Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Venue for Family Meal in Tullamore

Options
  • 14-02-2011 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We as a family are meeting up in Tullamore for a Family Meal / Family Celebration.

We will be 11-12 Adults and 4-6 kids under 10yrs.

Tullamore is central point for us all to travel to.....any recommendations for us. We would ideal like an 'Early Bird' so as to finish around 9.30pm and then head our separate ways.... but that not essential. The main thing is to accommodate the kids without distrupting other diners!!!

All ideas welcomed!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 SilverCircle

Bridge House is the best bet. Great value carvery service. Lots of room to sit etc. And you can watch the match, have a drink or whatever while you eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

I keep saying The Bridge House to these kind of threads. I think you just can't beat it! Its consistantly good food - and I don't think Jamie's is. Although, when Jamie's are good then they ARE good.

The Acorn is nice, but very intimate and don't think it would be very accomodating to small children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

We went to clonamore house there recently for a meal and 60th bday. Was lovely food that night anyway, seperate room for the meal, and had more than a few drinks afterwards. Was nice i thought. Not sure on the prices though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 thebestone

hi SIROCCOS , on Patrick street, is a great venue. very suitable to any occasion and the owner PAULA is very helpful. food great. pizzas for the kids and good variety otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Hi Paula :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 thebestone

HA! smart arse!! :) i wont even try to convince you otherwise!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Clonamore House. Frank Sweeney is an absolute professional.

Anyone who knew Frank's, after it was Cliffords and before it became Loughreys, could testify to that.

I've been at 40ths, 90ths, and just evening tea there. NEVER disappointed. Private room, the hotel is on it's own private avenue, so MAY be safe for the kids etc.

Should be said that the current owners of the Bridge House are VERY serious about what they do. I would recommend them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ghosttown

Went to the Bridge yesterday based on what was said here.

Not happy - €5.50 for a baby bowl which was basically a soup bowl with a scoop of mashed potatoe and some soup poured on !! And the carvery I got was lukewarm at best.

OP, go to the wolf trap - good food, and free kiddies meals when an adult buys one - since you have a few under 10's this will add up. They are also very child friendly, go down the back where you can probably get a decent sized area to yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bridetobe

I we had a family dinner in the restaurant in the Bridge house last week (early bird) it was brutal. Slow service, and the food was not good. I paid a €11 supplement for a Medium/Rare steak and it came out cremated, sent it back and the next was equally chared, at this stage everyone else was finished so I had to make do. Nobody enjoyed their starters or mains but in fairness the deserts were nice.

Id reccommend the Wolf Trap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Skipmeister

Wouldnt be keen on bridge house either, the aquarium has good service, food, wine and service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

bugger.... booked the Bridge House based on the above reviews!!

However not going til Mid-March so have time to shop around!!

Where is Wolf Trap??? The event is a 25th Wedding Anniversery for the parents and a family gathering of the siblings for a nice mal and a chat. Would Wolf Trap suit same???? What type of food ... father likes Steak, mother likes Chicken ... me -I like fish!!! So... an italian style menu not really suitable!!!!

Keep the suggestions coming....all helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Skipmeister

The aquarium has something for everyone, so has the bridge house but personally think the aquarium is family friendly as it is family run. But if you want a hotel the Tullamore Court is good too, and have a large carpark, hard to get spaces in bridge house carpark if its a busy night, good luck anyway..

Wolftrap is a pub, personally not somewhere I would bring a child in on a weekend night for food, but they are good for sunday lunch.

Its on William Street, at the traffic lights. It would be easy to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

The aquarium has something for everyone, so has the bridge house but personally think the aquarium is family friendly as it is family run. But if you want a hotel the Tullamore Court is good too, and have a large carpark, hard to get spaces in bridge house carpark if its a busy night, good luck anyway..

The court is always a safe bet, been to a few family functions there and never been let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ghosttown

If it's a week night, the Wolf Trap will serve the food you want, and you'll be ok til 9.30.
    If it's a weekend, the Aquarium will be ok, but expect twice the cost of above. Scirroco's, although 'Italian', does cater for all you request above also, and do a decent early bird price.

Or as suggested, the Court Hotel or Clonamore house.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Masala wrote: »
    bugger.... booked the Bridge House based on the above reviews!!

However not going til Mid-March so have time to shop around!!

Where is Wolf Trap??? The event is a 25th Wedding Anniversery for the parents and a family gathering of the siblings for a nice mal and a chat. Would Wolf Trap suit same???? What type of food ... father likes Steak, mother likes Chicken ... me -I like fish!!! So... an italian style menu not really suitable!!!!

Keep the suggestions coming....all helpful

The restaurant in the Bridge House is nice, it's the buffet/cavery I wouldn't recommend.
    Apart from that, I'd recommend Sirrocos too, they have a kind of function room upstairs that's quite private so they might put you up there.

I thought it went without saying the BH restaurant, the carvery ... Yeah... Nothing special.
    But lizt hit nail on head!! Cannot fault the bh restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 muerto14

Wouldnt be keen on bridge house either, the aquarium has good service, food, wine and service.
    Last time we were in aquarium was disaster never again and please dont order fish its poisonous,i could smell my fish was gone off but they told me pangasius smell like that ohh god they think we are all stupid.

Advertisement