Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC in Cork

• 14-02-2011 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

It's been pretty crap lately, haven't been able to stream Youtube or any other online video for a few weeks - hosted files, however, can still reach 900kb/s+ - smells like throttling. They say you get what you pay for, but I pay for a 20 meg connection!

Anyone else around here finding the disparity between what you pay for and what you get this dramatic lately?

NJsfT.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭kk887

Pinging google.com [209.85.143.104] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 209.85.143.104: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=57
    Reply from 209.85.143.104: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=57
    Reply from 209.85.143.104: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=57
    Reply from 209.85.143.104: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 209.85.143.104:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 13ms, Maximum = 16ms, Average = 14ms

I am in Cork Douglas area using upc 20mb bb, very slow to the stream video like youtube and also some web site outside Europe(eg us and asia), but downloading speed is alright, I download the amd graphic driver from their site, got 2.X mb/s. average speed would be around 200kb-1mb/s for other downloading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

Been having similar streaming problems lately too. Very noticeable in MMOs and Streaming video/YouTube.
    I suspect its something on UPC's side, when I VPN out of UPCs network the problem is gone.

Xzen wrote: »
    VPN out of UPCs network the problem is gone.
    VPN out of UPCs network??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 F S

from reading the replies to various threads it seems that some people dont have a problem with sites such as fileserve and megavideo and are getting the full download speed and others such as myself are being throttled / slowed down.Is that right, is there anybody out there who gets full speed on there downloads?

So i'm wondering is this a policy upc applies to particular customers and if so how do you get them to give you back your full speed. I'm not a heavy downloader and would never use my full bandwidth allowance in a month.

some of the download speed is alright but the generally speed for viewing stream video , website and online gaming is unacceptable during day and rush time

• Advertisement

still very slow on the stream video and webpage so I am going to change the DNS to the google DNS, any more suggestion guys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

Hi im in co meath my download speed a joke 4mb over wired connection on 20mb connection took ten minutes to download a 17mb file that bad gona have to ring upc again tomorrow so much for fiber power broadband might as well be back on my 3mb eircom which would be faster.I hope the new government succeed with FFTH and FTT curb to 90% of homes i drop upc like a hot snot.

Advertisement