Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedgehog in hibernation, what to do?

Options
  • 14-02-2011 6:50pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

The bro discovered a hedgehog about two weeks ago in a ball under some hay bales. We had to move him because the bales were being used. He was in hibernation and we didn't wake him, popped him into a small low box and put it in a corner of an unused barn and put straw on top of him. He dosen't seem to have moved since and I checked him few days back to make sure he still alive and he's fine.

Question is what do I do? Should I just leave him to his own devices and let him move on when he's ready or what?

He'll be wondering "where the hell am I", when he wakes up :D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

He'll be fine and will pootle off when he's good and ready :)

Should he die in his sleep? (As can happen) Wouldn't be your doing. Just mean he hadn't got enough weight on before going down for a kip.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Just to update the hedgehog situation, he's still in position and hasen't stirred. He's alive, I check him every so often and he spits/hisses like a cat when I stir him gently..

I'd love to see him off, but I'm sure he'll just disappear some day/night....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Could you maybe take a few photos? I'm really curious. Also, are hedgehogs not at risk from cats while hibernating? Where do they typically hibernate in the absense of a barn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Tremelo wrote: »
    Could you maybe take a few photos? I'm really curious. Also, are hedgehogs not at risk from cats while hibernating? Where do they typically hibernate in the absense of a barn?

They are safe enough from Cats when hibernating. This link should answer any other questions:

http://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/FAQS/hibernation.htm

Advertisement