Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Walsh

Options
  • 14-02-2011 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭

I know very little about this guy....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

he used to work for anglo and owns loads of property around town.

an ideal candidate for the dail!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Labour have a candidate who use to work for Anglo too. People have to work somewhere. I think Brian left Anglo in 2004.
    (Yes I do know him)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

sgthighway wrote: »
    Labour have a candidate who use to work for Anglo too. People have to work somewhere. I think Brian left Anglo in 2004.
    (Yes I do know him)

Which Labour candidate worked for Anglo?

Lockstep wrote: »
    Which Labour candidate worked for Anglo?
    Arthur Spring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Arthur Spring

That's hardly relevant to the Galway city thread now is it?? And it's not like the Spring family have any previous connections to Labour :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

That's hardly relevant to the Galway city thread now is it?? And it's not like the Spring family have any previous connections to Labour :rolleyes:

This is not a local election and not just relevant to Galway City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

This is not a local election and not just relevant to Galway City.

However, there isn't much point even mentioning a candidate running in Kerry North in a thread which relates to the Galway West constituency, and about a candidate running in said constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Didn't someone post more detail on his background i.e. property speculation, something about assisting or advising developers etc too?
    Saying he left Anglo in 2004 is not sufficient - wasnt he there for quite a while?

IMO its not sufficient to come on here and speculate about any of the candidates. Too many people hiding behind usernames and running a smear campaign against some of them. Likewise people registering multiple accounts to defend the same candidate. Politics belongs in the Politics Forum. Just my 2 cents.

Anybody living in Galway should know the work or lack of work these candidates have done as Councillors, Community Activists, etc. and be able to pick who they should think gets elected and not be making judgement on what they read on boards.ie or even flyers that are published by the Political Parties.

Not all politicians look for the recognition for the work they do whereas some of a fetish about been on the radio, writing letters and having their photo taken.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Yeah that was me
    Phoenix magazine article - Brian’s background is in finance, having worked in corporate banking for National Irish Bank for four years until 1998, before joining Anglo Irish Bank as an assistant banking manager in Galway. He left a year later to set up a financial consultancy, called Burke Tarpey Walsh Financial Services, and became directly involved in the property game himself, acquiring no less than nine apartments from around 1999 to 2004..These days with the property market in tatters Walsh is a fulltime councillor, with his consultancy having ceased trading in July 2009..

Cllr. Brian Walsh has 10 residential properties, located in Wellpark, Briarhill, Mervue, Sligo, and Dublin. And is the part owner of units in the Mervue Industrial Estate, the Parkmore Industrial Estate, and the Briarhill Business Park; and that he has full planning permission for one detached residential unit in Merlin Park http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/30324

Btw that is in addition to his home in Drum, outside the city boundary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

i blatently REFUSE to vote for someone that has multiple properties or has been involved in anglo.

Multiple properties = GREED pure and simple

you can only sit your arse on one toilet at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

i blatently REFUSE to vote for someone that has multiple properties...

...Multiple properties = GREED pure and simple.

Bit of a chip on your shoulder that someone actually made some money and bought a few houses? Should everyone just be happy with being mediocre and having the exact same as everyone else?

Don't see how any of this thread is a smear campaign. This contains published facts which for some reason many Galway people are unaware of. Candidates seem to think their background doesn't count, and that they can keep these facts under the table. I for one think snubbleste's information deserves due consideration.

ya I do have a very large chip on my shoulder re. property developers trying to get into politics - its all about greed and don't ever think otherwise.

I would rather someone going into politics that has no other agenda but to be in there for the common good of the people. Not as a sideline to their greed mongering.

Thats my opinion and I'm sticking to it - and you won't change my mind - call me what you will

ya I do have a very large chip on my shoulder re. property developers trying to get into politics - its all about greed and don't ever think otherwise.

I would rather someone going into politics that has no other agenda but to be in there for the common good of the people. Not as a sideline to their greed mongering.

Thats my opinion and I'm sticking to it - and you won't change my mind - call me what you will

I won't call you anything - there is no need.

I would however say I'd rather have successful business people running the country than someone who's business experience runs as far as filling out a dole form or organising an environmental protest.

there's a difference between successful business people and opportunists.

Are you of the opinion that someone on the dole is useless? Shame. go have a look one of the days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

He is my wifes cousin..

Are you of the opinion that someone on the dole is useless?

Nope, absolutely not. My point was that if someone's business experience was limited to being on the dole, having done nothing else, then I would not want them in government.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I'd vote for you :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

His history and his party are a recipe for disaster, no chance he'll get a vote in my house

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Is there a credit history test for candidates in the General Election? In Britain, maybe here too, you can't join the police force if you've a bad credit history as you would be seen to be liable to influence from the wrong quarters.

Does the same apply for candidates in the election? If his consultancy firm stopped trading as stated in the post earlier in this thread, and his only regular income is from councillor expenses, does that not provide the possibility that he's going for election for the wrong reasons?

Maybe his financial situation is ok but I would hope that ALL candidates' credit histories are clarified before election to Dáil Eireann.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

kraggy wrote: »
    Is there a credit history test for candidates in the General Election? In Britain, maybe here too, you can't join the police force if you've a bad credit history as you would be seen to be liable to influence from the wrong quarters. .....
    Maybe his financial situation is ok but I would hope that ALL candidates' credit histories are clarified before election to Dáil Eireann.

That's hilarious kraggy!
    Write to him and ask, contact details on the galwaycity.ie website. While you are at it, ask Frank Fahey the same question, I'd be really interested in his financial situation.

mloc wrote: »
    Nope, absolutely not. My point was that if someone's business experience was limited to being on the dole, having done nothing else, then I would not want them in government.

i don't think anyone who leaves school early to get straight on the dole would be interested in politics do you? However your above statements reads like you have a problem with people on the dole, as you do with somebody who protests for a cause.

If that IS the case, then you should broaden your thinking a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

I won't call you anything - there is no need.

I would however say I'd rather have successful business people running the country than someone who's business experience runs as far as filling out a dole form or organising an environmental protest.
    Property speculators are not business people, most of them were merely bandwagon jumpers who were betting on a sure thing. Most have now lost their knickers and i'm not sorry cos all the property boom did was price ordianary people looking for a home out of the market. At least successful business people create wealth and employment. Property speculators don't create jack ****.

We certainly don't need them in our parliment trying to cover their losses.

And no i'm not just jealous, i've got plenty of money thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

I know very little about this guy....

Cool name anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I would however say I'd rather have successful business people running the country

Rules Walsh out so who are you voting for??

Shocked to see predictions that this candidate will actually get elected. Seems to be keeping the truth of his past and property ownership very much under wraps away from most people - or perhaps people just aren't interested in a candidate's background.
    I see the campaign site lists him as currently running a financial business - I thought this had ceased trading some time ago?

Would have thought years at Anglo + property speculation + advising developers would have concerned some. I guess not, which explains so many years of FF in power

Pity McCormack wasn't selected instead - would have had my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I have some info which shows some sneaky property dealings by Walsh. I'll post the full details when I get home this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

I have some info which shows some sneaky property dealings by Walsh. I'll post the full details when I get home this evening.

I will alert the media. Time and venue for press conference please?

• Advertisement

i don't think anyone who leaves school early to get straight on the dole would be interested in politics do you? However your above statements reads like you have a problem with people on the dole, as you do with somebody who protests for a cause.

If that IS the case, then you should broaden your thinking a little bit.

I've no problem with "people on the dole". The term "people on the dole" covers a very wide spectrum of individuals.

I have no problem with people who require social welfare due to illness or because they cannot under any circumstances find employment within the country.

I do have a problem with people who use the social welfare system as an alternative to employment, those who make a limited attempt to find employment or those who decline employment because it would require relocation or has lower renumeration to what they might be used to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement