine, but I can't tonight:(

Was out visiting fam peeps. Did go to another gym. Tried to do some bike tabata's but knee was having none of it.
    Did Arnie presses & DB rows.

Then I found an old rusty 7kg men's bar (no weights for it) and just did some snatch breakdowns on that. Knee was better behaved. Tried to practice lowering the bar too from a jerk position, eh still don't know what I'm doing.

Went into pool, sauna, jacuzzi too.

Excuse the crudeness but if I had any balls they'd be frozen off by now. Stupid cold and Christmas shoppers.

Anywayz...pretty good session. We were working off percentages, sort of. Can't remember it all but Tommy's going to give me a sheet instead of the printed blank spreadsheets I was using.

Snatching was ok, getting back into it. Can't believe its been 2 weeks since my last full snatch. Tommy says they are too like my personality, easy going. Not sure if that was a compliment or what. So we worked up to singles based on the 35kg I was able to get up a few weeks ago. We might keep it at 31kg for now though, knee was err so so.

C & J, cleans were ok, again working off percentages. Neither Tommy nor I can count. He convinced me that 43kg was 38kg, we are going to leave it 40kg. Anyway jerks were not bam bam after I get tired. Not focusing, gotta be able to focus even though I'm tired.

Think I'm going to have to stick to back squatting until my knees straighten up, fronts squats just kinda bug them. We worked up to a single 65kg, it was so so, I really need to make sure I engage my lazy right glute, was leaning a bit. But 65kg is at least working up to where I was a couple of years ago.

Sh*t day and sh*t session. Was late and everything was rush rush through, didn't even comprehend that I was in Hercs, barely got to even speak to Ms Supp & D'Ed without Tommy giving me the eye. Then the headache threatening me all day from clients picking on me, stupid peacock posturing alpha male wanna be co-worker and no lunch break, moan moan blah blah, anyway headache hit me like a mofo.

I was able to channel the frustration in some snatches, but really everything was crap. C & jerk, don't know what was going on with my jerk but it felt like I was moving through treacle. Tommy, being the coach and all, was trying to give me instructions (maybe too many) but it all sounded like German. Tommy tried to help me with doing low bar squats instead of high bar, couldn't position it properly with my shoulder. Anyway last one was a bit iffy.

Anyway I'm all nurofen plus'd out of it. Tommy gave me a programme, will post that once & later. Ah Thursday will hopefully be better, not working

• Advertisement

There's a lot of emo in the air tonight.
    howtomake wrote: »
    Tommy tried to help me with doing low bar squats instead of high bar

Why are you doing this?

There's a lot of emo in the air tonight.

It's universal, who doesn't feel a little emo when their snatch doesn't feel right.
    Why are you doing this?

I don't know:confused:, certainly wasn't my idea.

Ah that was better. Went in feeling still kinda poopy, but Tommy was late & only 2 other peeps were there for the first 20 minutes, so I at least had some free headspace to get into things.

Snatching was going better then Tommy ********(you sick sick sick people, and ew!), so of course was a little distracted, but the last sets were fine. I did more sets than I needed cuz I'm illiterate. My knees are still a bit cranky so I still feel like I'm slowing down when getting into the squat.

Tommy seemed to like my cleaning a lot. Tommy and I still can't count, had to reload the bar a couple of times.
    Jerking was so so, better than the other day. I'm using too much control and not enough explosion.

Back squatting was better, fudge that low bar, my shoulder no likey. Must remember just like diving, where the head points to the rest of the body will follow. (gonna keep the back squats for awhile, besides would like to see the number go back up again)

Ok so here's the programme, its not Tommy's official program, cuz I'm still a weakling but its ok for me now.

Snatch
    24kg @ 70% 3 reps 3 sets
    26kg @ 75% 3 reps
    28kg @ 80% 2 reps
    30kg @ 85% 1 rep
    32kg @ 90% 1 rep
    28kg @ 80% 2 reps x 3 sets

C & J (1 clean then the rest are jerks)
    32kg @ 70% 3 reps 3 sets
    34kg @ 75% 3 reps
    36kg @ 80% 2 reps
    38kg @ 85% 1 rep
    40kg @ 90% 1 rep
    36kg @ 80% 2 reps x 3 sets

Back Squat
    45kg @ 70% 3 reps 3 sets
    48kg @ 75% 3 reps
    51kg @ 80% 2 reps
    54kg @ 85% 1 rep
    58kg @ 90% 1 rep
    51kg @ 80% 2 reps x 3 sets

I just burst out laughing in work.

Please god tell me somebody else saw that? I can't quote it, it'd be morally wrong.

I just burst out laughing in work.

Please god tell me somebody else saw that? I can't quote it, it'd be morally wrong.

I owe you one now...
    F OFF and do some work

I should have quoted it

Ah no your first instinct was right. Unfortunately I'm not rich but I do still owe you one. I'm all up for dirty jokes, intentional or not, but there is just some imagery that is best left unknown

o_0

So nice not to have to rush through a session.

Snatching was spot on tonight, focused on the 2 key points when doing them. One felt really really good.

C & J, well... cleans were good, except don't know what happened on one, I fell over, luckily it was just on one of the 36's. Jerking was mostly good, did a press up on one of them.

Squats felt really really easy peasy. Even felt the glute burn.

That's it for this week(end)! Next couple of weeks should be interesting with xmas lunches with clients, xmas parties & everyone & their brother coming to Ireland. Not sure how timing for training will go.

• Advertisement

Snatching was going very very well, we decided to try out 38kg, bah, would've gotten it had I not gone to wide on the squat (which I found isn't good for the knee either, ouch) couldn't get up. Maybe I should've tested to see how long I can keep a bar up in an overhead squat:rolleyes:

I then promptly ran out of gas because I stupidly didn't eat anything except for 2 eggs all day. Stupid stupid stupid!

C&J went ok, not a lot of energy though.. was dizzy by the time I got to squats.

Gonna make sure to eat for tomorrow's session.

Advertisement