Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JSA & Partner hopefully starting work...

• 15-02-2011 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all,

We have our fingers crossed that my partner will get a job offer this week. We are both on JSA, rent allowance, fuel allowance and have a 3 month old baby. We get the payments as half each instead of one getting it for the both of us. If my partner goes to work we are hoping some weeks if he does enough overtime his earnings may hit 500 a week (pre tax unfortunately) we haven't a clue what it will be after tax.
    Anyway he will be paid monthly and he won't get anything for the first month so we are wondering will I get any weekly money at all or will I be completely dependent on his wages from the day he starts work? Also is there any other benefits that we should look into? I have heard of family income supplement but to be honest reading up about that just confused me and same with wether I would get any personal JSA. I wonder is someone here in a similar situation so they could shed light on what we might actually get. Also will we still be able to keep our medical cards or at least our daughters one? I have no idea about any of this stuff! Some weeks his earnings may be around 390 if he gets the job. If anyone has answers it would be greatly appreciated. Once we know if he has the job obviously we will go into the SW office and will know all this anyway but it is annoying me waiting around.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Not too sure about the answers to your questions but if it is a serious job offer first thing to do is contact your local health centre and enquire about going onto the ras scheme, if you have been on rent allowance long enough you will get transferred so you dont lose all your rent allowance, you will just pay 10% of your income on the rent, its an initiative to get back to work.

They say you need to be on ra for 18mths but if you have been on a while then they will treat it as an emergency case, either your landlord can agree to transfer to ras or they will place you in a house that has already been cleared for ras.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 shubj

Thanks for your reply. What is ras? We definitely don't want to move house whatever happens!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

shubj wrote: »
    Hi all,

We have our fingers crossed that my partner will get a job offer this week. We are both on JSA, rent allowance, fuel allowance and have a 3 month old baby. We get the payments as half each instead of one getting it for the both of us. If my partner goes to work we are hoping some weeks if he does enough overtime his earnings may hit 500 a week (pre tax unfortunately) we haven't a clue what it will be after tax.
    Anyway he will be paid monthly and he won't get anything for the first month so we are wondering will I get any weekly money at all or will I be completely dependent on his wages from the day he starts work? Also is there any other benefits that we should look into? I have heard of family income supplement but to be honest reading up about that just confused me and same with wether I would get any personal JSA. I wonder is someone here in a similar situation so they could shed light on what we might actually get. Also will we still be able to keep our medical cards or at least our daughters one? I have no idea about any of this stuff! Some weeks his earnings may be around 390 if he gets the job. If anyone has answers it would be greatly appreciated. Once we know if he has the job obviously we will go into the SW office and will know all this anyway but it is annoying me waiting around.

Your means for your JSA will have to re-assessed , you will probably be asked for your partners first paycheck (as he will be paid monthly) to ascertain his earnings. If at that stage you are found to be means in excess your partner should apply for FIS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Your partner can apply for FIS anyway. As long as he will be working at least 19 hours a week he could qualify. Whatever income he has and you receive on JSA will all be considered however for FIS. You can download the form on www.welfare.ie.
    Advise your local office also - depending on how your payment is set up, you may need to make a claim if you are being paid as an adult dependent on your partner's claim.

Advertisement