Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping a dinghy safe out of season

• 14-02-2011 9:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭

The kids had their first taste of dinghy sailing last Summer and loved it. We're now considering buying an Optimist this Summer. If we join the local dinghy club, we should be able to store it there in season. It's out of season that I'm less sure about.

The only place we have to store it is the driveway, on the launching trolley. Are there devices on the market to act a deterrent to thieves, e.g. chain the dinghy to the trolley, but then how to secure the trolley something fixed.

Any advice, suggestions, best practice ?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

If you put the trolley on blocks and take off the wheels it will help as a deterrent, also if you have a concrete drive you could drill a small hole and fit one of these then pass a chain through the bow seat and trolly to the eye bolt keeping it tight so the boat can't be lifted up.
    That should keep if safe, nothing is full proof but if it looks like too much work for them they will just move on.
    _36997__153383__.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I don't know about your house set up, but what I will say is that Oppy's are really very light, and small, as you know. If you have any garden at all I would carry the thing around the back. You can store it standing up, around the back to save space, the trolley can still be tied onto it - think vertical!:) I

You could still use the eye bolts Fergal was suggesting and tie a rope either side of the Oppy To keep it tied to a wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Thanks for those replies.

The driveway is cobblelock, so drilling a hole may not be an option for me. The only way to the back garden is through the house, so that too may not work out.

It has prompted me to think some more about it, though. Maybe something like attaching a length of chain to cavity block and burying that a couple of feer in a flower bed to 'anchor' the chain and secure the dinghy off that ?

As fergal.b posted, it'll only ever be a deterrent.

Advertisement