Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defoes lack of goals

Options
  • 14-02-2011 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Defoe lacking in goals since return from injury,need him to get a run of form if we are going to finish in champions league position again
    any comments!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

It's a worry okay,not only Defoe but all three of them seem to have hit bad form at the same time.We can only hope that they come out of it sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

I have a feeling once Defoe gets one a lot more will follow, surely he has to hit a vein of form soon. He has proved before he can be a consistent scorer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I'm not so sure he will hit a good scoring run soon lads. The way we now play does not suit him, ie 4411. He is more suited to playing with a strike partner, and we no longer play that way very often. His build and physique doesn't really suit the lone striker role, which could limit his appearences.

In saying that, I still hope he gets 10 between now and May and he fires us to the CL..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I honestly thought, when we signed VDV, that he and JD would thrive together. Unfortunately, Defoe got injured before getting that chance to start early together and has struggled to gain any form as of his return.

I hope that Defoe adapts to the 4-4-1-1 approach and starts to bang them in. Are we the only team in the top 6 not to have someone get a hat-trick yet this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Logically or statistically you'd expect that all of our strikers are due a run of goals. So while the lack of goals has been a concern, on a positive note with 12 games to go in the league they should all average a goal a game from now to the end of the season thus ensuring we score at least 3 goals in every game from now to May. yahoo :):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Perhaps I'm being unfair but I think Jermain has never really improved or changed his game. he seems to just do the same thing all the time. He is a better passer and he has become physically stronger but other than that I'm not so sure he's added all that much to his game.
    When he's on form he can be on fire, against the right opposition, providing it's not any of the bigger teams he's facing. Flat track bully?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭wellboys

I reckon he still has 20 goals a season in him.. He just needs that spark to get him going again.. Pav and Keane will probably be shipped out in the summer. Wouldnt mind us going for the young Ipswich striker, Conor Wickham.. He's only 17 but the boy can play!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

His lack of goals is amazing but he often goes down the wings to get the ball on the break making the opposition lose there shape and opens up the pitch to our midfielders who are scoring thank god

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

His lack of goals is amazing but he often goes down the wings to get the ball on the break making the opposition lose there shape and opens up the pitch to our midfielders who are scoring thank god

That's a very good point, and perhaps one of the reasons why our midfielders are scoring so much. Still, if he could just get a few goals before the end of the season because as it is he doesn't look like he's going to get any, and we really need goals from our strikers because our midfielders won't always be able to oblige.

Imagine Spurs with Tevez up front!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

SuprSi wrote: »
    That's a very good point, and perhaps one of the reasons why our midfielders are scoring so much. Still, if he could just get a few goals before the end of the season because as it is he doesn't look like he's going to get any, and we really need goals from our strikers because our midfielders won't always be able to oblige.

Imagine Spurs with Tevez up front!
    Ya we'd be unstoppable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

With Tevez or someone like him we'd have this year's league in the bag. What ifs and maybes.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spursman11

against Blackpool would be a good time to bang in a few and get us 3 very important points

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭alco.29

When he learns the offside rule im sure he will start scoring again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

spursman11 wrote: »
    against Blackpool would be a good time to bang in a few and get us 3 very important points
    Two much to hope for I'm afraid,he was hopeless tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

alco.29 wrote: »

So true, how many times offside tonight? very frustrating :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

brutally honest here.............

just not good enough. he is getting vast money to put the ball in the net. he isnt doing it. champions league strikers record this season? i dont think so

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

alco.29 wrote: »

He'll never learn how to play the offside rule, a bad buy

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭DamienKilmurray

keane=cock wrote: »
    brutally honest here.............

just not good enough. he is getting vast money to put the ball in the net. he isnt doing it. champions league strikers record this season? i dont think so

I agree totally, I think we need to bring in two top strikers to really compete as Defoe and Pavlyuchenko are just not good enough if Tottenham want to go challenging for league titles or champions league places each season. Unless they start to produce goals for us in the last part of the season (which I feel is very unlikely) we won`t be able to attract the top players because we`ll be playing Europa league next season and top players don`t want Europa league.

if Keane got as many chances as Defoe to play,he would surely be on 10 +goals

if Keane got as many chances as Defoe to play,he would surely be on 10 +goals

i would tghink so but harry was not prepared to give him a fair crack. to start keane on his own up top against utd is a joke and that was only one of his 2 starts i think? correct me if im wrong there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

keane=cock wrote: »
    i would tghink so but harry was not prepared to give him a fair crack. to start keane on his own up top against utd is a joke and that was only one of his 2 starts i think? correct me if im wrong there

Keane and Defoe were two very bad buys, if I were Levy I would have to question Harry's judgement on players

Keane probably his chance with Harry in Dec 2009 in Dublin ;),we need 10 goals from one of our strikers before end of season and our midfielders to keep chipping in

• Registered Users Posts: 12 deise_yid

Keane probably his chance with Harry in Dec 2009 in Dublin ;),we need 10 goals from one of our strikers before end of season and our midfielders to keep chipping in

I agree wholeheartedly spursman11. It can be done though! Believe! COYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Last season he scored 18 goals from 34 in the league. Thats more that one goal for every two games.

I don't believe you lose that kind of talent in one season. OK he's had injuries but something has changed. Could be something going in his personal life but possibly (I suspect) the change in our way of playing this season.

In particular, I would deem our growing use of wing play as the factor, which has seen JD's decline. He's really not a 'six yard box poacher'. He's more the 'through ball pass' running at the keeper type striker.

Nevertheless, zero goals from 39 shots in 13 league games is poor (brutal to be honest). Somethings not right, but I don't put it down to he's a 'spent force' at only 28yrs old.

Harry obviously still rates him, so maybe the training ground performances are very impressive.

The issue of not signing a striker in the last transfer window may come back to haunt us come 22nd May but personally I don't see that JD is any worse than say an inexperienced Andy Carroll at a cost of £35m.

He was unlucky not to score against Blackpool on Tuesday night and I hope/believe that all he needs is one goal to get him back in the groove.

RichMc70 wrote: »
    Last season he scored 18 goals from 34 in the league. Thats more that one goal for every two games.

I don't believe you lose that kind of talent in one season. OK he's had injuries but something has changed. Could be something going in his personal life but possibly (I suspect) the change in our way of playing this season.

In particular, I would deem our growing use of wing play as the factor, which has seen JD's decline. He's really not a 'six yard box poacher'. He's more the 'through ball pass' running at the keeper type striker.

Nevertheless, zero goals from 39 shots in 13 league games is poor (brutal to be honest). Somethings not right, but I don't put it down to he's a 'spent force' at only 28yrs old.

Harry obviously still rates him, so maybe the training ground performances are very impressive.

The issue of not signing a striker in the last transfer window may come back to haunt us come 22nd May but personally I don't see that JD is any worse than say an inexperienced Andy Carroll at a cost of £35m.

He was unlucky not to score against Blackpool on Tuesday night and I hope/believe that all he needs is one goal to get him back in the groove.

just on this. that sums it up for me. simply put, not good enough.

harry loves defoe and crouch cos they won him the fa cup. he needs to realise spurs playing champions league and challanging for 4th(or higher) is not a portsmoth team struggling in the league and winning a one off game in wembley.

should have started this a few weeks ago,he might have broken his duck earlier,hope we get thro wed.night,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Reading in the news this morning about how Defoe considered leaving in January and thought, jesus, that is disgraceful. He's probably in the worst form of his career at - by far - the best club of his career, and he wants to leave just because he's not starting every game?? That's pathetic. We need players to show loyalty and committment, especially seeing as we have always been a "selling" club, and sure where's he planning on going? Sell him tbh, I don't care if he bangs in 2 goals a game for the rest of the season...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

A lot of top quality players get stuck in a goal drought, it happens.

Defoe is now out of his drought - all this talk of how he is not the player he was etc. He is only 28! We're still doing great this year, 5th in the league (only 3 pts behind Chelsea) and still in the CL so I don't understand why everyone is jumping at the chance to give out about him.

As for talk of his thoughts of leaving in January, it is normal for any footballer to want to play 90 minutes in every game for the club so we cannot hold that against him. Sure, he is at the best club he has been at in his career, but he probably wants to be the star man that everyone loves, and not just a bit-part player.

Obviously he knew it was better to stay in the end, but talking about loyalty and commitment when talking about a footballer is ridiculous - Only a handful of footballers are 100% for one club: Maldini, Giggs, Scholes to name but a few - we are lucky to say we have one in Ledley King! It is very scarce to ever find a loyal player these days, most would jump at the chance for more money if a big offer comes in, no matter what they happen to say about "loving the club" beforehand. We've seen it firsthand before, Sol Campbell is my example here.

All we can do is be happy with what we've got, and in Defoe we have a player that other clubs would be jealous of. He is a good player in a good team, and I know we can do better but with our wage system, I don't think they'll come much better then what we've got!

Expectations are far too high among Spurs fans now, what happened to the lads who have been through all those horrible times when we were always a "nearly" team? We know what he can do. The monkey is off his back now, so let him do his job to try and keep us happy (although its never possible to keep everybody happy).

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭tomo75

I disagree about Defoe being a spent force. I do think he will come good. Saying he is in a rut is one thing but saying he is a spent force is another.

Torres hasn't scored for Cheski yet but he is a class player (ok, defoe is not in the same league as Torres) but Torres will comes good and when he does, people will be raving about him again.

If there was a player I would be more pissed with, it would be sulky Pav. He gets his starts but wanders around like a fart in a spacesuit.

If Defoe wasn't injured as much as he has been he would have ended his drought earlier and would be banging them in for fun by now.

• Advertisement

two brilliant goals. lets hope he keeps it up

Advertisement