Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Walsh

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭hoorsmelt

mloc wrote: »
    Bit of a chip on your shoulder that someone actually made some money and bought a few houses? Should everyone just be happy with being mediocre and having the exact same as everyone else?

It's a matter for concern when the person in question is a candidate for the political party which will lead the next government and which is aiming to victimise working class people with their policies of cuts, job losses and privatisations. Not to mention of course the role Anglo played in the whole collapse. Fyi I would say that this should be used against Spring and Labour too- it's a case of plus ca change with all the main political parties when it comes to shíte like this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Are there any links between Walsh and the property developer [URL="[url]http://www.independent.ie/national-news/councillors-site-set-to-be-rezoned-despite-warnings-1211274.html[/url]"]Liam Mulryan[/URL] besides a share in land? - Ah ok he joined his auctioneer firm, quit six months before he got elected as a councillor in 2004 and he was his accountant who could not remember a decision at a 2001 meeting that eventually cost the taxpayer €100,000

A brief history of Brian and an Anglo photograph

Btw Frank Fahey was at his wedding in 2006, small world :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

snubbleste wrote: »
    Are there any links between Walsh and the property developer [URL="[url]http://www.independent.ie/national-news/councillors-site-set-to-be-rezoned-despite-warnings-1211274.html[/url]"]Liam Mulryan[/URL] besides a share in land? - Ah ok he joined his auctioneer firm, quit six months before he got elected as a councillor in 2004 and he was his accountant who could not remember a decision at a 2001 meeting that eventually cost the taxpayer €100,000

That will do me!!

no votes or transfers for Brian in this house!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I wrote to all the councillors in the East Ward when that rezoning was pushed through against planners' advice, only 2 of them bothered to reply, neither of whom are councillors any more. Needless to say, I won't be voting for the couple of boys standing now who couldn't be arsed to explain their actions then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Brian Walsh was never going to get a vote from me and he still won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

I still do not understand how all this information isn't common knowledge - the guy is up for election as a TD for God's sake.

Shocking if it is all true. Keeping it all under wraps and glossing over his actual association with banks and developers just adds to suspicion. Take a look at the campaign site profile....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I know very little about this guy....

neither does anyone else. I could be wrong but he seems to be the type of guy who wants to be elected to increase his status, but could not care less if he is not elected.

I'm sure there is more. Search the reported news in the Sentinel & Tribune yourself
    http://www.irishnewsarchive.com/Default/Skins/INA/Client.asp?Skin=INA&enter=true&AppName=2&AW=1297880424093
    Maybe we can help Brian by jogging his memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

fmul9798 wrote: »
    I still do not understand how all this information isn't common knowledge - the guy is up for election as a TD for God's sake.

Shocking if it is all true. Keeping it all under wraps and glossing over his actual association with banks and developers just adds to suspicion. Take a look at the campaign site profile....

In fairness, there's nothing there I didnt know already. Its not like it hasnt all been in the papers before. Its not like a veil of secrecy, its been out there like Frank's 40 Gaffs (and gaffes), people just didnt seem to sit up and take notice until election time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

McTigs wrote: »
    Property speculators are not business people, most of them were merely bandwagon jumpers who were betting on a sure thing. Most have now lost their knickers and i'm not sorry cos all the property boom did was price ordianary people looking for a home out of the market. At least successful business people create wealth and employment. Property speculators don't create jack ****.

We certainly don't need them in our parliment trying to cover their losses.

And no i'm not just jealous, i've got plenty of money thanks very much.

I was liking your point, until the end of it when you felt the need to brag about how much money you had:rolleyes:

Regardless, I didn't know much about Brian Walsh when I started this thread, but I think I know now that he is exactly what we don't need more of in Dail Eireann.

He won't be getting my vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

I was liking your point, until the end of it when you felt the need to brag about how much money you had:rolleyes:

Regardless, I didn't know much about Brian Walsh when I started this thread, but I think I know now that he is exactly what we don't need more of in Dail Eireann.

He won't be getting my vote.
    not bragging, it's just when anyone critisizes property portfolio types the rebuttal is usually something like "you're just jealous with your mediocre life"

pre-empting is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Yeah that was me
    Phoenix magazine article - Brian’s background is in finance, having worked in corporate banking for National Irish Bank for four years until 1998, before joining Anglo Irish Bank as an assistant banking manager in Galway. He left a year later to set up a financial consultancy, called Burke Tarpey Walsh Financial Services, and became directly involved in the property game himself, acquiring no less than nine apartments from around 1999 to 2004..These days with the property market in tatters Walsh is a fulltime councillor, with his consultancy having ceased trading in July 2009..

Cllr. Brian Walsh has 10 residential properties, located in Wellpark, Briarhill, Mervue, Sligo, and Dublin. And is the part owner of units in the Mervue Industrial Estate, the Parkmore Industrial Estate, and the Briarhill Business Park; and that he has full planning permission for one detached residential unit in Merlin Park http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/30324

Btw that is in addition to his home in Drum, outside the city boundary.
    yeehaw wrote: »
    I will alert the media. Time and venue for press conference please?

The house referred to in the above article received planning permission in June 2008. The application was in the name of Brian and his wife presumably to indicate that it was to be a "family home", permission was given to demolish the existing house and rebuild a new house on the site. A commencement notice was issued that work was to start on 28/05/2009 and the house was then demolished.

Two weeks later Brian Walsh sends a letter to the council informing them that the house has been demolished but he has decided not to commence with the rest of the development for the moment. All this info is available on the Galway City Council website under planning reference 08144. One has to ask why would someone go to the trouble and expense of demolishing a house and only two weeks later deciding not to finish of the building.

We'll move on to planning reference 10212 and we can see why Brian demolished the house and went no further. A certain Pat Treacy inherited two fields in 2004 at the back of the site which Brian Walsh owned but there was no access into the land. The land holding had been split and the original access was no longer available.

Planning reference 10212 is looking for permission for 4 houses in this land and Brian Walsh has kindly agreed to sell his bit of land to this guy if he gets permission for the 4 houses so he will have access to the site.

What a stroke of luck for Brian Walsh that he hadn't proceeded with building a house on the site in question. There is still land available down the back of these 4 houses and supposedly they will be looking for permission for a further two houses if this deal goes through.

I know there is nothing illegal per se here but it is a devious underhanded way of going about getting planning permission. Permission is not usually granted to demolish a house for these reasons and to do it in this way shows that they hadn't expected to receive planning through the normal channels. So why should they receive it in this situation

This behaviour seems to follow Brian Walsh around like a bad smell and I think people should be aware of what he is up to as it certainly doesn't befit a man of office. Compared to what has gone before him this may not seem as bad but this could be the start of a slippy slope and people like this shouldn't even get a chance in the Dail.

This planning is currently at the Further info requested stage since 23-09-2010 and they have six months to reply. Does anyone know is it too late to object to this yet or should it have been done while the site notice was put up initially

Cllr Brian Walsh has also requested a prior notice for this planning, sure there's no conflict there at all

Certainly reads like another "auld stroke". One wonders what other dealings have yet to surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭shaggykev

So how is Brian odds on to get elected?

Is he going to get all the Frank fahey voters or the McCormack voters?(many of whom I'm sure don't read idle gossip on boards.ie)

Just because someone owns property or worked for Anglo or dealt with Liam Mulyran doesn't make them evil or unfit for being a TD but I suppose people only need to hear those words and think "another Frank Fahey" no chance

Sitting no the fence myself, Know i need to vote FG but who is the best candidate

Fidelma is useless, terrible speaked at that NUIG hustings
    Hildegarde has done nothing since elected but manages to impress people with a bit of political posturing just before the election with that rezoning issue and Sean Kyne, not really sure about him. Doubt he'll get in out in Connemara against O Cuiv, Clorataigh and Welby

So Brian is left as the front runner, spoke to him at the door for ages and seemed the brightest of the bunch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 My View

Brian Walsh has to win a Dáil seat to earn the extra cash, this guy has very little "free income" as his property gambling and excitement during the so called Celtic Tiger era has come to fruition in a BAD way......See the Galway advertiser artcle detailed above says it alll and I've made enquiries locally that confirm he's feeling the pinch big time......

His agenda to win a dáil seat is financial nothing else...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

the more i read this thread the angrier i get!!

im gonna tell everyone i know not to vote for this guy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I know there is nothing illegal per se here but it is a devious underhanded way of going about getting planning permission. Permission is not usually granted to demolish a house for these reasons and to do it in this way shows that they hadn't expected to receive planning through the normal channels. So why should they receive it in this situation

This planning is currently at the Further info requested stage since 23-09-2010 and they have six months to reply. Does anyone know is it too late to object to this yet or should it have been done while the site notice was put up initially

I can confirm that on the face of it all your observations appear well founded. The success of application 10212 depends on whether "Backland Development" is permitted on the large site including Brians site which is the entrance to the Backland area.

Backland means that normal road frontage rules are not enforced and is allowed in areas zoned Residential but not in rural areas were each premises has to have its own frontage of 70m.

If the area ( Roscam peninsula) was zoned residential or for a higher density than rural in the 2004-2011 City Development Plan then there is nothing wrong with this. I would have thought that the City Council would have thrown the application straight out in that case and not asked for Further Information at all.

The area is shown as WHITE not Light blue in the 2005-2011 Zoning Map ( bottom left) , as in all of it whether with road frontage or not.

White is "Low Density Residential" and Blue is "Agricultural" in that link and it would seem to me that some bending of the road frontage rule is allowed over what is allowed in rural areas.

Could be Brian was simply offered one of the 4 proposed houses as a contra and could be he will be a loooooong time waiting for it the way things are nowadays :)

Bobby Molloy has long had three or four sites for sale near Leisureland and they are rather high density to say the least as well as a bit of a local eyesore so Brian ain't exactly setting a precedence for Galway politicians here.

If Sponge Bob found himself with an otherwise useless field behind Brians road frontage I would have offered him a free house for the access myself and I would have ensured it was done in the most tax efficient manner as well :)

The area has a specific low density residential objective Fig 11:10 in this link applies.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/CityDevelopmentPlan/chapter11.html

LDR Rosshill House and adjacent lands (top, below)
    • The maximum plot ratio density of 0.2:1 shall only
    be considered following agreement on an overall
    layout of the area. This layout will have regard to
    the areas zoned RA, the tree coverage, the existing
    pillars and stone walls.
    • Satisfactory main drainage arrangements will be
    required to achieve the above density.

map33.jpg

You are a font of knowledge Spongebob

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭shaggykev

you guys better up your smear campaign

he's going to not only going to get elected but top the poll

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/36571

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

On course for around 9000 votes ( + or - 1000 for marginn of error) according to the opinion poll. The Real Anglo Avenger I'll call him from now on :D

He might even get in on the first count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

shaggykev wrote: »

Just because someone owns property or worked for Anglo or dealt with Liam Mulyran doesn't make them evil or unfit for being a TD...

Apparently on boards owning a few houses or being a minor enough functionary in a bank does indeed make one the devil incarnate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Apparently being a member of a political party entitles you to votes, and anyone giving a perfectly valid reason why they wouldn't vote for you must be some sort of ridiculous over reacting lunatic...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Apparently being a member of a political party entitles you to votes, and anyone giving a perfectly valid reason why they wouldn't vote for you must be some sort of ridiculous over reacting lunatic...

But is having worked for Anglo a valid reason to attack anyone other than the people at the top? Is his owning a few houses a reason to attck him?

With regard to the former, hundreds if not thousands of bank employees were royally screwed by the few at the top of the banks for years. Many were given bonuses in bank shares which are now worthless and now they've lost or are losing their jobs because of the negligence of Seanie and Co. As to owning houses being apparently unacceptable, why stop at politicians? Do we want teachers teaching our kids who own houses? Do we want doctors treated the sick if they own houses?

Dunno who you're referring to as "ridiculous over reacting lunatics"?

By the way, I don't know Walsh and I won't be voting for him, but for reasons other than him owning a few houses or having worked in a minor position in a bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Casting someone's opinion as being thinking someone is the 'devil incarnate' is not casting them as an over-reacting lunatic?

People are entitled to vote however they see fit. I don't think anyone here is not voting for him because he has 'a few houses'. However if they did think that someone might put their business interests ahead of the interests of their constituents then that is a perfectly valid reason not to vote for them, and no amount of scoffing from you will change their minds.

Nobody is entitled to anyone's vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

a lot of anger and nonsense here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I will giving Brian Walsh my No. 1 because:

I know the man. He has a good education. He is local.
    At a young age proved his leadership skills and interest in governing when he was President of the Students Union in the GMIT.
    He is entering his 8th year as a City Councillor. He has been mayor. Even our City Council have used him as a mediator in their own disputes in the chamber. He has more experience than some other candidates.
    IMO he is a good public representative. He is both sociable and approachable.
    He has experience in finance which should stand to him when helping with budgets.
    He is a member of the party who I think will be leading the next government and if elected it would be in my best interests to have somebody like him in government than to have some other local person in opposition.
    I also think he is the most experienced Fine Gael candidate in Galway West. He doesn’t look for the recognition for the work he does. He doesn’t write letters to the Advertiser or ring Galway Bay FM over every little issue.

If we have a Labour/Fine Gael coalition we won't get anything done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

sgthighway wrote: »
    I will giving Brian Walsh my No. 1 because:

I know the man. He has a good education. He is local.
    At a young age proved his leadership skills and interest in governing when he was President of the Students Union in the GMIT.
    He is entering his 8th year as a City Councillor. He has been mayor. Even our City Council have used him as a mediator in their own disputes in the chamber. He has more experience than some other candidates.
    IMO he is a good public representative. He is both sociable and approachable.
    He has experience in finance which should stand to him when helping with budgets.
    He is a member of the party who I think will be leading the next government and if elected it would be in my best interests to have somebody like him in government than to have some other local person in opposition.
    I also think he is the most experienced Fine Gael candidate in Galway West. He doesn’t look for the recognition for the work he does. He doesn’t write letters to the Advertiser or ring Galway Bay FM over every little issue.

If we have a Labour/Fine Gael coalition we won't get anything done.

1 which of the candidates are not local?
    2 president of the student union WOW!!!
    3 He is chief whip and thats why he was used in the disputes
    4 sure 40 gaffes have 20 odd years of experience so why not vote for him!!!
    5 i dont want a sociable td i want a hardworking td
    6 his finance experience is in construction which is an industry which has led the imf into the country. Hardly a plus.
    7 FG are running 4 candidates dont see why him over the other 3
    8 im sure the other FG candidates will tell you they are more experienced than him.
    9 not talking to gbfm and the advertiser means a lot of votes wont hear from him until he knocks on our door looking for a vote again.
    10 ff/labour coalition wont get anything done!!!! explain this please????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I can confirm that on the face of it all your observations appear well founded. The success of application 10212 depends on whether "Backland Development" is permitted on the large site including Brians site which is the entrance to the Backland area.

Backland means that normal road frontage rules are not enforced and is allowed in areas zoned Residential but not in rural areas were each premises has to have its own frontage of 70m.

If the area ( Roscam peninsula) was zoned residential or for a higher density than rural in the 2004-2011 City Development Plan then there is nothing wrong with this. I would have thought that the City Council would have thrown the application straight out in that case and not asked for Further Information at all.

The area is shown as WHITE not Light blue in the 2005-2011 Zoning Map ( bottom left) , as in all of it whether with road frontage or not.

White is "Low Density Residential" and Blue is "Agricultural" in that link and it would seem to me that some bending of the road frontage rule is allowed over what is allowed in rural areas.

Could be Brian was simply offered one of the 4 proposed houses as a contra and could be he will be a loooooong time waiting for it the way things are nowadays :)

Bobby Molloy has long had three or four sites for sale near Leisureland and they are rather high density to say the least as well as a bit of a local eyesore so Brian ain't exactly setting a precedence for Galway politicians here.

If Sponge Bob found himself with an otherwise useless field behind Brians road frontage I would have offered him a free house for the access myself and I would have ensured it was done in the most tax efficient manner as well :)

The area has a specific low density residential objective Fig 11:10 in this link applies.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/CityDevelopmentPlan/chapter11.html

LDR Rosshill House and adjacent lands (top, below)
    • The maximum plot ratio density of 0.2:1 shall only
    be considered following agreement on an overall
    layout of the area. This layout will have regard to
    the areas zoned RA, the tree coverage, the existing
    pillars and stone walls.
    • Satisfactory main drainage arrangements will be
    required to achieve the above density.

map33.jpg

Thanks for that info Spongebob. I think this was all planned in advance and didn't just happen in the time between the demolition starting and two weeks later. I don't know what Walsh paid for his house but considering that people were looking for around 500k or more for sites during the boom he must have paid a good bit for it. It would be interesting to know who financed this?

So, did this guy get questioned during any radio interviews about his anglo background and close developer ties, or any of the other revelations on this thread?
    Surprised there hasn't been anything (at least I have not seen it) in the local papers.

• Advertisement

fmul9798 wrote: »
    So, did this guy get questioned during any radio interviews about his anglo background and close developer ties, or any of the other revelations on this thread?
    Surprised there hasn't been anything (at least I have not seen it) in the local papers.

Nope.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement