Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Human rights masters ucd

Options
  • 14-02-2011 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys,

I have applied to UCD to do their human rights masters and was wondering if anybody has any information on it ( personal experience of the course, faculty ability, concurrent work experience via the university) I know the Galway one is highly recommended but that is geographically impossible for me unfortunatley. Anything anyone could tell me would be really appreciated, I only have UCD literature and the programme co ordinators information and would like an impartial and experienced opinion.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭VALIS

I've applied to do this too :D

I'd love to hear from somebody who has completed the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Is this the LLM in Human Rights law?

I don't know about the OP but I've applied for the MSc Human Rights under the politics department. They appear to share modules though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tess D

Yeah its the LLM.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 pinksalt

Hi i was thinking bout doing the Masters in UCD but i am wondering does it just leave you with little choice but to work overseas if you go down this road?

• Advertisement

Not necessarily; there's always Amnesty and I know that the Department of Foreign Affairs has a Human Rights Unit and I saw a job listing for Human Rights Monitor for the Corrib Gas Line recently (though I believe that was voluntary). Not a great deal of options I suppose; but it's possible to get something more locally if you keep your eyes peeled.

thanks for that Valis. i am now keeping eyes peeled and it seems there are options even if mostly interships at pressent - but at least it's a start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kate roche

hi all,
    i'm a post graduate student on the 2010/2011 MSc. in Human Rights and tell you a little based on my experiences this year if you're interested. I initially applied to do the MSc. in Development Studies but changed a few weeks before the start of the course as it seemed I had more choice in modules if I did human rights. Of course you only find this out when they send you the timetable in August! I'm happy I changed as I was able to do both human rights modules and development modules although the development MSc have a strong link with TCD and allowed students to do courses at TCD for a few weeks per term which all the development studies student loved.

The MSc in human rights was overall a great experience. The classes are generally participatory and the lecturers are interesting and knowledgeable. it is a good taught masters course and sometimes the lecturers email job/volunteer opportunities to current students. The best part of this MSC is that you do two modules through the law department which the LLM students do too. I wish I had known about this LLM course; even though I don;t have undergrad in Law, I think other disciplines are welcome to apply. Let's just say that by taking the LLM, especially if you have law as undergrad, you are more likely to get a job and a paid job at that. As one of the posts mentioned above, qualifications are fantastic and look impressive but a year or two spent volunteering may be just as good! If you can organise part time work placement you stand a much better chance in getting work in Ireland or elsewhere.

The most under developed part of the masters is the networking element. Most lecturers argue that it is through the connections and friendships you form in your masters that will be where you hear about jobs etc. The department sucks in general in organising get-togethers so at the start of the year try to have a social committee or something. they have a secret bar in the politics dept. that only lectuers and 'those invited by lecturers' are allowed in and would have been a great outlet to discuss work and thesis ideas with people on course, who ultimately will be most interested.

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions stick em up and I'll try to answer (though the thesis for the masters is keeping me pretty busy!). I know I had a lot of questions last year that the skimpy brochure simply doesn't answer!

Great to get a view on this from someone whose done it, thanks!

How is the workload to deal with; is it manageable or stressful? Looking through the module assessments I see lots of 4000+ word essays but fortunately not many exams. Are there any modules you would recommend in particular?

Are thesis supervisors particularly helpful and what kind of themes are people dealing with in their theses (also, when does that have to be submitted)?

Thanks, and sorry for the avalanche of questions:)

hi Kate thanks a million for going to the trouble to write that post which is so helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kate roche

hi valis,

glad to help. the workload is more or less manageable. I found term two easier because there was more continuous assessment (you might have to write short reaction papers every second week). The first law module on the European Court was my only exam (which i totally froze in - it being my first exam in about five years!). Other than that, as long as you do work throughout the term and the prospect of 4000 words doesn't freak you out, then you'll be grand. I worked one day a week also.

Politics of Human Rights with Dan Thomas is great as is Law modules. I chose to do a development module called human and economic development which was interesting and i learnt a lot but the lecturer wasn't popular as he didn't give enough feedback - or any as the case may be. It's a good idea generally to get feedback on one essay before you submit the next! I also did democratisation with jos elkink and this was pretty good - you really take lots from it if you do the work. It was statistical and quantitative (two terms that generally give me the jibes) but I thought it was interesting given it started just as the MENA region was revolting!!

What else...thesis...well as long as you show you are contributing something/anything to the debate you can study anything within reason. My thesis supervisor was assigned to me in March/April which in my opinion is very late. I did a different masters in this department in 2006/07 and it was much earlier than this. As part of research design you will have to submit a proposal on you project in January but you have loads of time to change it - i am still altering mine!!The department has many experts so if you look at their research interests you get a good idea of what they will be interested in. the thesis has to be submitted on august 19th this year and its 10000-12000 words. on that note I'd better get started!

Best of luck
    kate

Thanks again for the feedback and good luck with your thesis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tess D

Thanks Kate for that excellent information, it has put my mind at rest about my decision and thanks everybody else for all your help. :)

Advertisement