Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Russia a dictatorship ?

• 15-02-2011 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭

MOSCOW – The judge who convicted Mikhail Khodorkovsky did not write the verdict and read it against his will in the Moscow courtroom, the judge's assistant said Monday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_russia_khodorkovsky

Never hear much real opposition to Putin from the West (US, Europe)
    Putin has clung onto power in Russia for years now beyond his official term as president.
    Is there any stopping this guy ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Is there any stopping this guy ?

Hell no, he's a judo master.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

well it's certainly not one of the freer nations, though, neither is the US, who would probably be the loudest critics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭Kasabian

phasers wrote: »

Maki would sort him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Kasabian wrote: »
    Maki would infract him.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

In Soviet Russia...

...you can visit many of the delightful sights Moscow has to offer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Russia has a stranglehold over a lot of countries due to its vast oil reserves which they threaten to switch off every so often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

It is more or less a dictatorship. The people don't seem to mind though :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I don't think that the Russians have ever been ruled by anyone but a dictator of one sort or another throughout the country's entire history. Some of them, even now, think that Stalin was a great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

It is more or less a dictatorship. The people don't seem to mind though :confused:

Anna Politkovskaya was the only one of note that I can remember - and she was killed by Putin because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

No they dont. They really like Putin and the vast majority adored Stalin, despite his murderous madness
    Maybe they find the western idea of democracy unappealing :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Russians seem sort of averse to freedom, if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

It's a Mikhail Mouse state

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Russians seem sort of averse to freedom, if you ask me.

Ah but eez zis freedom from, or freedom to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

ejmaztec wrote: »
    ISome of them, even now, think that Stalin was a great bunch of lads.

Was Stalin a band or something :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It's more a case that those who speak out are rounded up and imprisoned, and other countries never really cover it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

It's not a dictatorship, but more of an oligarchy.

Bambi wrote: »
    Was Stalin a band or something :confused:

Yeh, a super-group made up of the Grateful Dead and Nine Inch Nails. It had them rocking in the gulags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Yeh, a super-group made up of the Grateful Dead and Nine Inch Nails. It had them rocking in the gulags.

That's some good taste you've got there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭JohnathanM

phasers wrote: »

Three words:
    Chuck. F'cking. Norris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I don't think many Russians are under the misapprehension that they live in a democracy. Most that I have talked seem to think they need a strong leader, but don't necessarily have to elect them

• Advertisement

JohnathanM wrote: »
    Three words:
    Chuck. F'cking. Norris.

I think that Putin would chuck senile old Chuck out the window with one arm tied behind his back.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭De Dannan

You hardly hear a peep out of the US about the fact that Putin is more or less a dictator and has a massive nuclear arsenal.
    When it comes to other dictatorships such as North Korea or Iran, the US never stop criticising them. Double standards I think

De Dannan wrote: »
    You hardly hear a peep out of the US about the fact that Putin is more or less a dictator and has a massive nuclear arsenal.
    When it comes to other dictatorships such as North Korea or Iran, the US never stop criticising them. Double standards I think

The Americans have supported a lot worse than Putin.

The Americans have supported a lot worse than Putin.

Like he said, double standards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

It's Russia. We wouldn't understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Dictatorship
    Kleptocracy
    Oiligarchy
    Plutocracy
    Mafiacracy
    Dead Journalistsocracy
    Vodkacracy

take your pick, mix and matching allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭fred252

i've worked with a few russians. they seem to respect a strong leader and feel its the only way for russia. as the previous poster pointed out many of them still revere stalin. its odd because in a lot of ways they are moderate, reasonable and intelligent. its doesn't seem compatiible with veneration for a murderous tyrant. i did try to challenge them on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Long live communist russia !!!!!

fred252 wrote: »
    i've worked with a few russians. they seem to respect a strong leader and feel its the only way for russia. as the previous poster pointed out many of them still revere stalin. its odd because in a lot of ways they are moderate, reasonable and intelligent. its doesn't seem compatiible with veneration for a murderous tyrant. i did try to challenge them on it.

Thats amazing that they still revere Stalin even today, when they all know of his evil doings. At the time you may have forgiven them as the majority of people have been unaware of what he was up to then, but not now.
    It doesnt really make any sense. Revere a strong leader, fine, but a murderous dictator is pushing it

• Advertisement
Advertisement