Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gravel driveway-any way to 'glue' the gravel?

• 15-02-2011 12:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    We have a driveway (standard urban size) with gravel/pebbles and a mesh under it. I'm fed up of having to brush the gravel from the road back onto the driveway and even it out.

Anyone know if there's any way to glue/fix it down so that the gravel/pebbles are fixed/won't move?
    (please no smart answers like buy some glue...)

Cheers,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

About ten years ago the driveway to and around our house was loose gravel, with the same problems as you are experiencing. We had the whole lot covered in tarmac and have not had a problem since. The driveways have stayed as good as new.

It wasn't a cheap option but it stopped the problem of the gravel (and its dust) getting everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Probably the most practical solution is to remove the gravel close to the driveway entrance and replace with granite clay or even concrete pavers for about 1200-1500mm back from the entrance. It won't remove the problem entirely but it will dramatically reduce it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

If u google for 'Tipperary Sandstone Gravel Stabilizer' u will find a link to a company which used to do this product: my link has died but they maybe able to help.

Its a plastic honey comb structure which comes in sheets and you fill in the gravel into the honeycombs

It works well, have seen it in visitor centre in newgrange on the steps and also at the visitor centre at giants causeway

AFAIK there is a light commercial traffic option also

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Carlow52 wrote: »
    If u google for 'Tipperary Sandstone Gravel Stabilizer' u will find a link to a company which used to do this product: my link has died but they maybe able to help.

Its a plastic honey comb structure which comes in sheets and you fill in the gravel into the honeycombs

It works well, have seen it in visitor centre in newgrange on the steps and also at the visitor centre at giants causeway

AFAIK there is a light commercial traffic option also

BnQ in Liffey Valley sell their owen honeycomb driveway sections for 5 euro a section.

Raodstone also sell it,as do mosy builders providers now.:)

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    We have a driveway (standard urban size) with gravel/pebbles and a mesh under it. I'm fed up of having to brush the gravel from the road back onto the driveway and even it out.

Anyone know if there's any way to glue/fix it down so that the gravel/pebbles are fixed/won't move?
    (please no smart answers like buy some glue...)

Cheers,
    Pa.

Remove pea gravel and replace with the likes of crushed slate,limestone chippings,and then use a whacker plate.There are loads of styles and colours to choose from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

paddy147 wrote: »
    Remove pea gravel and replace with the likes of crushed slate,limestone chippings,and then use a whacker plate.There are loads of styles and colours to choose from.

Crushed Slate never binds right, there is 5mm chip on the parents driveway and I drove over it with a 6 ton tracked excavator for about an hour, over the course of a year 10 cube concrete lorries drove in and out and compacted it down. Being honest it works but every once in a while small pot holes appear in it. It does the job of keeping everything in place alright but its not a permanent solution.

cronin_j wrote: »
    Crushed Slate never binds right, there is 5mm chip on the parents driveway and I drove over it with a 6 ton tracked excavator for about an hour, over the course of a year 10 cube concrete lorries drove in and out and compacted it down. Being honest it works but every once in a while small pot holes appear in it. It does the job of keeping everything in place alright but its not a permanent solution.

What would you suggest for a nice graveled or crushed stone driveway and keeping it compacted and in place then?

My missus is looking at various coloured stone and slate style chippings in a large landscapers and garden nursery at the moment.

What would you suggest for a nice graveled or crushed stone driveway and keeping it compacted and in place then?

My missus is looking at various coloured stone and slate style chippings in a large landscapers and garden nursery at the moment.

See it all moves about, Slate more than the others, thats why they specify clean crushed stone for filling in houses, slate never compacts it just moves across itself.

You could go with the 5mm-10mm chip and get a screening layer over the top, which is basically the dust and compact that in place. However its messy until it rains a few times, being honest its not a looker at all. Im trying to find a pic of the parents driveway, i know its on google street view but i dont want to be posting that up here as it would reveal the location.

EDIT: Found a pic, as you can see the driveway there thats 5mm Chip. I happened to be putting landdrains in the day the google car passed and you can see me driving a minidigger in the background. a 20 ton lorry had reversed in and you can see it upset the stone as you can see the tracks.

See it all moves about, Slate more than the others, thats why they specify clean crushed stone for filling in houses, slate never compacts it just moves across itself.

You could go with the 5mm-10mm chip and get a screening layer over the top, which is basically the dust and compact that in place. However its messy until it rains a few times, being honest its not a looker at all. Im trying to find a pic of the parents driveway, i know its on google street view but i dont want to be posting that up here as it would reveal the location.

My missus is a professional horticulturalist,so the garden and driveway has to be perfect.

Im so tempted to just go and order a Roadstone cement mixer full of concrete and say "there you go love".:D

But I know Id be single again,very fast,if I did that.

My missus is a professional horticulturalist,so the garden and driveway has to be perfect.

Im so tempted to just go and order a Roadstone cement mixer full of concrete and say "there you go love".:D

But I know Id be single again,very fast,if I did that.

I added a pic in the previous post.

Ha ha your stuck so.

How big an area is the drive? For around €50/m2 you can get paving that directs water away installed.

• Advertisement

I added a pic in the previous post.

Ha ha your stuck so.

How big an area is the drive? For around €50/m2 you can get paving that directs water away installed.

Its my house,but its her garden now,shes the expert and she knows what shes doing and how she wants to plant it up.She went and did up several 3D garden designs for me,she that mad into it.

She ordered in a load of railway sleepers and golden hornbeam hedging,multi stem silver birch trees and then some mad plants and flowers that Ive never heard of before.

She got most of the stuff from Tulleys Nurseries and Mount Venus Nurseries and garden display centre.

Seriously,if I did get in concrete,then I would be single again,and very fast too.So Im letting her have her way on the garden and driveway.;):D

Advertisement