Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL student behaviour / Stop Charity Week

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sinaydk

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Wont work. Rag week is the best week of the year for many students, whether there's other events on or not, they will still want a full week of all out madness.

I agree with both of ye in a way, I know it would ruin the 'atmosphere' and the idea of having a whole week together, but I wouldnt scrap it without hearing if another college has tried and tested it first..

I think that the whole reason people are extra messy and destroy things etc during Charity Week is down to a mindset that just because its Charity Week, its okay to litter and vandalise etc etc. I wouldnt be surprised if people throw a bottle on the ground with the excuse that its Charity Week and that kind of thing is okay because everyone is doing it anyway...I think the root of the problem is with this idea that Charity Week is 'do whatever you want' Week, simply cause its the week to go crazy....what do you guys think? I just thought that if that concept is gotten rid of there wouldnt be so much negativity around it...

Not half as much damage (well from what I can see!) is done during Xmas Daze or Paddys day, and people still get legless and have fun etc...so why is Charity Week so messy? Im talking litter wise, not drunk wise!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The vast majority of the madness, I'd nearly go so far as to say all of it, happens off campus where nothing is organised by any official organisation. Even before the date was announced there were massive house parties planned. Look at end of exams as a prime example.

Cancelling is a very easy option, but it is not a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭brucechan

Its true that cancelling would propbably cause a big Facebook rebellion and a RAG week of sorts would take place. The on campus activities are well run and supervised, but its the off campus stuff that really needs to be addressed by UL, the SU and the Res Assoc. along with the Gardai and Co. Co. too (but the latter don't seem to give a crap anyway).
    Unfortunately, Charity doesn't REALLY come into it.

Canned is right, when you look at the amount raised per head its fairly futile. Most students don't see Charity", they see "Piss Up".

In all probablity the Week won't be cancelled. But maybe a different angle is needed. MAYBE a percentage should be given to the Res. Assoc. to as a gesture to replace street signs, get litter picked up or whatever. Don't know what that percentage would be, its only a suggestion. Perhaps also University classes should take on some project for charity, ie 1st Business fund raise for Milford Hospice, 2nd Engineering do something for Special Olympics etc etc. Make it a team bulding kind of thing. Students will still have their piss up, the Residents are given something en lieu of the hassle, and the Charity is emphasised in Charity Week.

Its not perfect, but would anyone go along with that kind of notion?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

brucechan wrote: »
    Perhaps also University classes should take on some project for charity, ie 1st Business fund raise for Milford Hospice, 2nd Engineering do something for Special Olympics etc etc. Make it a team bulding kind of thing. Students will still have their piss up, the Residents are given something en lieu of the hassle, and the Charity is emphasised in Charity Week.

Its not perfect, but would anyone go along with that kind of notion?

This idea was floated this year and a good portion of class reps training was given over to it but i think the lead in time (end of week 4, start of week 6) was too short to get anything serious going. I think this has great potential

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seen2Bgreen

Great idea. Needs a bit of thinking through but could become a model for other institutions, help change the "get pissed asap" mindset for students as well as keeping the locals onside. Should be investigated further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DR.Magoo

Right not a regular poster on here so don't flame me please, just want to give my account.

I was on Coop this year, but came down for a few days off as I had gig's and stuff to do over the week. This was the first year I can say I was actually "involved" in Charity week and I can actually say this was by far the most enjoyable one for me.

The atmosphere around the ULSU courtyard was unbelievable! Sure people enjoyed a few pints, thats only natural, but money was being raised which was brilliant to see, people throwing change into buckets while event were going on.

Fair enough I wasn't involved in a whole pile this year, but I hung around campus to see events etc. It's the likes of the students who are not getting involved which seem to put across a dull view of the week, those who are staying in there houses or estates drinking away the week, getting hammered and causing diturbance to neighbours. More emphasis, if possible should be made via advertising onlin by either Facebook or on noticeboards around campus that the Courtyard hould be the main hub of the week, rather than student staying at home drinking, come into the courtyard and enjoy what being put on offer for the week.

Just a suggestion for next year, raise 100e or 200e or whatever for charity by doing something yourself or organising your own event, hand it into the ULSU and get a golden ticket to all events for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭brucechan

Good idea Mr Magoo, but unfortunately I don't think it will happen. I wonder will the new Prez and the ULSU have any good ideas on how to make Charity Week better? Might come back for it....

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seen2Bgreen

I noticed how clean the area was during last week, then realised that most students were away. Definitely a trend here! I suppose the place will be left in sH1 T after exams. And sure who cares? "It's not my house", "I'll be away for the summer", "someone else will clean up my mess".
    I hope I'm wrong. But let's wait and see.

Advertisement