Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hire out (zoom) lens?

• 15-02-2011 9:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

ie try before you buy would be nice.

Anyone know of a place that does this in Co. Cork? Im on a mission to get a zoom lens this year as I've cracked up so many times losing a shot because I got too close as my lens cant cope with the distance:(

I know theyre expensive, and I still have a lot to learn but I think this will give me the push I need to get out more.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

all depends on how much of a relationship you have with your local photo shop.

in the past I've borrowed lenses before deciding to buy or not - from McSweeneys (Cork City Center - Marlboro street - I think) , Denis was such a great guy (RIP).

Since I've moved to Dublin - if I deal with the right people in one or two shops that I use here I can borrow lenses without the need for a deposit.

in saying that ....I've been in shops where I've just spent €10K on gear and they wont even give you something for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Technically you're looking for a telephoto lens. Zoom refers to a lense with variable focal length.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

mumof2 wrote: »
    ie try before you buy would be nice.

Anyone know of a place that does this in Co. Cork? Im on a mission to get a zoom lens this year as I've cracked up so many times losing a shot because I got too close as my lens cant cope with the distance:(

I know theyre expensive, and I still have a lot to learn but I think this will give me the push I need to get out more.

Thank you.

Try McSweeneys in Cork. They are usually quite helpful. They have a good
    range of used lenses and they are willing to haggle over prices.

Local camera club members or fellow boards members might be willing to
    let you take a few shots with their lenses.

I think you have a Canon 450D. Have you any particular lens in mind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Zillah wrote: »
    Technically you're looking for a telephoto lens. Zoom refers to a lense with variable focal length.

Actually, technically she's looking for a lens with a long focal length. Telephoto refers to a lens with a telephoto group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Zillah wrote: »

I stand corrected, thank you. I knew that already but having said that, havnt done much in photography lately, and having forgotton basic terminology, shows it too!!:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Im thinking this one http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/91669/art/canon/ef-100-400mm-f-4-5-5-6l-i.html

I like this one too tho, as Ive tried somebodys macro lens in Dublin zoo one day, nearly getting heart failure when the head of the ostrich was in the viewfinder, and could see the individual hairs on his head!!!!!
    it wasnt this lens, but have to start somewhere......http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3678194/art/canon/ef-100mm-f-2-8l-macro-is.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

If you're going to buy that lens try buying it from here: http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=611

You might read bad reviews about them, but I've used them many times and the only problem is they are slow at despatching. I think item has to be shipped from Hong Kong to UK first - that can take about a week. Once in the UK it is then shipped to Ireland - so it is coming from within EU

Advertisement