Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taking photos from high buildings in Dublin

• 15-02-2011 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Would be interested in taking some photos from tall buildings in Dublin, preferably along the quays. Does anyone know any spots where they would allow this? Would I be able to, for instance, take some photos from the top of the SIPTU building?

Also, please find attached a photo I took last week (unprocessed) for your C&C.

Thanks

dublin-bridge.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Don't they have an observation deck?

There is an observation deck but it is closed to the public. Apparently it is used for storage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Why do you hate straight horizons?

Whether you'll get permission or not would vary completely from building to building. All you can do is start asking. It would make things a lot easier if you knew someone who worked in one of those buildings, getting your foot in the door is always a better choice than cold calling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

The new convention center has some fantastic viewpoints, I'm not sure what the deal is with getting in there though, you could probably have a root through their website to find out. I was there during an event before Christmas and snapped these two, but I'm sure with a better camera/lens combination some awesome shots could be gotten :)

5252447290_e105300943_z.jpg

5255587152_c70a406f80_z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

During October you will get free access to the top of many public buildings in Dublin as part of Architects week. I took this photo last October from top of Liberty Hall.
    B6E40C2642634E7FBC6D338E825DDE91-0000315917-0001967373-00800L-9EC345433718465C954169F19DED4589.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

*eadaoin wrote: »
    The new convention center has some fantastic viewpoints, I'm not sure what the deal is with getting in there though, you could probably have a root through their website to find out. I was there during an event before Christmas and snapped these two, but I'm sure with a better camera/lens combination some awesome shots could be gotten :)

Are you saying yours aren't awesome?! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

Are you saying yours aren't awesome?! :pac:

Maybe I'm too harsh on my little 50mm, I just always feel I can do better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

*eadaoin wrote: »
    Maybe I'm too harsh on my little 50mm, I just always feel I can do better!

Welcome to the club!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭mattfinucane

Thanks for all the replies by the way. So does anyone have any C&C on my photo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Thanks for all the replies by the way. So does anyone have any C&C on my photo?

The wall you used to rest the camera on is very distracting. You're better off using a tripod and finding a clearer viewpoint. Or get one of those Gorrilapods. It's a bit crooked too, needs straightening up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

This is taken from on top of the abandoned building site that was to be the Nationwide Building i believe.

4347692662_9142b09258_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Not on the quays but you can walk in to most colleges and go up the stairs to the top corridors and take pics. There is a decent view of St. Patrick Cathedral from one side.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 toreadorx2001

Hi everyone,

Would be interested in taking some photos from tall buildings in Dublin, preferably along the quays. Does anyone know any spots where they would allow this? Would I be able to, for instance, take some photos from the top of the SIPTU building?

Also, please find attached a photo I took last week (unprocessed) for your C&C.

Thanks

dublin-bridge.jpg
    you could try Guinness's Store House but there is an entrance fee

Advertisement