Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What help can I get?

• 15-02-2011 1:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm a little clueless on all things benefits wise so any help or pointers greatly appreciated.

During the week my employer handed me a letter. It basically read, we can no longer employ you.

I have a two year old in creche, a mortgage with my partner (not married, sons mother) and other loans and bills adding up to over €1400 per month. I was earning €39,000 and just about survived (€350ish travel expenses though).

Is €188 p/w my next step? Even with a child?

Bank refused mortgage holiday.

Partner is on €24,000 approx.

Cheers, Darsar

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

You can apply for Jobseekers Benefit assuming you have the necessary contributions. Looking at your partners earnings it would appear that you will only get the personal rate and will not qualify for a reduced adult dependant rate or a child dependant rate. If you dont have the necessary contributions for JSB you can apply for Jobseekers Allowance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

I wad at the Welfare office today and got an appointment for next month. I got the yellow JSA form that is means testing my partners income.

I read in another boards thread that you get JSA if you don't have enough contributions to JSB. Surely on my wage I paid enough in my taxes since I've been working?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Depends how long you have been working? What were you doing in 2008 and 2009?
    Have a look at the FAQ thread for what you need to qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit.

Darsar,

Jobseekers allowance is means tested so your partners earnings will be taken as means. Did they tell you at the swo that you did not qualify for JSB?

cee_jay wrote: »
    Depends how long you have been working? What were you doing in 2008 and 2009?
    Have a look at the FAQ thread for what you need to qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit.

Worked on €31-33k from 05-07 and was in the UK 08-09 so possibly that hampers me. When I came back in 09 I was straight on welfare bit cannot remember if it was JSB or JSA but definitely did not have to produce partners payslips like I do this time.

• Advertisement

eastbono wrote: »
    Darsar,

Jobseekers allowance is means tested so your partners earnings will be taken as means. Did they tell you at the swo that you did not qualify for JSB?

No eastbono, she just typed in my PPSN and then said 'right so, its the Jobs Seekers allowance form we need'!

Didn't mention JSB OT stamps or anything if that kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Computer said no, sounds like. Jsb is based on contributions two years old. no less and I think no more. Which for you was the time in the uk. On the"bright side" you get jsb without means testing next year if you need it.

"To qualify for JB a person must have:
    At least 104 PRSI contributions paid since they started work."

Is 104 weeks since starting the job you just lost or working life in general? I didn't do 104 weeks in last job before having contract terminated but definitely have more than 104 since my first job 7 or so years ago..

EDIT:
    Should have refreshed

mawk wrote: »
    Computer said no, sounds like. Jsb is based on contributions two years old. no less and I think no more. Which for you was the time in the uk. On the"bright side" you get jsb without means testing next year if you need it.

In 09 when I came back home I got €204 and then €196 for a week or two after budget. My partners work and our mortgage and bills haven't changed so I am hopeful of the full amount. I am screwed otherwise.

Can I get fuel allowance? Any other allowances in my situation?
    I am worried sick here with the thoughts of €188. that's €752 four-weekly and with monthly bills of €1400 I'm crippled.

When in 2009 did you come home? Were you working in UK? When did you start working again here?
    You can transfer your contributions from UK to Ireland to help you qualify. You need 39 contributions in 2009 - either paid or credited - to qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit. If you were signing, you may or may not have gotten a credited contribution depending on your circumstances at the time. The contributions you paid in the UK in 2009 will also count towards this. You should ask your local office about this option.

If it is Jobseeker's Allowance, it is means tested, and your partner's income will be taken into account. Her income could mean you would be entitled to less than €188. However, she may be entitled to Family Income Supplement so should be entitled to this.

• Advertisement

darsar wrote: »
    Can I get fuel allowance?

No. You can only get fuel allowance on long term Jobseeker's Allowance, so once you have been claiming for 15 months.

cee_jay wrote: »
    When in 2009 did you come home? Were you working in UK? When did you start working again here?
    You can transfer your contributions from UK to Ireland to help you qualify. You need 39 contributions in 2009 - either paid or credited - to qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit. If you were signing, you may or may not have gotten a credited contribution depending on your circumstances at the time. The contributions you paid in the UK in 2009 will also count towards this. You should ask your local office about this option.

If it is Jobseeker's Allowance, it is means tested, and your partner's income will be taken into account. Her income could mean you would be entitled to less than €188. However, she may be entitled to Family Income Supplement so should be entitled to this.

With regard to transferring uk contributions to Ireland you have to had worked in Ireland after working in the UK. If a person has not worked in Ireland since they returned from the UK the UK contributions are not reckonable.

With regard to transferring uk contributions to Ireland you have to had worked in Ireland after working in the UK. If a person has not worked in Ireland since they returned from the UK the UK contributions are not reckonable.

From the first post, he is currently working, so he should be OK for that.

It's a tricky one. I left in ireland in Jan 2008 to work in UK. That company went bust in November 2009 so I returned and started working in Ireland again in Jan 2010.

I don't trust fully that the UK company did everything lawfully taxwise, hence their taxbill being one of the main reasons of ceasing trade so I guess transferring is out, and far too messy even if it was an option.

Like I said, I'd be very hopeful of the full amount as circumstances haven't changed since last time although I can't figure out why I wasn't means tested the last time.

So family income supplement is something I should ask about. Or is that up to he partner to do?

It's says on the info on FIS your family income must be below €506 with one child. Is this figure net of partners wage and inclusive of my dole payment?

darsar wrote: »
    It's a tricky one. I left in ireland in Jan 2008 to work in UK. That company went bust in November 2009 so I returned and started working in Ireland again in Jan 2010.

I don't trust fully that the UK company did everything lawfully taxwise, hence their taxbill being one of the main reasons of ceasing trade so I guess transferring is out, and far too messy even if it was an option.

Like I said, I'd be very hopeful of the full amount as circumstances haven't changed since last time although I can't figure out why I wasn't means tested the last time.

So family income supplement is something I should ask about. Or is that up to he partner to do?

Last time, you had contributions - if it was 2009 they would have looked at what you were doing in 2007.
    You don't have to do anything about transferring your contributions, just have your social welfare office fill out a form. You just need to supply your NI number, and your address, and your employers name and address/place of work.

FIS is inclusive of your partner's earnings and any social welfare. Have a look on www.welfare.ie for what they allow from earnings.

In order for you contributions from the uk to be transferred you have to fill out an E301 form which your sw office will supply to you... this will be sent off to Newcastle and will be returned to sw office... hopefully the company in the uk paid cons for you... have you p60s or p45 from uk company as this could be very important in view of the fact that it appears the company ceased trading... if you have these then copy them and get them sent off with the E301 form... in the meantime apply for Jobseekers allowance.

In order for you contributions from the uk to be transferred you have to fill out an E301 form which your sw office will supply to you... this will be sent off to Newcastle and will be returned to sw office... hopefully the company in the uk paid cons for you... have you p60s or p45 from uk company as this could be very important in view of the fact that it appears the company ceased trading... if you have these then copy them and get them sent off with the E301 form... in the meantime apply for Jobseekers allowance.

I'm not sure I got the forms(p45s and p60) all back after sending them to
    Newcastle for redundancy claims. I'll try dog them out. Thanks a mill

Advertisement