Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 year old Accident at School

Options
  • 15-02-2011 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi all,

Anything simialar happy simialar age?

My 7 year old had a accident in the classroom yesterday! soaked through so much the school had to change all underwear and give her another uniform! I asked her what happened and she says it came to quick....Just looking for some advice as to what could cause this and its a one off so its not like bullying or anything....she was quite hard to train and just trained at night now and also i would often check underwear at night and there would be dampness and a slight stale smell (sorry TMI) as if she gets off toilet too quick or someting. I just wanna know am i alone in this and is there anything i can do to get her to go as soon as she feels it coming on:)

Thanks for taking the time.

xx

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Is there anything at all going on in her life that's a change for her? It doesn't necessarily mean bullying or something overtly negative, but a lot of kids regress when there are changes that they are trying to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Hi,

My lady has a weak bladder, when she laughs she wets herself. She is 11 the GP says its should strengthen over time.

However at 7 she began drinking lots and started needing the toilet a lot she started wetting the bed as well (we also had a newborn baby at this time). Turned out she was Diabetic.

We cant give medical advice here so i would suggest you take her to the gp and give them a urine sample it could be something as simple as a UTI or a weak bladder.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭xxfelix

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Is there anything at all going on in her life that's a change for her? It doesn't necessarily mean bullying or something overtly negative, but a lot of kids regress when there are changes that they are trying to deal with.

thanks for your reply - Not that i can think of really....if anything everything is going great with her...very quiet girl but is realy coming out of herself...

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭xxfelix

Hi,

My lady has a weak bladder, when she laughs she wets herself. She is 11 the GP says its should strengthen over time.

However at 7 she began drinking lots and started needing the toilet a lot she started wetting the bed as well (we also had a newborn baby at this time). Turned out she was Diabetic.

We cant give medical advice here so i would suggest you take her to the gp and give them a urine sample it could be something as simple as a UTI or a weak bladder.

Best of luck.

Thanks a mill i will keep a close eye and get it checked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

xxfelix wrote: »
    Hi all,

Anything simialar happy simialar age?

My 7 year old had a accident in the classroom yesterday! soaked through so much the school had to change all underwear and give her another uniform! I asked her what happened and she says it came to quick....Just looking for some advice as to what could cause this and its a one off so its not like bullying or anything....she was quite hard to train and just trained at night now and also i would often check underwear at night and there would be dampness and a slight stale smell (sorry TMI) as if she gets off toilet too quick or someting. I just wanna know am i alone in this and is there anything i can do to get her to go as soon as she feels it coming on:)

Thanks for taking the time.

xx

This happened to my little girl too and it turned out that she was "too busy" to go to the loo - (I don't think she wanted to miss out on what was going on at that particular time in class). I've told her to go to the toilet before/after breaks in school - even if she doesn't need to go. Thankfully that was the last time it happened in school but it has happened once or twice when she was playing in the back garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I have a 7year old daughter myself and she wet herself a couple of times last year.
    Me and my other half really believe its because she kept it in so long that in the end she just went.
    We think she did this cos she didn't want to miss out on anything.
    I think 7 year olds can be like that.
    I genuinely wouldn't worry too much about it. Especially if it doesn't happen often.
    Ask her if she felt it a little earlier but put it off cos she was having fun or busy.
    Explain its ok and it was just a mistake if this is the case.
    Thats my experience with it and we haven't had it happen again since last June.
    Good luck OP

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Could it be that she just left it too late? Sometimes children get so caught up ,they forget until it's too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Could it be that she just left it too late? Sometimes children get so caught up ,they forget untl it's too late.
    That's what i think myself.
    Especially if its an isolated incident.
    Don't make too much of an issue of it

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Just check with her that she wasn't "afraid" to go or to ask the teacher could she go.Every teacher has their routines, and quiet kids can often get ideas in their heads - the teacher might say something completely innocent like "now, everyone has to stay sitting down until..." and the child might think that means she can't go to the toilet,(even though no teacher would mean it like that).

Otherwise she was probably "too busy" or didn't want to miss out on something! It's an awful lot more normal than you might think - I have friends who are teachers and many buy a couple of packets of boys and girls underwear at the start of every year, for the accidents, especially if they have younger classes.It's part of everyday life in the school up to a certain age.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I look after an 8yr old girl occasionally and she regularly has accidents, it seems to be not a priority with her, she would rather be doing whatever it is she is doing, and almost sees it as an inconvenience having to go to the loo! to be honest she reminds me of my little boy when I was training him, anything else was more important that using the toilet:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement