Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RecruitmentCompanies Melbourne

Options
  • 15-02-2011 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

The girlfriend is having trouble getting a job in Melbourne, she has been trying to go to the recruitment companies like HAYS etc the last week or so, however they are not very helpful and weren't when I was looking, you can't seem to drop in to them either; seems like most of them are like that too :confused:.

anyway does anyone know of any recruitment companies in the Melbourne CBD or area that you can drop in and will help out?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I'm not sure but if you look on seek.com.au the recruitment agency name is beside the job advertised. Then get onto their website and check them out. New to Melbourne myself, wouldn't mind some tips on who's best for gettin work. Warehouse or what ever for myself and admin etc for the gf. A place to stay would be nice too :p hate starting out in a new place all over

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

HAYS are clowns, stay away from them.

Try Morgan, haven't used them but I know someone that has.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

We knew Seek is the place the look and have been the last month, even most of the recruitment companies copy the seek site onto there websites.

I was talking to a girl in my work today and basically said the recruitment companies here are not like the ones at home-here they work for the clients. She even said she thinks they put fake jobs up just to get CV's then take them down.

@Universe, HAYS are so annoying, I think they only want people for SEnior positions and don't care about anyone else. She tried Morgan today on the phone and basically said they will get back to you after applying for jobs if your suitable. Very annoying.

I'm very lucky in that I got an engineering job sorted after 8days with no previous experience, but she hasn;t been so lucky and then its no good working at something you don't want to do after studying for years to get there.

thanks for the replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mdawg

what recruitment company did you use to get your engineering job? i just arrived in melbourne last week and am looking to get sorted with some civil engineering work, my gf is looking for whatever work she can get.
    also can anyone recommend a decent hostel or short stay accommodation, hostel im in is kind of crap and full of french and germans who dont mix well.
    any advice would be much appreciated, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

sonic.trip wrote: »

I'm very lucky in that I got an engineering job sorted after 8days with no previous experience, but she hasn;t been so lucky and then its no good working at something you don't want to do after studying for years to get there.

thanks for the replies

Tell me more about your engineering job? I am here a year and I couldn't find one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭tibor_imo

I'm working in NAB at the moment in docklands, got the job like 2 days after meeting with the recruiter, (with little or no experience in the field).

I went through Adecco, dealt with Raj in there. Only good things to say about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

After sending my resume to a few places the other day adecco were the only ones to get back to me.
    Try claremont hostel in south yarra. Nice people, clean and next door to train station which is not that loud. Can get dorms or room with bunk beds for two for same price. Only bad thing is no cooker. Microwave only.

Electrical engineering, no previous engineering experieince but I am a qualified electrican. I looked through seek but nothing from there. I sent off CVs and cover letters to any engineering companies in Melbourne and got sorted with an interview after a few days.

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 15 9332EDWARD

@ sonic.trip..

I too am an electrician and have a degree in electrical engineering.

Is it hard to find engineering work over there.

Did you just target engineering companies rather than go the recruitment agency route.

What area of electrical eng did you go into..

Also did the company sponsor you, is it a graduate program.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭tibor_imo

2 of my friends over here are electrical engineers. Applied directly to several places and both ended up getting a job with the same comopany, good pay and sponsorship being processed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭melb

Been here since xmas. Arrived over with a good but somewhat irrelevant masters and only a few months work experience. Had trouble getting even the most basic of jobs-call centre, etc.
    Met some other Irish people who said the only way they got jobs over here was thru lying on their CVs. SO I set about the lies! I have around 8 CVs now with varying levels of experience in loads of different fields. I set up a few fake hotmail and gmail accounts as referees in case someone decided to check up on me. This was in the last two weeks and I at least started to get some interviews even though most of it was with agencies (some of whom I had sent 6 different CVs to when applying for different jobs).
    Starting an accounts job next wed-only for 4 weeks but its a start. Will see what happens after that(they didn't email my other accounts looking for references).
    These are only ****ty jobs am applying for. I wouldn't be doing the same (essentially fraud) if I was applying for jobs where there was a possibility of sponsorship but two agencies I registered with have told me they don't understand the Irish and Scottish peoples obsession with sponsorship when they come over here. They said the best thing to do was get into a position and after 6 months if they want to keep you on then have a talk with them. Maybe even offer to pay the legal fees and such.
    One of my mates is a QS in Perth. 5 years experience. Every agency has told him they class him as a trainee over here. He made some changes to his CV (now 10+ years experience). Had his first interview two days ago.
    Its not ideal. And its hard to keep tract of who you sent which CV to. But if its ****ty jobs your after then imo its the way to go.
    Plus, Australianize your CV. Work experience first, then education, then the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

melb wrote: »
    Been here since xmas. Arrived over with a good but somewhat irrelevant masters and only a few months work experience. Had trouble getting even the most basic of jobs-call centre, etc.
    Met some other Irish people who said the only way they got jobs over here was thru lying on their CVs. SO I set about the lies! I have around 8 CVs now with varying levels of experience in loads of different fields. I set up a few fake hotmail and gmail accounts as referees in case someone decided to check up on me. This was in the last two weeks and I at least started to get some interviews even though most of it was with agencies (some of whom I had sent 6 different CVs to when applying for different jobs).
    Starting an accounts job next wed-only for 4 weeks but its a start. Will see what happens after that(they didn't email my other accounts looking for references).
    These are only ****ty jobs am applying for. I wouldn't be doing the same (essentially fraud) if I was applying for jobs where there was a possibility of sponsorship but two agencies I registered with have told me they don't understand the Irish and Scottish peoples obsession with sponsorship when they come over here. They said the best thing to do was get into a position and after 6 months if they want to keep you on then have a talk with them. Maybe even offer to pay the legal fees and such.
    One of my mates is a QS in Perth. 5 years experience. Every agency has told him they class him as a trainee over here. He made some changes to his CV (now 10+ years experience). Had his first interview two days ago.
    Its not ideal. And its hard to keep tract of who you sent which CV to. But if its ****ty jobs your after then imo its the way to go.
    Plus, Australianize your CV. Work experience first, then education, then the rest.

haha gas man! I hope they are ****ty jobs and your not saying you can fly jumbo jets or do open heart surgery!

So whats if they pull you up on your lies, i.e you say you are experienced in some area but when they give you the job your brutal at it??

haha gas man! I hope they are ****ty jobs and your not saying you can fly jumbo jets or do open heart surgery!

So whats if they pull you up on your lies, i.e you say you are experienced in some area but when they give you the job your brutal at it??

When I'm on about ****ty jobs I'm talking about waiting tables, bar work, food+beverage you know yourself-call center and the like. Stuff you did for a few summers when you were in school/college. I can't see "food + beverage" attendant being on the list of sponsorable jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nick Diamond

melb wrote: »

This is how Stephen Wilce started off, look where he ended up...

Well he got a good 5 years out of them..

cheers for the advice, masters seems to mean nothing over here, don't think some of them even know what it is and what hard work goes into it, crazy.

will get her to start the lies so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

I got a few temp / call centre jobs through Julia Ross. You have to email them your resume. My partner got warehouse work through Peopleco. They seemed pretty keen to find you work as I recall. This was a couple of years ago now though.

Advertisement