Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strange problem

Options
  • 14-02-2011 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I just got a htc desire that is sim unlocked, ive tested it with a Meteor and O2 sim and both work fine no problems at all, calls messages data the works. But when I put a 3 ireland sim in it displays a warning saying Limited service and doesnt receive any service at all. The 3 sim works perfectly when put back into an iphone.

Im hoping somebody can shed some light on this.

Cheers in advance!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Sounds like the sim is on its way out. I'd recommend a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Check in the network settings to make sure it's on dual mode, its possible the last user had it set to 2G only.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭gfog

the sim cards brand new, I cant find an option to switch between 2g and 3g, is there something different about three that would cause it not to work?

gfog wrote: »
    the sim cards brand new, I cant find an option to switch between 2g and 3g, is there something different about three that would cause it not to work?

The option should be in menu->settings->Wireless and networks->Mobile networks->Network mode. Make sure it's not set to GSM only.

But I don't think that would give you the error you're getting tbh. There is something different about 3, they only have 3G coverage so if the phone is set to GSM only you'd get no coverage. But you shouldn't get a limited service error, you'd just have no coverage.

A quick google throws up a few people suggesting dodgy sim cards, some people whose phones had been mistakenly reported stolen and some phones that were faulty. I still think a sim replacement might help and maybe call 3 to make sure they don't have your IMEI blacklisted. It's a 15 digit number that you can get by entering *#06# as if it was a phone number

Checked that its set to WCDMA.

Does the fact that its working perfectly on o2 and meteor not mean that the IMEI has not been blacklisted?

• Advertisement

If you ring 3 customer care they'll tell you if it's blacklisted. Its possible it is but it shouldn't work on any network if it is.
    If you found it try returning it to it's owner. If you bought it try and get your money back.

I bought it on ebay, Ill be ringing three first thing in the morning hopefully its not blacklisted or anything!

thanks for all you advice everyone

Rang three today and the phone isnt blacklisted, then went into a three store and they tried another 3 sim in the phone but it gave the same warning "limited service" with no reception. Yet it still works perfectly with o2 and meteor sims.

Any one have any ideas?

Rang three today and the phone isnt blacklisted, then went into a three store and they tried another 3 sim in the phone but it gave the same warning "limited service" with no reception. Yet it still works perfectly with o2 and meteor sims.

Any one have any ideas?

Did 3 say it was originally on there network? Could it be possible it was Vodafone and blacklisted by them?

You could try reloading android or updating it, failing that drop it in somewhere to get repaired under warranty.

It really sounds like it was blacklisted somewhere along the line, could be 3UK or Vodafone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It should be set to WCDMA+GSM mixed mode for any network in Ireland. Three uses fallback onto Vodafone GSM 2G.

Its set on that, its the first thing the guy in the shop checked, but still no luck.

cant understand it.

the three tech support said it wasnt blacklisted and that it was confirmed by it working on o2 and meteor, seemly if it is black listed it wouldnt work on any of them.

Ring around the networks and see have any of them it blacklisted. Most of them are open now.

Do you know what network it was originally on?

Failing that drop it in for repair straight away and be ready to raise an eBay dispute, have you contacted the seller?

gfog wrote: »
    and that it was confirmed by it working on o2 and meteor, seemly if it is black listed it wouldnt work on any of them.

Not necessarily. If it's blacklisted on one it's supposed to be blacklisted on all of them but it might not be, especially if 3 have blacklisted it by mistake. At this point I think that either the phone must be blacklisted on 3 or its faulty and if it was faulty I wouldn't expect it to work on every other network. It's possible but unlikely. Is it possible for you to try a few more three sims?

Ive now tried 3 three ie sims, my own, a colleagues, and one in the three shop. the same "limited service" error was displayed with all of them. im going to ring again in the morn and ask about it being black listed again the lady I was talking to this morn didnt seem to be sure.

once again thanks for you help, hopefully I can find an answer.

Havent contacted the seller yet, as Its obviously a strange one, with everything bar the three sim working.

Advertisement