Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good sites for downloading wav files

Options
  • 15-02-2011 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭

I normally only buy cd's but am having trouble finding a reasonably priced copy of an album I want.

I'm no expert but from what I can gather, wav files are better audio quality files than mp3. That's why I normally only buy cd's and rarely use Itunes.

So does anyone know any good music sites to legally download music in wav format. Would be interested to see the comparison on price.

I've had a look at the sticky but a lot of the posts in there are old and the sites no longer exist.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Most people can't tell the difference between an MP3 and a WAV file once the MP3 is encoded properly so I wouldn't let the availability of an album in MP3 format only discourage you from buying it. Unless you're one of those audiophile types you won't notice a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

wav files are also huge compared to mp3. For comparison, I rendered the multi-track recording of Long Train Runnin by the Doobie Brothers to CD quality wav and mp3. The wav file is 35.6MB and the mp3 is 4.85MB. As Malice said, most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two anyway.

You could try looking for sites that use ogg vorbis or FLAC files which are better quality than mp3 but a similar file size. I can't say I've ever heard of any though. By the way, the Itunes store uses AAC files which are also better quality than mp3 for a similar file size.

Advertisement