Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any improvements I could make on this?

Options
  • 15-02-2011 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

Want to put together a gaming PC that will last a good while.

build.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Minor point, but I wouldn't bother with that thermal paste. Noctua, IC Diamond, OCZ Freeze, even AS5, are all better, and cost about the same.

I hope you're planning on adding a second drive. I doube 120GB is going to be enough for everything. (Then again, this is the guy with 6TB talking...) If you're looking into a drive I recommend Samsung Spinpoints.

PSU is overkill unless you're planning SLI in the future. 850W would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Thanks for the feedback, I've got a 2TB spinpoint just for Steam in my current system that I was thinking of using. if I'm not going to overclock would I be better off with another CPU?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

grizzly wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback, I've got a 2TB spinpoint just for Steam in my current system that I was thinking of using. if I'm not going to overclock would I be better off with another CPU?

That is a really good cpu especially for overclocking if you can afford it I wouldnt change it. The only thing I would change is get 8gb ram instead as it has dropped alot in price and is not much more now and good for future proofing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

That RAM is very expensive. Is it magical or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm genuinely intrigued to know what a 200 euro case does :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭heid

Get 1.5v ram instead.

If you buy a 2600K and don't overclock, I'll find where you live and smack you.

Seriously, OCing with those things is so easy it's not even funny. Change one setting in the BIOS - one for f**k sake - and you've got a 4.xGHz CPU. It's getting to the point where civilians are going to start calling themselves overclockers. *shudder*
    I'm genuinely intrigued to know what a 200 euro case does :)

Well now that's interesting... I missed that one.

@OP - I think you're getting ripped off there mate. My ATCS 840 cost less. ;)

Thanks for the RAM info – I wasn't sure which is the match for this mobo.
    Just to check - you are aware of the recall on the 1155 mobos - SATA probs !
    Yeah, I'd heard about the recall on the 1155 mobos. I thought they were replacing after the 14th (yesterday). I don't mind hanging on until they are swapped.

The case is pricey, but I liked the looks :o

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SmokeyTheBull

Some of your items are out of stock with a >7 day, and people on this board seemed to have a lot of problems if items are out of stock

• Advertisement

If you buy a 2600K and don't overclock, I'll find where you live and smack you.

*hides behind door* :) Does overclocking always mean adding fan/heatsink on the CPU?

Some of your items are out of stock with a >7 day, and people on this board seemed to have a lot of problems if items are out of stock

So the wait could really be 30 days?

*hides behind door* :) Does overclocking always mean adding fan/heatsink on the CPU?

Not always, but usually yeah.

Just had a quick google, and it looks like the FT02 does have a backplate hole, so installing a third party cooler would be a cakewalk. The only thing you do different with an aftermarket cooler is that you need what's called a backplate - basically just a plate of metal for extra support - that goes on the back of the motherboard. Cost/Gain, it's the best value purchase on your whole rig.

Thanks for all the help everyone, I'm going to hold off until Asus bring out a replacement mobo for the Sandy issue. Hopefully it should only be a few months.

Well since the update mobos are out I'll thinking of getting this now...

Mobo: ASUS P8P67 DELUXE Rev 3.0, Sockel 1155, ATX, DDR3
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 580, 1536MB DDR5
    SSD: OCZ SSD Vertex 2 120GB 8,9cm (3,5") (for boot, will use an F3 for storage).
    RAM: 8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9
    Case: Cooler Master HAF X, ATX
    power: Corsair AX850, 850 Watt

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Well since the update mobos are out I'll thinking of getting this now...

Mobo: ASUS P8P67 DELUXE Rev 3.0, Sockel 1155, ATX, DDR3
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 580, 1536MB DDR5
    SSD: OCZ SSD Vertex 2 120GB 8,9cm (3,5") (for boot, will use an F3 for storage).
    RAM: 8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9
    Case: Cooler Master HAF X, ATX
    power: Corsair AX850, 850 Watt

Any thoughts?

The Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB is faster than the OCZ Vertex 2 120GB and is not much that more expensive.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3812/the-ssd-diaries-crucials-realssd-c300

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

hope you don't plan using that usb3 box you get with your p8p67 deluxe as the HAF X oddly dosn't have any external 3.5" bays just 3.5" bays for the hotswapable HDD's I found this out while doing a build for a client once.
    Also Sink is right the C300 is actually the fastest Sata SSD on the market at the momment.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Carne

The OCZ Vertex 3 is due out soon and looking at reviews it's the fastest SSD ever and will work well with the sata 6gb ports on the deluxe mobo.

yes but so is the C400 which could be potentially faster than the Vertex 3 but we'll have to wait and see when there out

hope you don't plan using that usb3 box you get with your p8p67 deluxe as the HAF X oddly dosn't have any external 3.5" bays just 3.5" bays for the hotswapable HDD's I found this out while doing a build for a client once.
    Also Sink is right the C300 is actually the fastest Sata SSD on the market at the momment.

Sorry, but what does this do for me? I don't understand – with this case I don't get access to the USB3 port? or the ability to use drives via USB3 easily?

On the OCZ Vertex 3 – it sounds very impressive up to double that of the previous gen! Although I wonder how useful it will be in real terms. The jump from mechanical drive to SSD is huge. The savings on boot time etc might now be diminishing returns.

• Advertisement

i'm talking about the usb3 box you get with that mobo, it slots into your cases 3.5" bay to give you 2 front usb3 ports but i was mearly pointing out the hafx dosn't have a 3.5" external bay so you can't actually use it on it but you still get 2 usb3 ports on the back panel

Good to know, thanks. I'll probably not see the need for using more then one high speed port. I have a mac for looking after media/storage and am planing a this as a pure gaming PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Carne

On the OCZ Vertex 3 – it sounds very impressive up to double that of the previous gen! Although I wonder how useful it will be in real terms. The jump from mechanical drive to SSD is huge. The savings on boot time etc might now be diminishing returns.

In real world terms the Vertex 2 is already very fast and you probably wouldn't notice much of a speed increase unless you're transferring large files. Also I'm expecting the Vertex 3 to be very expensive.

same with the c400 =/
    thats why i'd suggest personally to opt ofr the c300 since it's the fastest out atm and is alot cheaper then the vertex 3 and c400 when they come out as crucial already dropped the price of the c300 in preperation for the release of the c400

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

There have been a spate of problems with Asus P8P67 boards, a new bios released today may help, but no news yet.

Search for P8P67 boot problems. I had the "boot for 3 or 4 seconds and then reboot again" issue, taking out the battery for 10 minutes and reducing the build to one stick of ram, cpu and a (basic) graphics got me into bios to adjust settings and then was able to continue build.

I have held Asus in high(ish) regard for some time, my P8P67 Pro has changed that opinion significantly. I would recommend going for MSI.

or how about a Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5-B3? thoughts on this?

good board so no complaints

Advertisement