Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dishpointer green line,what does it mean?

Options
  • 14-02-2011 9:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Just a quick question for any of you have experience of hooking up satalite dishes.........

Does the green line on the map on this website http://www.dishpointer.com/ indicate the location/angle of the satalite signal??

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Sorted now,green line does indeed indicate satalite signal location.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

excellent website - thanks for the link!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

paddy147 wrote: »
    Sorted now,green line does indeed indicate satalite signal location.:)

Yes the satellite at 28.2E means the satellite is in a geo-stationary orbit above the equator at 28.2 degrees east of the greenwich line on the equator. If you get a world map and mark that spot 28.2E on the equator, and draw a line from your house to that spot,the line will be as the green line on the link you put up.

Are you branching out from lighting to satellite setups now paddy:)

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Are you branching out from lighting to satellite setups now paddy:)

Yep.:p:D

Seriously though,no sky or NTL for me from now on,gowing down the free to air/freeview route now.I prefer to keep my money in my pocket these days and I am not really bothered with all these channels,that are just repeating what you ssee on tV earlier on in the day or the previous evening.Waste of money for me.

Going down the freeview route now and goingto get 3 set top boxes set up in the house.

1 for me,1 for herself and 1 for the daughter,so we can all watch the stuff we want to watch and not be killing each other over whats on TV.;)

Now a quick question for you here.

A chap in the leccy wholesalers recommended CT100 co ax over WF100 co ax.He reckoned that CT is better quality than the WF co ax.

CT 100 has the hollow core in it,and I heard that this is prone to leaking rain water into it from the LNB connection on the dish,so would WF100,being a solid internal core,be a better and more robust co ax to use??

I got a quote of 48 euro for 100 meter drum of the CT100 cable todat.

Is that good or bad??

Also,whats the cost for 100 meters of WF 100?

thanks.:)

• Advertisement

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Yes the satellite at 28.2E means the satellite is in a geo-stationary orbit above the equator at 28.2 degrees east of the greenwich line on the equator. If you get a world map and mark that spot 28.2E on the equator, and draw a line from your house to that spot,the line will be as the green line on the link you put up.

Thanks.

I put my address in and selected the Astra 2 satalite for what Im after (free to air/free view channels) and it gave me all the angles and the LNB angle and pitch too,then it showed me the green line as to the direction of my house/satalite dish to Astra 2 satalite signal.

Pretty good site indeed.:)

Seriously though,no sky or NTL for me from now on,gowing down the free to air/freeview route now.I prefer to keep my money in my pocket these days and I am not really bothered with all these channels,that are just repeating what you ssee on tV earlier on in the day or the previous evening.Waste of money for me.

Going down the freeview route now and goingto get 3 set top boxes set up in the house.

1 for me,1 for herself and 1 for the daughter,so we can all watch the stuff we want to watch and not be killing each other over whats on TV.;)

A chap in the leccy wholesalers recommended CT100 co ax over WF100 co ax.He reckoned that CT is better quality than the WF co ax.

CT 100 has the hollow core in it,and I heard that this is prone to leaking rain water into it from the LNB connection on the dish,so would WF100,being a solid internal core,be a better and more robust co ax to use??

Is that good or bad??

yea the co-ax with the sort of solid spunge/foam centre is better than the plastic hollow centre type. Im not sure about the price of it. That price does not seem overly expensive anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

Is that good or bad??

I bought a 100m roll of rg-6 cable for €10.57 ex-vat a few weeks back for use with a sky HD box and theres not a bother on it. HD signal perfect so the freeview would be grand. Its what i always use when people want sky boxes moved or the cables done better than ran down the front of the house, etc. On your average size house this is fine but on a bigger house with longer runs i would use the better stuff.

sparcocars wrote: »
    I bought a 100m roll of rg-6 cable for €10.57 ex-vat a few weeks back for use with a sky HD box and theres not a bother on it. HD signal perfect so the freeview would be grand. Its what i always use when people want sky boxes moved or the cables done better than ran down the front of the house, etc. On your average size house this is fine but on a bigger house with longer runs i would use the better stuff.

The sparks who wired my house,installed plenty of RG-6 cable around the house and he then sent most of it up to the attic for any future incomming sky or ntl connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

The sparks who wired my house,installed plenty of RG-6 cable around the house and he then sent most of it up to the attic for any future incomming sky or ntl connection.

Then these points would be fine to use. Just wire your dish back to the central point in your picture and your should be grand.

• Advertisement

sparcocars wrote: »
    Then these points would be fine to use. Just wire your dish back to the central point in your picture and your should be grand.

I would need 3 set top boxes in the house,so I presume that I would run at least 3 satalite cables from the dish and quad/4 way LNB back to the attic and then (like you said) split them out to where ever the set top boxs/TV locations are going to be in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I would need 3 set top boxes in the house,so I presume that I would run at least 3 satalite cables from the dish and quad/4 way LNB back to the attic and then (like you said) split them out to where ever the set top boxs/TV locations are going to be in the house
    Yes, assuming no sky box has the plus feature. For Sky+HD or Sky+ boxes, you will need 2 cables from the dish to that box. So you may need 6 in total and an octo lnb.

Advertisement