Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil, Air, Fuel Filters. OEM or Spurious?

• 15-02-2011 7:55am
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm doing a service shortly on the avensis. 190k miles '04 D4D. Buying the lot from toyota isn't a bank breaker, but pricier then I though. Think it was about 85 plus vat. I'd say half that from a motor factor.

What do you think? Should I maybe get the fuel and oil filter from toyota, and spurious for the air and cabin filter.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

I usually get an oil filter from the dealer and everything else from the motor factors.

No real reason for it I just feel happier with a genuine oil filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I use good quality spurious most of the time never had a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭billbond4

Get a quote from the dealer for the parts and then get a quote from a motor factors.
    For My Honda Accord, it was only 18 or 20e in the difference, and for that your getting something thats designed exactly for your car.
    I think its worth it, unless the price difference it vast.

I always had it in my head that parts from a motor factors was a lot cheaper than from a dealer, got two wipers for the misses VW golf in VW garage 18e.
    I paid around 25e for generic wipers that didnt clean the windscreen as well as the VW ones.

A phone call to check prices is always worth it !! Thats just my experiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

I only did a service on an Avensis recently and the Oil Filter was "Union Japan" and the Filter was a "Foster Filter" cost me €11 for both from Motorfactors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Some Jap oil filters have a valve inside them, and if the Avensis is like this then I'd plump for genuine.

Same for the diesel filter if it has an internal heater and / or water sensor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I do big miles and there's probably only about 40-50 in the difference. I'll get the oil and fuel filter from toyota. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

MarkR wrote: »
    I do big miles and there's probably only about 40-50 in the difference. I'll get the oil and fuel filter from toyota. Thanks
    Get the fuel filter too. Some of them oil filters are a solid filter or a paper filter. If its a paper filter it sometimes is extremely/impossible to loosen the filter. I had to run over to Toyota one day to get a lend of a special tool to get it off. Its similar to the VAG tool used for the TDI engines except a bit smaller.
    The car I was working on was a 08 model so maybe your filter is the solid one which is handy to remove. hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

If you are buying good quality aftermarket parts then you will never have an issue. They will be the exact same spec as the dealer ones. In over ten years in this game I've only ever seen one faulty spurious oil filter and it was some obscure brand.

You all have to remember that Toyota, Nissan, VW etc just assemble cars, they get their filters, plugs and the vast majority of parts made for them by other companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I've been using Bosch parts from www.eurocarparts.com for the last few years on my Audi and have had no problems. I always use the recommended Castrol Long Life oil, but everything else is spurious and much cheaper.

OEM stuff is a rip off. Audi don't make filters and it's probable that the good OEM stuff is rebranded and sold as an Audi part at over twice the price.

Shipping is a bit steep, about £18. Useful if making a bigger order I suppose!

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Genuine Oil filter and spurious everything else here.

Then again my Hyundai uses Ngk plugs--the difference in plugs between main dealer and local factors is around 20 quid dearer for a set just because it has Hyundai wrote on the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Shipping is a bit steep, about £18. Useful if making a bigger order I suppose!

Thanks

It is a bit steep, you'd want to be buying a bit of gear to make it worth your while. However, they have a place in Belfast off the Boucher Road if you're up that way. That's normally where I buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

If you are buying good quality aftermarket parts then you will never have an issue. They will be the exact same spec as the dealer ones. In over ten years in this game I've only ever seen one faulty spurious oil filter and it was some obscure brand.

You all have to remember that Toyota, Nissan, VW etc just assemble cars, they get their filters, plugs and the vast majority of parts made for them by other companies.

This.

Bosch, Nippon, Fram, Knecht, Mann, Wix all do the same job for a fraction of the price. Anyone who buys a genuine cabin filter or air filter needs there head read IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭broro22

Slidey wrote: »
    This.

Bosch, Nippon, Fram, Knecht, Mann, Wix all do the same job for a fraction of the price. Anyone who buys a genuine cabin filter or air filter needs there head read IMO.

id like to add hengst(merc oem) and purflux(toyota citroen peugot renault oem) to the list. the main dealers filters come from the same factories in different boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Slidey wrote: »
    Anyone who buys a genuine cabin filter or air filter needs there head read IMO.
    But if you can get them cheaper off a dealer than in the motorfactors would you not??

I recently got an oil,air,diesel and pollen filter plus 5L genuine vw oil of a dealer in the north delivered to my door fo 60 euro. Filters in the local motorfactors were just 60 euro not including the oil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Genuine Oil filter and spurious everything else here.

Then again my Hyundai uses Ngk plugs--the difference in plugs between main dealer and local factors is around 20 quid dearer for a set just because it has Hyundai wrote on the box.

Just make sure the gap is correct on them. Ill give you an example, its a known fact that Ford Focus's coilpacks are a "problem" in that they go. One of the main reasons for this is that people used spurious plugs (often the same as the dealer ones rebranded like you say) without the correct gap.
    sean1141 wrote: »
    But if you can get them cheaper off a dealer than in the motorfactors would you not??

I recently got an oil,air,diesel and pollen filter plus 5L genuine vw oil of a dealer in the north delivered to my door fo 60 euro. Filters in the local motorfactors were just 60 euro not including the oil

I think the poster ment, theres no reason why you should pay for dealer ones over equal or approved motorfactors. The main reason is cost. If you can get them at a dealers cheaper then by all means go for it.

I checked out the prices of the motor factors vs toyota

Oil Filter
    Toyota 18.42 (Maybe next time)
    Motor Factor 9.5

Air Filter
    Toyota 24.15 (You have to be kidding me)
    Motor Factor 7

Fuel Filter (Huge difference)
    Toyota 36.07
    Motor Factor 7.5

Cabin Filter
    Toyota 25.74 (You can't be serious)
    Motor Factor 13
    104.3988 37

Motor factor brands were union for the oil filter, and blueprint for the rest.
    Fuel filter was obviously the biggest difference.

I could have bought parts from cranley cars (toyota dealership) and gotten a 5% online discount, but shipping would have wiped that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Nothing unusual about the above. And with the likes of union and blueprint you will never have an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭buckshotbrolan

What do you think? Should I maybe get the fuel and oil filter from toyota, and spurious for the air and cabin filter.

Don't get the oil from Toyota. Buy some Castrol Magnatec it will protect your motor and make it run sweeter.

Advertisement