Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to wear to interview.

Options
  • 14-02-2011 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

ive been offered an interview I was approached about a few weeks ago.

When I was on the phone to the person arranging it, they told me to come casual, as they know I have been there before (i did a contract with them a year ago with my current job) and it is a very casual office.

However, ive never heard this before? A casual interview is something new to me, ive always worn a suit to interviews in the past.

Should I still go in the suit or should i tone it down to a shirt and tie with slacks? or just a shirt and slacks? I doubt turning up in jeans and a geek tshirt is the right approach

has anyone else ever done this? or done an interview like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Normally I would say to wear a suit - but in this case they've specifically said to go casual. Slacks and shirt, or even decent jeans (not ripped or oddly tailored) and a shirt, should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

I think a slim-fit shirt, a pair of charcoal or otherwise trousers (not jeans), and the type of shoes you'd wear with a suit would make the best impression.

So keep it formal, but try to make it as casual as possible. Try to avoid looking like you wore a suit but just took off the tie and jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I would assume business casual.
    This would entail a pressed dress shirt and slacks
    You could get away with a nice sweater over the shirt
    Do not turn up in jeans !

Yeah, in retrospect, jeans weren't a great suggestion from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Eoin wrote: »
    Yeah, in retrospect, jeans weren't a great suggestion from me.

They may be ok - it all depends on the tone of the company, and the OP will know this.

In general, I'd try to dress slightly better than the interviewers will be dressed. Agree that this is often an unknown ... but not in this case.

• Advertisement

JustMary wrote: »
    They may be ok - it all depends on the tone of the company, and the OP will know this.

Yeah, because the OP had worked there was why I mentioned it. I'd still kick for touch though and dress that little bit smarter upon reflection.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi all, me again.
    ill begoing in on Fri, so plan is:

Shoes. My normal suit ones.
    Chords or some Chinos, dark, something dressy not unlike suit pants?
    Shirt.
    maybe a jumper. I have a good grey v-neck that i occasionally wear for going out to dinners.

The place is fairly laid back, when i was out there before it was the hot May or april of last year, and there were plenty of guys in shorts and tees. However, thats completly different to my situation!

I know this seems relativly small as an issue, but it actually has me quite worried as I dont want to get the tone wrong and get off to a bad start.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I would say go with a suit regardless. You can't really go wrong with a suit and I've had two interviews recently where casual dress was specified but on both occasions the interviewer was suited and booted. I would err on the side of caution and go with a suit. Better to be overdressed than underdressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Malice wrote: »
    I would say go with a suit regardless. You can't really go wrong with a suit and I've had two interviews recently where casual dress was specified but on both occasions the interviewer was suited and booted. I would err on the side of caution and go with a suit. Better to be overdressed than underdressed.

They said to dress casual.. so do it..
    Good shirt, shoes and trousers, Jeans are fine if they are presentable..

I've interviewed plenty in the past for technical/engineering positions and a suit doesn't impress, maybe for a higher position where it would be standard dress.. Unless the interview panel are fickle creatures they will be more interested in the candidate than the clothes..

I can't understand the "Wear a suit no matter what" idea... It's not a Suit of Armour and will look out of place if you are told to dress casual..

In this case I'd agree that there's no need for a suit, given that they've specifically said to wear casual - but I most definitely think a suit should be the default choice unless told otherwise.

• Advertisement

bbam wrote: »
    I can't understand the "Wear a suit no matter what" idea... It's not a Suit of Armour and will look out of place if you are told to dress casual..
    What's so hard to understand? A person gets offered an interview so rather than worrying about what to wear they just throw on their interview suit and away they go. Then there's none of this "will I wear chinos or cords" decision-making to be done.

As for it looking out of place, it's an interview. There's an expectation that the interviewee is going to look presentable. A suit can only help with that (assuming of course it's clean and the shirt is ironed and the shoes are polished etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Interview done. Went ok.

Clothingwise, even in my smart casual, I was by far the most overdressed person in the building. It was even mentioned to me, so if anything i would say i was over dressed.

As far as worrying about my experience and suitability for the position, thats always a worry, and im always going to be prepared.

this has been at the back of my mind and i was glad of the advice. Thanks all.

Hope it all works out well.

suitandtie wrote: »
    Interview done. Went ok.
    Good to hear that OP, as Eoin wrote, hope it all works out for you.

Advertisement