Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Hospitals treat Psoriasis?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Ronan, the light therapy is a bit of a pain because you have to attend twice a week (for the sake of only a few minutes exposure), but it is so well worth it.
    I did the UVBs a few years ago without medication, but this time I have medication to make me photosensitive before the exposure, and it's exposure to UVAs. It's simple, and efficient, but I have to wear sunglasses all day on photosensitive/treatment days (I hate sunglasses, normally never wear them it drives me mad :)), even inside, because fluorescent lights also emit UVAs. I also have to moisturise an awful lot, it helps in achieving better results. When you have psoriasis all over that moisturising routine is such a pain in the backside.

Catch me if you can, that's an awful experience, shame on them. I'm in a very public job, and with my hands, arms and ears normally covered, there's no escaping people noticing, so really like you I just get to a stage where I just don't care. You'd be surprised though at the number of people whose sister or mother, or father get it on their elbow, or ankle, so yes they might look, but a lot of them would probably have an idea what it is.
    But yes, an awful pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 JonathanAd

ronan45 wrote: »
    Hmm i Heard that also but I dont think Public Hospitals recommend it as its £££££££
    Yes, it is and there are many side effects of using it and patient who are being treated by this are at serious risk of developing infections due to which they may need to hospitalized.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 spanner101

As JonathanAd says there are a number of things to keep in mind if you do go for the Humira.

Full health check up done before starting which include;

Liver Scan
    Chest X ray
    Full blood test
    TB test

All this is to ensure there are ni underlying conditions that could ause a probelm. The Humira surpress the Imune system slightly (over active imune system is a big cause of Psoriasia) to allow everything to get back to normal.

I have been on it nearly two years, and reducing down the doasge every month. BUT I do have a blood test every three months & scans every six months which include meeting with the Doctor.
    In saying all that it might suit all, just my experience... One thing on the Methotrexate, this was a big problem for me as it did have an effect on my liver (all of which have cleared).

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

FWIW I was a chronic psoriasis sufferer from the time I was about 6 til my early thirties, and went through every available (at the time) course of treatment. A short course of acupuncture cured it completely within a fortnight, and it's never been back.

I would normally be a complete sceptic about non-conventional medical methods, but there was no arguing with this. I do remember that the first couple of sessions produced a mildly euphoric feeling, but my skin began clearing almost immediately. Very strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

ronan45 wrote: »
    Hmm i Heard that also but I dont think Public Hospitals recommend it as its £££££££

Not true.

I am attending a public consultant in St Vincents Hospital and I have been prescribed Simponi which is another brand of the same type of medication as Humira.

The annual cost is thousands, but I only pay the 120 a month.

It is not suitable for everyone, as has been mentioned by other posters and will only be prescribed by a consultant, you cant ask your GP for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

The OPs post saddens me, but there are loads of people out there like you who are suffering from psoriasis and are not getting proper treatment.

If your Psoriasis is bad or if you have any suspicion that you are beginning to suffer from psoriatic arthritis, you need to insist that your GP refer you to a consultant. I am lucky that I live in Dublin and close to St. Vincents hospital where there is a very good department.

My advice to all psoriasis suffers is two fold

- See a consultant and talk about all the treatment options

- Lose weight, eat healthily, exercise lots.

Here is my experience.

1) A good consultant will never prescribe steroids. Psoriasis is a lifelong condition and steroids just mask it temporarily and ultimately ruin your skin

2) The treatment options pnce you are attending a consultant are

- UV treatment. UV Treatment is very good, but unconvenient. I had to attend for 20 minutes, 2 times a week for 10 weeks. The effect lasts for a year or two, maybe more for some people. You can only have UV treatment 10 times in your life because of the risk of skin cancer.

- Anthrolin. Again very effective, but inconvenient. I had this is the old skin hospital in Hume St years ago. 5 times a week, for 1 hour for 4 weeks.
    It's a cream that is applied, which is dangerous to smooth skin, so is only applied by a nurse in hospital.

- Methotrexate. A drug which is taken once a week long term.
    It is effective, but has side effects. It can give you a sick stomach, and it affects some peoples livers. You have to have blood tests for liver function and are advised to drink very little alcohol.

- Biologics ( Simponi, humira). Injections. Only prescribed in very bad cases, or in the case of arthritis. They suppress the immune system, so you are more at risk of getting sick. The best way to avoid this is to live a healthy life.

Advertisement