Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Androgyny advice?

• 15-02-2011 2:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey all! hope you guys are having a good day! I decided to post here because i saw a similar post and wanted to get some opinions for myself.

Do i look androgynous? Is there stuff i could work on. Are some some of my features to masculine? should i just stick with the image i have here. I don't really want to, thats why im posting, but i could get over it.
    Is there hair the only thing that makes me look feminine?

I have been mistaken for a woman more than a few times. But im afraid that may just be because they saw me from the back.

here are two recent pics taken for this purpose. and one when i have short hair.

Please, i would love some advice and opinions on how androgynous i am and if i can do subtle things to help.

Also, would i look good if i went all out band cross dressed with makeup? or just cross dressing a little more? :confused: :pac:

p1010068f.jpg

p1010136e.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

79480761.jpg

Am I Androgynous? 5 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    20% 1 vote
    a little, some work would help
    40% 2 votes
    sort of, but you would look good fully/partially cross dressed
    40% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

hmm...

first I just have to ask, what do you mean by androgyny here? a lack of obvious visual gender queues, or is it your intention to pass for female? because it sounds more like you might want to appear female?

if that's what you want, then I think there's a few things you can do. your features aren't too masculine at all, so don't worry about that. perhaps style your eyebrows a bit more? they don't look bad at all, but you could make them look a little more feminine. and you can get your ears pierced. you can see a bit of facial hair shadow on your upper lip, so you'll need some makeup to hide that at least. a few feminine accessories might work too, like barrettes, hairband, choker, those kinda things

and wax your arm hair
    or any other place where your body hair might show.

hope that helps ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

I think short hair suits you better to be honest. Long hair elongates your face a bit too much. If you want to stick with long hair I would try and push your parting a little more to the side.

I would thin out your eyebrows a little more and try and get a nice arch into them

Try wearing a brown mascara to accentuate the eyes and lashes without drawing too much attention to them

And body hair is always a gender cue so I would agree with the above poster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I'd kind of agree with pandoras twist that the way you have your hair does kinda elongate your face, but I wouldn't cut it short. the way you have it now, it sorta deemphasises your neckline which is what you'd need if you wanted to appear more feminine, because male and female necks can be quite different. I've seen it loads of times on transgender websites where some girls will show before and after pictures of themselves, and you can see them with very thick masculine necks before, then very slender feminine necks after hormone treatment. the upper body is very much shaped by your musculature, especially the neck/shoulders/back, so you want to hide that.

but you also might want to give your face a rounder appearance, so what would really work in your favour is bangs, something like this:

swept-bangs-style-com.jpg

it would definitely be a very feminine hairstyle, you could also get highlights, and that would really give you a much more feminine look.

if you don't want to cut it, then definitely push the parting more to the side as pandoras twist says

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dunos

Thank you for the advice guys!! I really appreciate it!!:):)
    especially talking about whats masculine and how to hide it. Also, changing the hair part, getting bangs and providing a picture is very helpful.

Id agree with the fringe and maybe blowdrying your hair a little straighter (rather than attacking it with straightners) to have a more finished look.

You're lucky enough to have natural cheekbones so I would define them a bit more with a bronzer or a blusher

Good luck with it

• Advertisement

Thanks Pandora!:)
    Oh and if it's easy for you guys, I would love more pictures to better help me see what you're talking about. Again, only if it's not a bother for you. You two have helped me a lot already. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I'm not sure I would mistake you for a woman, even from the back:) I actually think you are quite a handsome man and should embrace that. I especially like the picture of you with short hair. You have excellent bone structure, and the type of skin I would love! Would you consider male modeling? I think that you have "the look" for that. Sorry for going off topic, but same as Links, I'm wondering do you actually want to appear female or just leave people wondering!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

lindtee wrote: »
    I actually think you are quite a handsome man

I have to agree! Gorgeous eyes!

I'm thinking the same as lindtee, is androgyny you're after, or going the full way to cross-dressing? Brian Molko from Placebo had androgyny down back in the day. Definitely still a guy, but accentuated his more feminine features.

Short hair, but with bangs on the side to soften the face, and tidy eye brows. Sometimes he wore lipgloss or eyeliner, again not in an obvious way, just to enhance features.

Brian+Molko.jpg

brian_molko.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Twee. wrote: »

Brian+Molko.jpg

brian_molko.jpg

<3 him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

It seems to be the hair that screams male. Get a side fringe maybe? The centre parting - its not working for you. Blow dry it straighter, get a shape cut into it, invest in a straightner.

There is also no shape on your eyebrow, and you might want to look into having a facial or even start taking care of your skin. I'm not saying you have bad skin - far from it - but its typical man skin. I could tell by your forehead, before rest of pic loaded, that you were male.

Anyway -

I think the short haired pic is adorable.

• Advertisement

Brian Moloko covers it in a nutshell tbh.

Google androgyny images and you will get some ideas like the one below

stock-photo-androgynous-men-22019107.jpg

http://men-haircuts.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/2007-men-brunette.jpg

For the eyebrows I would recommend going in somewhere to get them done, and then just plucking the stray hairs as needed. It should be less than 20 quid I would say.

Bring in a few photos to show them what you're looking for.

wow. you guys are AWESOME. :):):) I can't tell you how much i appreciate the input.

well i guess what i was originally wondering about is if I am androgynous naturally? or at all? idk. And how to better work with that. or if i would look good at all cross-dressing?

but not being androgynous if fine, and I appreciate all other appearance-related advice. Which i need a lot of!:p

Such as: How do I take better care of my skin(tips please on this)? How do you blow dry your hair straight!? Move hair part how far? what shape should i cut my hair into exactly? clueless when it comes to these
    thanks! xoxo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

For your skin - A basic skin care routine suited to your skin type.

Cleanse and Tone night and morning, and make sure you use an SPF with your day moisturiser.
    Depending on your skin type - exfoliate once/twice a week.
    Drink enough water.

Make sure you get skin products to suit your skin type - otherwise you can do more harm than good.

I blowdry my hair straight using a good hairdryer with that <| shaped nozzle on it and a round brush.

Im not entirely sure what side parting, but even if you got a funky cut, or got layers chopped in.

you have amazing eyes though, for real.

Very few people, if any, look naturally androgynous. They usually use makeup and other means of disguising or reducing the gender cues.

At the moment I wouldn't say you look particularly androgynous, but you dont have any overbearing features, so I would say you would be able to pull it off with the help of the things mentioned in the thread.

In terms of the side parting, I would put the parting in line with the tip of your eyebrow, and from the look of the way your hair is falling in both pictures, I would put it so that it parts on your left.

Advertisement