Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd year visa criteria changing as a result of the flooding?

Options
  • 15-02-2011 7:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭

Can be quite hard to figure out fact from fiction amongst the mad number of rumours you hear and the gov site doesn't seem to get specific to my exact question quite enough so thought I'd ask here.

Keep hearing that due to the floods they've changed the work types allowed to include all construction work across the QLD area, so if I was to go to Brisbane for 3 months working as basic unskilled labour would that be sufficient to get me my 2nd year visa?

Sounds a vast improvement to spending 3 months working on a farm would be on pretty much doulbe the cash I'd get on a farm and I'd think there'd be plenty of work around right now?

Cheers for any help on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Honestly, you're better off trying to contact them directly, they're pretty easy to deal with and it'll be a lot better than some of the uninformed answers you may get here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Yeah will be calling them myself to confirm just wanted some idea from people who'd looked into it, had visions of trying to make a similar call in Ireland and the 45 minute wait only to be transfered to someone else a few times..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I'm fairly sure thats for 457's not 417's

The 457 was never regionaly specific, and there has been no update of the region rules for the 417.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nick Diamond

Eoghan_2 wrote: »
    Yeah will be calling them myself to confirm just wanted some idea from people who'd looked into it, had visions of trying to make a similar call in Ireland and the 45 minute wait only to be transfered to someone else a few times..

Still better than wasting your time in brisbane and getting the boot, really shoulda been the first option..

Don't the DIAC have an email address too, pretty sure i had to contact them and did so via email to avoid having to be waffled at. If you didn't wanna call them look into that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

If its true it would be listed on the Immigration website.

Personnally I think its Pub talk.

• Advertisement

NO NO NO Zambia

ther thing is that there Has been an anouncement made recently by the Government, It will now be much easier for Builders in the Affected regions of QLD to Sponsor immigrants (457)

If you work out there in a Working Holiday Visa (417) only certain areas are eligible for the 88 Days, this list has NOT Changed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

NO NO NO Zambia

ther thing is that there Has been an anouncement made recently by the Government, It will now be much easier for Builders in the Affected regions of QLD to Sponsor immigrants (457)

If you work out there in a Working Holiday Visa (417) only certain areas are eligible for the 88 Days, this list has NOT Changed

Thank you my learned friend.

I did actually mean the WHV... Queenlands in trouble we need more backpackers!!!!

I think not...but hey stranger things have happened:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Specified work in disaster affected areas

Construction work can be vital in helping regional disaster zones, such as those affected by flood or bushfire, to rebuild and recover from disaster.

Working Holiday visa holders who conduct construction work in eligible regional areas of Australia following disasters can count the work as specified work. This work may be paid or unpaid work.

Examples of construction work that qualify as specified work include:

demolition of buildings, trench digging, land clearing and earth moving
    residential and non-residential construction or renovation/repair, including of roads, footpaths, bridges, parking lots, fencing, railways, dams, irrigation systems, sewage and storm water drainage systems.
    A full list of eligible construction activities is available from the Australia Bureau of Statistics website.
    See: Division E – Construction

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/specified-work.htm

Regional Australia Postcode List

The table below lists all postcodes classified as part of regional Australia for specified work.

To meet the three month specified work requirement for a second Working Holiday visa, work must be completed in an area whose postcode is included in the list.

Specified work completed in areas that do not fit within the definition of regional Australia cannot be counted towards the requirement.

Specified work must actually be done within an eligible regional Australia postcode area. Work that is completed in a non-eligible postcode area for an employer, whose office or post office box is in a regional Australia postcode area, does not meet the requirement.

Note: Not all postcodes in the Hunter Valley fit within the definition of regional Australia.

Queensland

4124 to 4125
    4270 to 4272
    4307 to 4499
    4515 to 4519
    4522 to 4899
    Note: Excludes the Greater Brisbane area and the Gold Coast

Reconstruction is ok as long as its in the above postcode

The reconstruction work will speed up 457 processing but it's not a free ticket, you still need a sponsor and just because there is a lot of work to be done doesn't mean that employers are any more willing or eligible to sponsor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Just back from NZ and read in the paper that there could be work opportunities for trades in Christchurch one of the days once they get stuck into cleaning up the city.
    It could also mean shortages elsewhere in NZ as people go to Christchurch...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

I got told by a few people if u work in Adelaide for the 88days, doesn't have to be fruit picking / farm work you can still qualify for your year 2 visa as its still classed as Regional Australia. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm fairly sure that SA and the NT are treated as Entirely rural, including Adelaide and Darwin, however Check to make sure that the job you are doing is on the List, factory or Bar work dosent qualify, my advice would be to find the list, read it, see how many of the jobs on it are something you can do.

Rebel Boy wrote: »
    I got told by a few people if u work in Adelaide for the 88days, doesn't have to be fruit picking / farm work you can still qualify for your year 2 visa as its still classed as Regional Australia. Can anyone confirm this?

Definition of specified work

Specified work is any type of work described in the list below:

plant and animal cultivation
    cultivating or propagating plants, fungi or their products or parts
    general maintenance crop work
    harvesting and/or packing fruit and vegetable crops
    immediate processing of animal products including shearing, butchery in an abattoir, packing and tanning

Note: Secondary processing of animal products, such as small goods processing and retail butchery is not eligible

immediate processing of plant products
    maintaining animals for the purpose of selling them or their bodily produce, including natural increase
    manufacturing dairy produce from raw material
    pruning and trimming vines and trees.
    fishing and pearling
    conducting operations relating directly to taking or catching fish and other aquatic species
    conducting operations relating directly to taking or culturing pearls or pearl shell.
    tree farming and felling
    felling trees in a plantation or forest
    planting or tending trees in a plantation or forest that are intended to be felled
    transporting trees or parts of trees that were felled in a plantation or forest to the place where they are first to be milled or processed or from which they are to be transported to the place where they are to be milled or processed.

mining
    coal mining
    oil and gas extraction
    metal ore mining
    non-metallic mineral mining and quarrying
    exploration and other mining support services not including secondary activities such as book-keeping, catering and transport.
    construction
    building construction
    heavy and civil engineering construction

construction services including metal wall cladding fixing to buildings, petrol bowser installation, sand blasting or steam cleaning of building exteriors, scaffolding construction, waterproofing of building.

Work undertaken in the areas of plant and animal cultivation, fishing and pearling, and tree farming and felling must be described in the list above to meet the specified work requirement.

The Australian New Zealand Standard Industrial Classification (ANZSIC) provides further detail about eligible work in mining and construction. Work undertaken in the mining and construction sectors must appear in the ANZSIC division for these sectors to meet the specified work requirement.
    See:
    ANZSIC - Mining Division
    ANZSIC - Construction Division

Supporting work, such as book-keeping, in any industry described in the list above does not meet the definition of specified work.

Specified work:

does not need to be paid work
    Example: Work undertaken as a volunteer or through the Willing Workers on Organic Farms (WWOOF) scheme may qualify if the work falls within the specified work definition listed above.
    does not need to be undertaken as a direct employee
    Example: Work undertaken as a contractor is eligible if it falls within the specified work definition listed above.
    must be described in the list above
    Examples of eligible specified work:

picking fruits on a farm or orchard
    feeding and herding cattle which are kept for commercial purposes
    constructing a house
    extracting ore on a mine site.

Examples of ineligible specified work:

working at a cellar door providing wine tastings
    undertaking an archaeological survey
    working as a caterer or cook on a mine site
    working as an architect or town planner
    working as a cook or cleaner while volunteering through the WWOOF scheme
    helping to construct ships or boats.

South Australia
    All of South Australia is classified as part of regional Australia.

Tasmania
    All of Tasmania is classified as part of regional Australia.

Northern Territory
    All of Northern Territory is classified as part of regional Australia.

Ah Here Mandrake, I thought we wuz gonna enforce a gineral policy of not doing all the work for em :D:D:D:D

Aksherly jus lookin at that List, I'm gonna have a Few of them jobs available in the next week or two, Speciially for anyone that dont mind livin in the outback and has a B-Double licence

Ah Here Mandrake, I thought we wuz gonna enforce a gineral policy of not doing all the work for em :D:D:D:D

Yeah I know but with the amount of Rumours & Pub talk going around it's best to spell out the truth.

Some muppet will probably still post some 1/2 truth anyway.

Advertisement