Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donadea 50km

Options
1192021222325»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Good
    Great event today, nice work Anto. Was suffering a lot on my last 3 laps, so was delighted to just finish it in the end. Congrats Claralara, great, well-deserved result. Some serious results by many diffferent people out there today..... I was so cold and wrecked tired afterwards so didn't hang around to chat after. Thanks for all the support from boardsies, really spurred me on through the start finish area.!

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Very enjoyable run today and very well organised by Anto and Crew. Had the pleasure of a few boardsies on the way round (M Stew, Mr Stew, Belcarra) which was great and helped make the miles go by easier. Great camaraderie among all the runners (both the lappers and the lappees) marshals and supporters which was fantastic. Gary O' Hanlon even had nice words for us on one of the 4 times :eek: he lapped us . We happened to be crossing the finish line just as he was finishing so had the pleasure of witnessing a superb sub 3 hr 50k. Claralara also shot by us and looked v strong, finishing in an amazing time.

Unfortunately I won't make the pints tonight but hope ye all enjoy them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Good
    Really enjoyed that. Was aiming for 4:30 and got 4:30:14 (clock was a bit wobbly :-) ) had a specific plan for today -try to run pb for everything. Bagged 10k,missed 10m by 11 sec, bagged half, 20mile and full - and to top it got the 50km as well even thoigh things went a bit pearshaped between 20m and marathon. Great day, super support and great organisation. Will be back next year.the drive back home was a bit sketchy, couldnt really use the clutch too cleanly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Good
    I realised at halfway that I had not eaten since 5 am and was starving all throughout the second half! My pace held up remarkably well but I ditched the plan of speeding up in the second half. Ran laps 3-10 all within 30 seconds of each other, happy enough with that.

Despite the hunger pangs I still felt like jogging until the marathon point but the last 5 miles felt a lot tougher. Was happy to be done and I sincerely hope they got pictures of me finishing doing an Aimann! ;)

Oh, and I was glad I didn't have to jump into the pond. I was cold enough as it was one I stopped running. :)

Next time I'll remember not to run a 50 k on an empty stomach and will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Canine Marathoner

Good
    I realised at halfway that I had not eaten since 5 am and was starving all throughout the second half! My pace held up remarkably well but I ditched the plan of speeding up in the second half. Ran laps 3-10 all within 30 seconds of each other, happy enough with that.

Despite the hunger pangs I still felt like jogging until the marathon point but the last 5 miles felt a lot tougher. Was happy to be done and I sincerely hope they got pictures of me finishing doing an Aimann! ;)

Oh, and I was glad I didn't have to jump into the pond. I was cold enough as it was one I stopped running. :)

Next time I'll remember not to run a 50 k on an empty stomach and will be fine.

Enjoyed running the first 35kms with you Thomas,mirages & all! I dropped out at 40kms - my first DNF. Made a schoolboy error in wearing an aged,well-worn pair of runners (but a pair that have served me well) in expectation of even muddier conditions; but it turned out to be a very bad & stupid decision as I could really feel the impact from each footfall especially after 4 laps. You went ahead at the start of lap 8 & I plodded through that lap nearly a full 3 minutes slower than the pace we had been running at. I feared injury if I pressed on as hips & lower back were getting really sore, & as Conne Ultra is my goal A I very reluctantly left the course. The body feels as if I did 10 rounds in the ring with Mike Tyson. A valuable but obvious lesson learnt: don't take any chances with running footwear!
    Hope to be back next year to enjoy the race in full. Thanks to Anto Lee & crew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Good
    Congrats to all who ran yesterday, it was great to catch up with so many boardsies before, during and after the race. Special thanks to Ferris B for putting up with my ramblings for the entire race, very best of luck in Conn Ultra.

A family day out for the Stews....
    Mr S was delighted with a good quality 35K run as part of Barcelona training and Cousin S and I are the now proud owners of Donadea 50K medals.

Super dooper congrats to Anto and all at Donadea AC on a superb event; the support along the route was fantastic and was very much appreciated (especially on that last lap) and my legs are feeling good today thanks to the massage from Bernie after the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Peter Mooney Flicker

Looks like everyone enjoyed themselves and anyone running with the stews had a ball :)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Marthastew wrote: »
    Congrats to all who ran yesterday, it was great to catch up with so many boardsies before, during and after the race. Special thanks to Ferris B for putting up with my ramblings for the entire race, very best of luck in Conn Ultra.

Those 'ramblings' kept the 4:15 bus on track all the way round...until your sprint finish to haul us home early in 4:13. Super performance from you to take another podium place. Thanks also to Mr S for the drafting ( As a result I think he blocked me out of most of the photos doing his best Usain Farah impressions!!) and congrats to Cousin S for completing first ultra.

Think I'll be back for this one...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Good
    Will just echo the posts above, a really good well organised event. Special thanks for sorting out the weather as only got caught with one hail shower!

Day went ok for me, paced it a lot better than last year & improved by ~11 mins but more importantly finished without feeling like death on legs.

Nice to have met some of the same people from last year. Fantastic run by Claralara and of course the men's winner who was able to comment on my t-shirt as he effortlessly lapped me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Diesel

Good
    Some images from the day: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhshelley/sets/72157641153418785/
    Apologies for delay
    rgds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Good
    ger664 wrote: »
    Peter Mooney Flicker

Looks like everyone enjoyed themselves and anyone running with the stews had a ball :)

Impressive that Peter managed to take photos and secure a podium finish :)
    Diesel wrote: »
    Some images from the day: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhshelley/sets/72157641153418785/
    Apologies for delay
    rgds

Both sets of photos are fabulous, they really, really capture the day, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 3D2S

Good
    This race was without doubt best thing I've ever done! Slowed a lot in last 4 laps but still delighted with 5.29. Will be back next year. Camaraderie superb between all the runners and spectators. Thanks Anto for hanging on for us at the slower end of the scale:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Good
    Some photos in today's Fit magazine. BeepBeep and CL and possibly more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Good
    PaulieC wrote: »
    Some photos in today's Fit magazine. BeepBeep and CL and possibly more

That's me in the 'purple', although it is quite clearly screaming pink, not purple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Killerz wrote: »
    That's me in the 'purple', although it is quite clearly screaming pink, not purple.

You should get a free year's membership of Sisters Pearse for that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Few emails been asking wen is entry open for next year...entrys open at end of june for the 5th burthday of the race...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Good
    ultraman1 wrote: »
    Few emails been asking wen is entry open for next year...entrys open at end of june for the 5th burthday of the race...
    I hope Ill be back running in time for it! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Good
    How many places left in this??
    ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

belcarra wrote: »
    How many places left in this??
    ;-)
    Ders an extra one now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

Good
    Jimbob thinks he can enter again after his DNF this year.

7th reserve should be fair for the amount of laps he did

• Advertisement
Advertisement