Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your tales of mock results compared To leaving results

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 livelaughlove

I found that i went up in most of my grades in the leaving cert. only got 390 points in the mocks and ended up getting 520 in the leaving cert. Just know that its not too late to start putting in the work :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I went up in my mocks, most drastically in HL Maths (C3 to an A1). In general most people improve if they don't rest on their laurels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

dambarude wrote: »
    I went up in my mocks, most drastically in HL Maths (C3 to an A1). In general most people improve if they don't rest on their laurels.
    How much study did you do for Maths? That's an amazing improvement to make in only three or so months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Pre: HD x 4, HE, ODx2 (200 points?)
    Actual: HB x 3, HC x 2, OA, OD (430 points)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

How much study did you do for Maths? That's an amazing improvement to make in only three or so months.
    Quite a bit. We had just finished the course before the Mocks, and hadn't revised any of it, so I sat the mocks without having a very good grasp of each question. All the different areas hadn't been tied together. We spent the 3 months after the mocks revising each area, and I did a lot of revision independently at home as well.

The nature of the maths syllabus means that very few people will be well prepared for the mock when it comes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

330ish to 460 in the real thing with no extra study and probably more drinking/going out/arsing about etc etc etc

don't copy me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭michaelm82803

About 405 in mocks -> 560 in real thing.

WOW! that improvement is amazing! How did you manage to do it? i need to go up by about 100 points and was doubting the possibility of doing it bt after seeing your improvement has changed my mind set all together! Can you give me some advice please? Im struggling to study and its 8 weeks to the lc!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

WOW! that improvement is amazing! How did you manage to do it? i need to go up by about 100 points and was doubting the possibility of doing it bt after seeing your improvement has changed my mind set all together! Can you give me some advice please? Im struggling to study and its 8 weeks to the lc!

? it's 12 weeks

unless you are just counting school time, which is stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭michaelm82803

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    ? it's 12 weeks

unless you are just counting school time, which is stupid

My bad, i have NO idea why i said 8 weeks lawl

just under 12 weeks. It sounds slightly more comforting and possible in that perspective!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 lilyos

ozzz wrote: »
    Irish (Pass) B2-B1
    English C2-B3
    Maths B2-B2
    Chemistry C2-B1
    Biology A1-A2
    Spanish B3-A2
    D.C.G C3-A2

445-510

Its extremely important to practice as many past exam papers as you can for every subject, especially for practical subjects like Maths and DCG.

For foreign languages, I would suggest you learn as much vocab as possible and perfect your grammar. Also practicing aural and oral is very important as they carry nearly half of the marks combined.

For the Sciences, you just need to sit down and learn the theory. There is no easy way around it. If you think you know it, don't just leave it at that, test yourself by doing as many as questions that you can on each topic covered. For Chemistry, practice the Maths questions from different topics regularly as you might forget how to do them on the day.

Any one have any tips on getting an A1 in Accounting?
    This is great advice thanks!! It gives me hope!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

465 in mocks, 505 in real thing. EXAM PAPERS!! I think I had some under my pillow at one stage.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

About 405 in mocks -> 560 in real thing.

HOW!? i got 400 points in my mocks there and i want to do science in trinners, so looking at about 475+..
    i do 5honours and 2pass.. so im realy stuck for where i can make up the marks :/

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭dtmc

If I remember correctly mine went like this

French A1-A1
    Maths C1-B2
    English B2 -A2
    Irish B1- A2
    Chemistry B1-A2
    Business B2- A1
    Biology A2-A2

Learnt most from the mock exam in business, especially regarding exam techniques like timing and question choice. I had never managed to finish a business exam completely within the time given until I sat the actual Leaving Cert. exam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Subject Mock Real
    German D1 B1
    Irish C3 A1
    Chemistry NG C1
    Music D1 B1
    Biology E A2
    English C1 A1
    Maths F B3

Didn't drop to ordinary level in any of my subjects, continued doing honours in them. Didn't do any extra studying, just crammed for Chem the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Brother Psychosis

overall, i went from 410 to 520, most drastic change was English D3-A1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

oh and I found that doing previous papers was a life-saver for me. It REALLY helped just knowing the layout, the question structures, the likelihood of certain topics/poets/experiments coming up, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭Alkers

Went from 460 to 495 without much work.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

i went up about a grade per subject (d3-c3, etc) and went up about a hundred points which i think is what happens to most people

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    oh and I found that doing previous papers was a life-saver for me. It REALLY helped just knowing the layout, the question structures, the likelihood of certain topics/poets/experiments coming up, etc.

It also makes sure you are less likely to leave a question out, or answer ones from the wrong section(s), which an astonishing number of candidates do every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

dambarude wrote: »

only got 390 in the mocks? thats better than most people i know got in the real thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

i dont remember the specific details but think i nearly doubled went from mid 200 in mock to 475...doin badly in your mocks is good it terrifies ya into working and actually getting what you need...dont worry bout crappy mocks...three months is more than enough time to learn all you need to know to do well :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

510-590

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I went from something like 305 (I don't remember exactly) to 460. I wasn't a good student though. This was mostly thanks to the power of cramming the week beforehand :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Mental_Legend

I got 400 points in the Mocks last month. I'm a very good student and was really disppointed with most of my results. My main concern is the amount of homework I'm getting, which leaves me with very little time to study. I'm aware that as time goes on and courses in subjects are finished, homework will be primarily from exam papers. I'm aiming for around the 480 mark in the actual exams, so do I need to work my ass off for the next 2 and a half months or am I over-worrying myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Smeefa

435 in mocks 535 in the real thing

• Registered Users Posts: 33 cookier

overall, i went from 410 to 520, most drastic change was English D3-A1

wow that was a massive change in your English result ! fair play. I just got my mock back and got a c3 which i was disappointed with.. I'd really like a B2.
    How did you come up so much? what did you do differently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

First time around, went from something like 320 to 450. Managed to bring a fail in honours maths up to scraping a pass (D3).

Second time around, 480 - 530.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

cookier wrote: »
    wow that was a massive change in your English result ! fair play. I just got my mock back and got a c3 which i was disappointed with.. I'd really like a B2.
    How did you come up so much? what did you do differently?

Best thing you can do to improve your english is make sure you're writing enough. That was my main problem. I never wrote enough. Your essay answers should be between 900-1000 words. 4 main points with 200 words each, and a good intro and conclusion. I bumped my grade from a c3 to an a2 so take my word for it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bm1993

Has anybody done worse in the lc than in the mocks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

Aoifey! wrote: »
    • Biology (H) - E to B2 (worked my ass off for that one!)
    Woah! I need to pull off a miracle like that! Any suggestions!
    As for maths, i only do ordinary, but if i constantly just do exam papers, will that be sufficient? To bring it from a D3 to A-B?

Advertisement