Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Editable areas in Wordpress

Options
  • 15-02-2011 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Say I have a little section in the footer that I want my client to be able to edit in the Wordpress backend.

I *could* create a new post in a new category and place the contents of that post in the area that I want editable, but that seems messy.

Is there a dead easy way to do this?

I've looked around but I've a feeling I'm not getting the wording right. Editable area, client editable etc..

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

im...LOST wrote: »
    I *could* create a new post in a new category and place the contents of that post in the area that I want editable, but that seems messy.
    I think that this would be the easiest from a client point of view, and a permissions aspect too.

You could widget enable the footer and allow them put a text widget there, but modifying widgets requires more permission than an editor has.

The category option means that they use the same Add Post page that they will be used to. You can have it display the_content() instead of the_excerpt() and only display the first post in that category. As it would be a second loop, you will need to use rewind_posts().

You will need to modify your other loops to exclude this category.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Thanks, I can get that to work, just seemed like a bit of a weird way to do it.

Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Freemancon

A handy way of doing this might be to add a widget area to the footer....this way you have sidebar functionality in your footer.

Try this Link to a tutorial

This is only if your template doesn't include a footer section in the admin. The best way is to build your theme allowing for the footer link to appear in the admin tools and thus enabling editing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I was browsing WordPress forum at Stack Exchange (a great place to repost your question) and saw the get_pages() function mentioned.

It might be easier for the client to edit a "Footer" page than create a post in the "Footer" category.
    See the codex page for an example of how it could be used (I expect that you would use the 'include' parameter with the ID of the "Footer" page).

Advertisement