Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Programmers like sport?

• 14-02-2011 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

;)

Hi all, we are looking for a programmer and have been finding it hard to find one that also likes sports.... is that coincidence?

Anyway, does anyone on here know a sports fan programmers with;

PHP5 / MySQL
    XHTML / CSS
    AJAX
    Javascript / JQuery

Back to locating the needle.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Some do, some don't. I don't think I've had enough programmers attempt to discuss sport with me to get an accurate number (I have no real interest). It's never a topic of conversation in work or at any coder event I've been to though.

However, the interesection of "good programmers", "in Ireland" and "looking for work" is already pretty small, so trying to cross that with an unrelated interest will probaby make it trickier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

i like sports...i wouldn't call myself a die hard fan but i follow soccor, nfl, international rugby...

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭The Munky

Probably.... but here's hoping.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Three guesses :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

The Munky wrote: »
    ;)

Hi all, we are looking for a programmer and have been finding it hard to find one that also likes sports.... is that coincidence?

PHP5 / MySQL
    XHTML / CSS
    AJAX
    Javascript / JQuery

I regularly travel to Liverpool matches with a few lads some of whom are programmers and I'm a programmer so based on a sample size of 6 people with 5 programmers in there I'd say loads do :).

Where are you based OP?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

;)

PHP5 / MySQL
    XHTML / CSS
    AJAX
    Javascript / JQuery

Can't comment on the plural, but it's a "Yes" from me (as long as it's a real sport and not something like American Football or cricket).

Hey malice,

Cheers for the post, I was starting to picture all programmers in a different light.
    We are 30 minutes north of Dublin airport. If you decide to fly over that is.... ;)

lol @ American football or cricket!!!

They not real sports? We could do hurling? ;)

PS: We are not looking to develop console based formats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

judging by the quality of the GAA games i'd say its developers definitely were NOT GAA fans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

American football is the thinking fans sport.
    Offensive and defensive coordinators designing plays to get mismatchs.
    Trick plays, misdirection, play fakes, power running, spread offense and more

Best sport ever I haven't even commented on the skills and athleticism yet :D

• Advertisement

Are you a programmer that is feelingstressed?

Hey malice,

Cheers for the post, I was starting to picture all programmers in a different light.
    We are 30 minutes north of Dublin airport. If you decide to fly over that is.... ;)
    No worries, I'm not a fan of PHP so I wouldn't be interested with it myself.

No worries Malice, you probably would have been out of our range.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Are you a programmer that is feelingstressed?

Can't help you with that skillset in post 1, sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Couple of them do (in my experience anyway), i play rugby myself and i'm a programmer. I'd say theres plenty more than people think out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭krazyklown

I'm a sports fanatic with an interest in programming! Does that count?!!

When i was doing my degree i was gutted because i couldnt play hurling as our course was so intensive (36+ hours a week, labs etc) and the lecturers didnt tolerate absence too well, we routinely had attendance taken at lectures. It was the one thing i really looked forward to doing when i was starting university (the hurling not attendance taking).

Having said that, in a class of over sixty and mostly male we regularly played indoor/outdoor soccer (we once played a couple of fellas from the GAA team in a game and hammered them; they were real jocks and being beaten by a couple of CS 'geeks' did considerable harm to their reputation) We would book the hall or pitch and usually had no problem getting lads out from my class. Played the CS staff a couple of times too. I always noticed too that a fair number of CS students did individual sports like martial arts, gym work etc.
    Ross wrote: »
    However, the interesection of "good programmers", "in Ireland" and "looking for work" is already pretty small, so trying to cross that with an unrelated interest will probaby make it trickier.

Why do you say this? Just out of curiousity?

Anyone interested in PMing me, if thats ok mods?!?!

Is it?

Thanks for your replies.

krazyklown wrote: »
    Why do you say this? Just out of curiousity?
    Purely anecdotal, but I don't know anyone I'd recommend that doesn't have a job right now that they're happy in. Nobody I know knows anyone either. Any employer I know is constantly scouring for good people.

I'm sure I see a very thin slice of the market (for example, I don't know many MS stack programmers and I'm pretty exclusively web focused) but it's been pretty consistent the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Hi OP,

Most of my programs are sports based, to be specific (athleics) :). Hopefully I will focus more on database in due course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

You looking for someone with much experience OP?

I've got a Comp Sci degree, but only 6 months' relevant experience. Been doing alot of upskilling in my spare time recently.

PHP5 / MySQL - 2/5
    XHTML / CSS - 5/5
    AJAX - 1/5
    Javascript / JQuery - 3/5

Keen, enthusiastic, etc. ;)

And yes I like sports! Football (soccer) mainly

• Advertisement

Experience not important at all for the development of the game.

Mind if I PM you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Sure thing!

PM Gone...

Purely anecdotal, but I don't know anyone I'd recommend that doesn't have a job right now that they're happy in. Nobody I know knows anyone either. Any employer I know is constantly scouring for good people.

I'm sure I see a very thin slice of the market (for example, I don't know many MS stack programmers and I'm pretty exclusively web focused) but it's been pretty consistent the last few years.
    I agree with this. I changed jobs recently and what I noticed was that I was I didn't have to try all that hard to get interviews and I was able to choose a location that I wanted. Once I had done a couple of interviews I had a few offers to choose from. My experience was very different from a couple of years ago. Now, I'd like to think that it's down to my ability (:p) but the reality is there's probably a shortage of suitably skilled people for the available jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

;)

Hi all, we are looking for a programmer and have been finding it hard to find one that also likes sports.... is that coincidence?....

I don't know anyone looking for work. But a lot of developers I know are into sports. Most IT depts I've worked in had a regular football team, or at least a regular 5 a side football going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

One of my blogs is sportcrazy.net, so you can probably figure. Though I'm not sure I consider myself a programmer any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Do ballerinas like chicken?

Yes, I like all sports. But I am a student, so I dont know if I would classify fully as a programmer.

I don't know, do ballerina's like chicken?

If Black Swan is anything to go by they sure like birds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

That's been my experience too (I'm coming from a .NET background). Far as I gather, experienced devs (market for inexperienced graduates seems pretty poor) are in short supply at the moment. Probably a combination of batten-down-the-hatches and stick with the current job, a decent bit of emigration, some startups, and general low population from less folks studying IT a few years back. I've been getting hit up by recruiters increasingly regularly over the past few months, they seem to be under pressure to land developers. LinkedIn contacts, emails, etc - one cheeky son-of-***** even rang my current employer's main line (pulled from LinkedIn) to talk to me about jobs he was looking to fill. Also have various contacts in other companies who are trying to hire at the moment, and having trouble. Not looking to move right now myself, but get the impression I wouldn't have much trouble finding another role.

Re the OP, yeah, developers (not many folks are officially called "programmers", programming's only a subset of what we do) are into sport. Offhand I know a bunch of folks who play soccer regular, a baseball player, a couple of rugby players, a badminton player, etc. Plenty more sports fans too, on top of the ones who actually participate.

Advertisement