Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Crutches

Options
  • 15-02-2011 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

I injured my foot last week & to avoid major queues for hours/days in a regular A&E I went to a Swift Clinic for X-Ray yesterday. No bones broken Thank God but it's severely sprained. I left without getting crutches! I can walk on it really slowly on & off for part of the day but by evening it's agony & I cant walk on it at all. Does anyone know where I can get crutches without having to go to an A&E department? Could I send my friend back to the Swift & ask for a pair? Do they hire them out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Can't think of a suitable forum to move this to so i'll try answer it myself.

An A&E dept. may be able to help you but may require a deposit on the crutches to ensure their return. Best bet would be to go back to Swift Clinic you attended and ask them as they'd have a record of you being there.

If you're feeling flush you could buy them,from here:http://www.physioneeds.biz/ProductDetail.aspx?ref=DM%20121

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Poutbutton

Thanks Lord Lucan, friend is popping back into the Swift clinic today. They charge I believe :rolleyes: Thanks for that link I'll save it for future ref

Just to close this thread, my friend went back and got me crutches which cost €30. They came with instructions on how to use them :pac: but Nothing was said as to whether I've to return them or not. Guess they'll phone me if I do. Happily hobbling about now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Weedikins

My son got crutches from a VHI clinic and when I tried to return them they said they don't take them back. Strange.

I've since heard the same thing, they are mine to keep apparently. They'll come in handy, I've injured the same ankle so many times now I've lost count. I'll keep them in the loft just in case. I've heard many places no longer take them back and the guy who got them for me said he regularly sees skipfull's of them in perfect shape being throw out beside his business! Wonder what the reason is, I mean I can understand the rubber on the bottom would get worn down with long term use but it seems such a waste. I bet there's charities out there in other countries that would gladly take them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I think that the reasoning is that they don't know how well or badly the crutch has been treated. There could be microfractures in the metal structure that could lead to collapse if a greater than safe-working load force is placed upon it*.

The last thing any healthcare provider wants is for a patient to place weight on a crutch that then collapses beneath them perhaps causing further injury and resulting in a lawsuit!

There is also the very minor issue of having to sterilise any crutches they get back or having to change the handles and forearm support straps to avoid the potential of passing on infections. Better all around to just not take them back.

However as Poutbutton says, I'm sure hospitals/healthcare providers in poorer countries wouldn't say no to getting them!

(*I'm not an engineer but I do work with medical device firms).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 OneOfTheseDays

Hi guys,

My girlfriend had much the same experience in a Swift Clinic. She's really struggling to get around and would be great to pick up a set of crutches for a few days.

I know it seems like a contradiction but money is actually kind of tight. Anyone know where I could pick up a set for less than E30 in Dublin City Centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I've seen them on Adverts from time to time, you might pick up a set there if you don't mind second hand ones.

Advertisement