Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donadea 50km

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Good
    Room for the Stews on the bus?

Name|Target|Comments
    menoscemo|3:59:30|hopefully 7:35/mile over 31 miles is nice and comfy :eek:
    opus|3:59:30|First time going over marathon distance so maybe optimistic
    Cabaal|4:20:00|Looking to knock over 30min off my last 50km
    BeepBeep67|3:59:30|Jumping on the 4hr bus and will take it from there
    Mr Stew|3:59:30|I pipped him at the post in Raheny so I'm pretty sure he's out for revenge;)
    Marthastew|3:59:30| A little risky as it involves a marathon PB but the 4 hour bus looks like fun and I'm all about the fun:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Good
    Name|Target|Comments
    Mr Stew|3:59:30|I pipped him at the post in Raheny so I'm pretty sure he's out for revenge;)
    Marthastew|3:59:30| A little risky as it involves a marathon PB but the 4 hour bus looks like fun and I'm all about the fun:)
    Krusty_clown|3:39:30|Is there room in the forest for another bus? This one's landing before the clock strikes 3:40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Good
    Name|Target|Comments
    Krusty_clown|3:39:30|Is there room in the forest for another bus? This one's landing before the clock strikes 3:40

This year I am on mission 'not get lapped by Krusty' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Good
    Ma and a mate are gonna run 9 min miles or just under. We aim to finish just under 3.40 if anyone wants to tag along

Good
    Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Ma and a mate are gonna run 9 min miles or just under. We aim to finish just under 3.40 if anyone wants to tag along

Are you planning on taking a short cut? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Ma and a mate are gonna run 9 min miles

i dont have an entry for ur ma,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Good
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Are you planning on taking a short cut? :D
    Yeah like you did last year :P
    And anto, your ma :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Good
    Name|Target|Comments
    Belcarra|4:29:30|I've not got enough training done for this yet so it'll just be a trot around and get the miles in the legs.

Could be tempted to go up to 10 mins faster though...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Name|Target|Comments
    Belcarra|4:29:30|I've not got enough training done for this yet so it'll just be a trot around and get the miles in the legs.
    Vagga|4:29:30+|Training was going great until a few weeks before race, story of my life! Taking it easy, may even keep 5 hour bus company! Very much a LSR for Conn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Good
    Name|Target|Comments
    menoscemo|3:59:30|hopefully 7:35/mile over 31 miles is nice and comfy
    Mr Stew|3:59:30|I pipped him at the post in Raheny so I'm pretty sure he's out for revenge
    Marthastew|3:59:30| A little risky as it involves a marathon PB but the 4 hour bus looks like fun and I'm all about the fun
    Vagga|4:29:30+|Training was going great until a few weeks before race, story of my life! Taking it easy, may even keep 5 hour bus company! Very much a LSR for Conn
    PaulieC|4:15:00-4:30:00|I don't really have a clue how long it's going to take, but I reckon on doing ~8:30 pace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Good
    Name|Target|Comments
    Mr Stew|3:59:30|I pipped him at the post in Raheny so I'm pretty sure he's out for revenge
    Marthastew|3:59:30| A little risky as it involves a marathon PB but the 4 hour bus looks like fun and I'm all about the fun
    PaulieC|4:15:00-4:30:00|I don't really have a clue how long it's going to take, but I reckon on doing ~8:30 pace
    Aimman|4:59:59| Any faster and Anto will have me sacked!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭breffni blue

Good
    Sub 4.25 hopfully....and give Anto back his shorts..

....and give Anto back his shorts..
    before d race preferebly...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Good
    I can confirm Anto doesn't wear shorts!!!

RACE DAY INSTRUCTIONS
    Race start time ....10:00 am sharp.
    Number pick up….Will take place at Donadea forest car park from 8:15-9:15…..the entrance barrier will be paid for by the race between these times, after 9:15 you will have to pay the admission fee 5€ (in coins).
    The course…. 10 x 4.968 km loops with a 0.32km run up to the start line to make it 50km.The course will be marked at every km, but due to the nature of the course(extra run up)the km markers will only take into account the actual loop. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/118322861

The cut off….5hrs…there will be a marathon time for any participant who doesn’t make the cut off time of 5 hours. If you are behind the 5hr backmarker/pacer at 40km (8th lap), you must register your marathon time with the marshal at the marathon check point clock as it is unlikely that you will make the 5hr cut-off at this point in the race.
    First aid….The Red Cross will be in attendance for the duration of the race (5hrs)
    Food/water stations….There will be limited water provided in bottles and unlimited water in cups and there will be energy drinks and gels from SIS provided in cups at the start/ finish area. There will be tables provided for you to put any drinks or food that you bring for yourself.
    Timing….will be provided by Red Tag Timing and lap splits will be available and live updates depending on coverage.

Directions ….From Dublin take (N4) leave the motor way at junction 8(Kilcock), head towards Clane (R407). At approximately 6km, turn right at Baltreacy cross and drive through minor crossroads, continue to next junction (stop sign), turn right and the forest entrance is 1km on the left hand side.
    From the west (M4), get off at junction 8 (Kilcock) 1st exit after toll, and follow directions above.
    From the south (M7), take the Naas exit, junction 9. Drive towards Sallins, Clane and follow signs for Kilcock. Entering Clane Main Street, turn left at Esso garage and drive 6+km, up to Baltreacy cross, turning left and following directions above.
    Please familiarise yourself with the route to Donadea forest park as the race will start on time.
    Environment …..
    The race is run on the leave no trace principal (http://www.leavenotraceireland.org.) There will be bins at the start/finish area and at the halfway point and with Marshalls on duty. Please do not litter the course and please use the bins for any gels, bottles or wrappers that you may use on the course. Anyone littering will be disqualified and asked to leave the course as per the environment policy.
    Toilets….The Donadea forest Cafe has kindly let us use their services ,please leave them as you found them and if they are in need of attention please inform a Marshall.
    There are no facilities for showering in the forest park so bring warm dry clothes to get into after the race. There will be massage available during and post-race.
    Medals …. Will be presented as you finish.
    Presentation ….Of winners trophies will take place 15 minutes after the first lady finisher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Good
    Name|Target|Comments
    Sideswipe|4:19:59| First marathon+ distance so not sure what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭glennhysen

Good
    Name|Target|Comments
    Glennhysen|4:45:00|Ran 4.56 last year so hoping to go a little quicker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Good
    Name|Target|Comments
    b.harte|4:59:59|I was hoping to go a little quicker but lack of training due to family illnesses means this will be a nice LSR for something else. Room for another on the late bus?

Aimman|4:59:59| Any faster and Anto will have me sacked

Any faster and I'd be impressed.....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Name|Target|Comments
    shotgunmcos|3:59:31|the back seat of the bus for messers :D
    b.harte|4:59:59|I was hoping to go a little quicker but lack of training due to family illnesses means this will be a nice LSR for something else. Room for another on the late bus?

• Advertisement

can sumone put glynn hysen back in ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Good
    ultraman1 wrote: »
    can sumone put glynn hysen back in ,

Done..
    My Bad :o:o
    Name|Target|Comments
    shotgunmcos|3:59:31|the back seat of the bus for messers :D

Good
    What approach to tapering do people take for a race like this? I did back to back 20 milers last weekend and am trying to figure out what to do this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iamjenko

Average
    sideswipe wrote: »
    What approach to tapering do people take for a race like this? I did back to back 20 milers last weekend and am trying to figure out what to do this weekend.

Did 24 on Saturday gone and 7 on Sunday. Will do my normal mid-week stuff this week, just do 10 maybe 12 this Saturday and 5 on Sunday, both at a gentle pace and very little during the week in the run up to the 16th, couple of 5 milers maybe!

Good

You are really getting through the miles Sideswipe. Conn will be no bother to you but just be careful to not peak too early.

As regards taper it depends what do you want to get out of the race? Are you gunning for your best time or do you just see it as a long training run? If the former I would take it way down this weekend (maybe just one longish (13-16 miles) run?) if the latter I would just be taking it relatively easy for a few days before the race itself...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Good
    ultraman1 wrote: »
    Aimman|4:59:59| Any faster and Anto will have me sacked

Any faster and I'd be impressed.....:p

That makes two of us ;)

Good
    menoscemo wrote: »
    You are really getting through the miles Sideswipe. Conn will be no bother to you but just be careful to not peak too early.

As regards taper it depends what do you want to get out of the race? Are you gunning for your best time or do you just see it as a long training run? If the former I would take it way down this weekend (maybe just one longish (13-16 miles) run?) if the latter I would just be taking it relatively easy for a few days before the race itself...

Cheers Meno, I'm really looking at this as a 'dipping my toe' race so will probably ease up next week. My biggest problem now is not sticking to my plan which was just to train well for Conn and enjoy the experience, training is going well and I'm due to do Barcelona as a XLSR but the temptation to go for a PB is really starting to creep in:rolleyes: I remember from your log you had a similar situation with Blackpool last year.

Good
    Cheers Meno, I'm really looking at this as a 'dipping my toe' race so will probably ease up next week. My biggest problem now is not sticking to my plan which was just to train well for Conn and enjoy the experience, training is going well and I'm due to do Barcelona as a XLSR but the temptation to go for a PB is really starting to creep in:rolleyes: I remember from your log you had a similar situation with Blackpool last year.

Not just Blackpool last year, I raced Barcelona 2 years ago (1 week after Donadea) and set a good PB.
    There is no doubt that the Back to back and XLR's will give you loads of strength over Marathon distance and it will be hard for you not to race Barcelona if you feel you are in PB shape. If it affects your Conn performance so be it, but if you only ever intended to 'get through' Conn that won't be an issue. I was hoping to go sub 6 in Conn in 2011 and even though i had cramps over the last 13.1 I still came in 10 minutes below target.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Im sorry to say that Im out of this folks - knee not quite better

Enjoy all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

I'd love to say I'm out of this! Training the past several weeks has been p1ss poor, I'm sick of running on roads and trails in training and the thought of running round this forest for ten laps appeals like a hole in the head right now!

So the sooner it's this time Saturday week and it's all over the better. And thank feck ultraman didn't follow through on his threat after the race last year to stage a 100 this year or I'd probably have twice as much hell to anticipate.

Advertisement