Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good mounts

Options
  • 14-02-2011 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

What would call good mounts, and what makes bad mounts bad,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

jmcp wrote: »
    What would call good mounts, and what makes bad mounts bad,

Good mounts are well machined (dimension's are the same so scope will be centred)

Have a good way of fixing to a base.

Burris and Nightforce make some of the best mounts in the trade.

If you are firing a high powered rifle a good mount is critical as a bad mount will loosen under recoil.

My 2 Cents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Burris and Nightforce make some of the best mounts in the trade.

Warne, Volquartsen, IOR and Badger Ordnance are also held in high regard. I dont really like Warne even though they sit on 2 of my rifles!

Glensman wrote: »
    Warne, Volquartsen, IOR and Badger Ordnance are also held in high regard. I dont really like Warne even though they sit on 2 of my rifles!

True.

I'd like a Warne Picatinny Rail from Warne.

I forgot about Badger ordnance, I have a Tactical Bolt knob from them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

True.

I forgot about Badger ordnance, I have a Tactical Bolt knob from them

My Volquartsen mounts are the best I have, I would say they are as good as anything out there. I don't like my Warne mounts because they're split vertically rather than on the horizontal- it's a bit of a nuisance when you are mounting. But they have Never lost zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on a Warne Picatinny rail again! Worst piece of crap I've ever wasted my hard-earned shooting-allocated money on. Floppy lump of shoddily engineered soft metal. Frankly, considering Warne's good reputation, I couldn't believe they'd made such a heap of junk.

And it wasn't particularly cheap neither!

• Advertisement

dCorbus wrote: »
    Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on a Warne Picatinny rail again! Worst piece of crap I've ever wasted my hard-earned shooting-allocated money on. Floppy lump of shoddily engineered soft metal. Frankly, considering Warne's good reputation, I couldn't believe they'd made such a heap of junk.

And it wasn't particularly cheap neither!

Who makes good Rails?

I see prices go from $30-300

I'd like to go middle of the road Pricewise, yet almost Top Quality

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Who makes good Rails?

I see prices go from $30-300

I'd like to go middle of the road Pricewise, yet almost Top Quality

these guys are good....I have there rail and rings on my 300 win mag...
    http://thirdeyetactical.com/thirdeye_website2_013.htm
    DSCF1137.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

i hear great things about their moderators on the uk forums aswell

Not sure how wide a range of kit he makes, but Richard Near of Near Manufacturing over in Alberta, Canadia is one hell of a manufacturer! Have one of his 20MOA pict rails on my TRG and bloody hell, 'tis a great bit of kit. So I can recommend his stuff highly: http://www.nearmfg.com/index.html

(And don't worry about him being in Canada - he is exceptionally prompt with shipping, doesn't charge too much at all for the shipping, and he's a gent to deal with - this is all in addition to him making amazing kit!)

Oh, did I say, he's very good and I'd recommend him most highly.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

dCorbus wrote: »
    Not sure how wide a range of kit he makes, but Richard Near of Near Manufacturing over in Alberta, Canadia is one hell of a manufacturer! Have one of his 20MOA pict rails on my TRG and bloody hell, 'tis a great bit of kit. So I can recommend his stuff highly: http://www.nearmfg.com/index.html

(And don't worry about him being in Canada - he is exceptionally prompt with shipping, doesn't charge too much at all for the shipping, and he's a gent to deal with - this is all in addition to him making amazing kit!)

Oh, did I say, he's very good and I'd recommend him most highly.:cool:

Are these a drill and tap affair d'C requiring riflesmith instillation? They look niiiiiiicceeee

clivej wrote: »
    Thirdeye products watch and learn

http://www.thirdeyetactical.com/

I saw that video on here some months ago.
    A CNC machine in action is a class act.

I'd like a nice rail so I could play around with the eye relief on the scope after I re-barrel the .223 to try and get the best out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Thirdeye products watch and learn

http://www.thirdeyetactical.com/

I saw that video on here some months ago.
    A CNC machine in action is a class act.

I'd like a nice rail so I could play around with the eye relief on the scope after I re-barrel the .223 to try and get the best out of it.

They also make custon rails for most rifles.
    http://www.thirdeyetactical.com/thirdeye_website2_011.htm

Vegeta wrote: »
    Are these a drill and tap affair d'C requiring riflesmith instillation?

I've only personal experience with the Sako TRG rail, but that really is a simple pop-on-and-screw-down affair - no drilling or tapping required.

I popped it onto the top of the reciever, the lugs match up and guide the rail into place, screwed it down good and tight (by hand) (with the top quality hex-head screws provided by Near) and she hasn't budged in over 9 months of some serious trigger-time! (touchwood!)

I'd say if you order one for any particular rifle, Near will have it so well made, that it would pop straight on. That said, i couldn't be 100% sure about that (except for the TRG22 accessories), but email the man directly and you'll get a prompt and informative response from the horses-mouth!

They also make custon rails for most rifles.
    http://www.thirdeyetactical.com/thirdeye_website2_011.htm

I got my Ulster bank VISA card set up at last today!!

PayPal Fleabay and US products here I come :D

If you had the pick, Third eye or Near manufacturing??

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

I also got the near rail for my trg
    Its the best quality rail I have ever seen.
    They are made of stainless steel and are availabe with a black or stainless finish.

zeissman wrote: »
    I also got the near rail for my trg
    Its the best quality rail I have ever seen.
    They are made of stainless steel and are availabe with a black or stainless finish.

Stainless it is so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I bought a pair of split rings and bases from S&K scopemounts for my Annie .22 hornet. Haven't looked back since. Tried all sorts of cheap crap before that and none of it done the job. Have a look at www.scopemounts.com, they're not cheap but they're brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

First time seeing that thirdeye stuff ... very nice ! Id normally recomment Brugger & Thomet as they ooze quality but are uber expensive .....

Thirdeye mounts and suppressors look fantastic, definatly something that for £110 for a set of 30mm picitinny mounts made on a 5 axis mill :eek: great valve !!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I got a very nice Picatinny rail from Evolution gun works, EGW, they are very reasonable price wise and I think are very well made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

I got my 30mm TPS rings from www.brownells.com.
    Very well made and look good too. were only 67 euro inc postage.

Advertisement