Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

table vice at aldi..potential rifle rest?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

flanum wrote: »
    there some cheapo vices for sale at aldi this week, they could possibly be adapted to make a rifle rest/bench rest for sighting in/maintenance..
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_15913.htm

She could indeed, with a bag underneath the front filled with Silica sand and that holding the stock you could have a serious bench rest very cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

there some cheapo vices for sale at aldi this week, they could possibly be adapted to make a rifle rest/bench rest for sighting in/maintenance..

good on ya

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭243Xpress

Nice Find...........

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

She could indeed, with a bag underneath the front filled with Silica sand and that holding the stock you could have a serious bench rest very cheap

Would that be steady enough for sighting in? I've never tried to do it like that.Sounds like a great idea,you couldn't go wrong for the money that's for sure..

Longranger wrote: »
    Would that be steady enough for sighting in? I've never tried to do it like that.Sounds like a great idea,you couldn't go wrong for the money that's for sure..

It will only be as stable as the bench is.

if you have a bench that has adjustable legs, that vise, a bipod or front rest bag
    on a steady bench why wouldn't it be steady enough??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Thanks Tack,just wondering as I've never tried it.But I will this week that's for sure..:)

Longranger wrote: »
    Thanks Tack,just wondering as I've never tried it.But I will this week that's for sure..:)

Get a few beermats or soft material so you do not damage the the stock when you clamp it.

If you can clamp your rifle to a bench and bore sight it with the bolt out @25 yards you are almost guaranteed to be on paper.

Also if you are zeroing it will give you the best possible groups as shake is "almost" Eliminated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

I was in aldi earlier and had a look at one of these, they are alot smaller than what they look in the photos!

The jaws in it are very shallow too so with a round stock it may not grip it very well..

Also if you a wide forend it would need to be opened to the max and may not be big enough for stock+padding...when opened that wide there was also a fair bit of play! :eek:

That's just my observations but have a look yourself before buying!

Lidl Photographers are wizards (actual Model may vary from picture shown )

I'd only put the rear in the clamp if it fitted and lock the bipod

I bought these off dCorbus
    cabelas-bench-rest-shooting-bags-front-rear-combo_140476419919.jpg
    The front one of these and a clamp could do the trick

Either that or a piece of timber with a notch cut out and soft material inserted (similar to what is free to use @ Midlands)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

i bought the clamp one.. not bad, big enough for my 17hmr!
    clamp003.jpg
    clamp002.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mayfly36

looks like an aniie in the jaws??????Id be putting some kind off padding on instead of gripping the timber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

yep, its an anschutz, yep i wasnt going to tighten it , soft(ish) rubber on vice.. 'twas only for a demo pic... ill pad it with some decent foam if i do go to use it.

Advertisement