Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to lose weight :(

Options
  • 15-02-2011 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi everyone, I desperately want to loose weight. It has slowly crept up from 110 lb to 140lb in the last few years. I am female and 5ft tall. I have been trying to loose the weight in a healthy way for about 6 months now, but haven't seen any change at all. I am with weight watchers for that time but haven't lost any weight at all. But I have been very good and not cheated on the diet and been keeping to may points.

When I try to eat considerably less I always get hungry and end up failing and eating much more than I usually would. So please the more information you can give me the better. I am trying to lose 30 pound for ages and ages now. I'm not eating too many calories a day, probably about 1200, but my weight just wont go down.

I would be incredibly grateful for any advice at all that you could give on how I can loose some more weight.

I would like to do some exercise, but I can afford the gym and the weather is always raining so I cant really do anything outside. I also get home from work at around 5:30 in the evening and I sit at a desk all day at work. Please let me know if you have any idea of exercises I would do to increase weight loss!

What foods should I eat? Could you tell me exactly what I should eat every day?

Have any of you taken the Acai pills? Or any diet pill? If so have any worked for you guys?

I know that there are a lot of questions here, but I'm getting desperate to shift some weight, I cant even fit into some of my clothes anymore. I would like to be back to 110 lb as soon as possible. Any advice you have I would be incredibly grateful for.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

Im in the same boat,
    Ive been going to Slimming World since October, and lost 10Ib, however I havn't been able to lose anything at all since Christmas.
    I am a member of a gym and have been doing 30mins cardio and 30mins weights for the last few months, and my trainer thinks thats why my weight hasn't changed. He has put me onto a programme of 90mins of cardio, running, cycling etc.
    He also confirmed what I was denying to myself, Slimming World allows you to eat massive portions..that can't help you lose weight!! I was also eatin alot of apples, bananas and grapes, which are really high in sugars..
    Im starting this programme tonight, I currently weigh 147Ib, Id love to get down to even 140Ib..
    Il keep you updated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

nellybelle wrote: »
    I have been trying to loose the weight in a healthy way for about 6 months now, but haven't seen any change at all. I am with weight watchers for that time but haven't lost any weight at all. But I have been very good and not cheated on the diet and been keeping to may points.

Hi nellybelle, when you say you haven't seen any change, does that mean both up and down? I would imagine, if this is the case, you are eating at maintenance level, that is you are taking in as much energy as you are expending.
    When I try to eat considerably less I always get hungry and end up failing and eating much more than I usually would. So please the more information you can give me the better.

A common problem with dieting, can you give us an idea of your daily diet?
    I am trying to lose 30 pound for ages and ages now. I'm not eating too many calories a day, probably about 1200, but my weight just wont go down.

Have you sat down and actually weighed/measured your food to calculate that 1200?
    I would like to do some exercise, but I can afford the gym and the weather is always raining so I cant really do anything outside. I also get home from work at around 5:30 in the evening and I sit at a desk all day at work. Please let me know if you have any idea of exercises I would do to increase weight loss!

Plenty you can do at home, there's a thread on that so i'll come back and link to that later. Weather is improving daily (and rarely extreme) so getting outdoors will be easier.

You'll already know the answer to this...base your meals around meats/fish/veg and fruit, cut down on processed and white starchy foods, and portion size.
    I know that there are a lot of questions here, but I'm getting desperate to shift some weight, I cant even fit into some of my clothes anymore. I would like to be back to 110 lb as soon as possible. Any advice you have I would be incredibly grateful for.

If you can answer the questions above, there'll be plenty of people to help you with that, educating yourself is probably the key and this thread will be the first step to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 nellybelle

Hi there, CMYK, thank you very much for your response.

On a typical day I would:

Breakfast
    -bowl of special K sustain and slimline milk.

Snack
    -mandarin orange
    -pear at break.
    - Weight watchers yogurt

Lunch
    Salad (lettuce,carrot, peppers, tomato) No dressing
    weight watchers soup
    1 slice whole grain bread

Snack
    -Kiwi
    -Red pepper slices
    -olives

Dinner
    Weight watchers frozen dinner

My weight was 130lb when I started weight watchers and is now 133lb, there hasnt been much fluctuation, it has not gone down though.

I did track the exact calories for a while using http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ and the average was usually 1200 calories.

I think ill try and get some exercise in just to try and get fresh air, however I'm not too worried right now about toning or muscle building. I look forward to receiving the thread link.

I really appreciate you taking the time to responding to me and helping me get on my feet.

Hi Catxscotch, yeah please do keep me updated on your progress. I really hope it works out for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

Hey Nelly, TBH your diet sounds fine but what i would replace is the weight watchers meal with a nutritious home cooked meal - steamed chicked fillet with brown rice or pasta or even a small portion of steamed potatoes and some veg.

What will make the difference is the exercise. You dont even need to go mad on it because youre not taking in very fatty foods. Say a 30 min walk or jog a day to start off with and slowly increase the time. Personally I think the rain shouldnt put you off achieving your goals.

Hope this information helps and best of luck with it. Keep us updated as to how you are getting on

• Advertisement

Thank you for the info Anthony :)

You know what I think I'll just 'man up' a bit and take it on the chin. Gonna go out for a jog tonight.

Ill keep ya posted and let ya know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Breakfast
    -bowl of special K sustain and slimline milk.

Snack
    -mandarin orange
    -pear at break.
    - Weight watchers yogurt

Lunch
    Salad (lettuce,carrot, peppers, tomato) No dressing
    weight watchers soup
    1 slice whole grain bread

Snack
    -Kiwi
    -Red pepper slices
    -olives

Dinner
    Weight watchers frozen dinner

Hi OP, just on your diet - you seem to be eating hardly anything but carbs all day long. There's very little of the other two macronutrients, protein and fat (do not be afraid of it and don't believe WW either).

Your breakfast isn't conducive to weight loss at all in my opinion. Special K is full of sugar and more or less nutritionally void. Do not believe the advertising from Kellogg's - there are far, far better things for breakfast out there.

Maybe cut down on some of the fruit and replace it with more fibrous veg.

Ditch the Weight Watchers products, particularly the frozen dinner. Learn to cook meals yourself, using fresh ingredients.

And lastly, and probably most importantly, as cymk pointed out earlier, knowledge is key. Educate yourself on exercise (both cardio and weights) and nutrition (there's a lot of myths out there). As a first step, read the sticky here on the basics and also the one in the Nutrition forum. Learn them well and you won't go far wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

On a typical day I would:
    Breakfast -bowl of special K sustain and slimline milk.
    Snack -mandarin orange -pear at break.- Weight watchers yogurt
    Lunch Salad (lettuce,carrot, peppers, tomato) No dressing, weight watchers soup, 1 slice whole grain bread
    Snack -Kiwi -Red pepper slices -olives
    Dinner, Weight watchers frozen dinner

Ok, your diet isn't great, but it's not your fault. All your meals are sugar based. Take a look at the nutritional values on your special K and WW products, in particular the sugar. It sounds like it's time to ditch the WW and take a different tack. WW works for some, but it's really just an easier way of counting calories, there doesn't seem to be any focus on nutrients as far as I'm aware.

The key to this I'd guess will be your food choices. Try to work some lean protein sources into your meals, (lean meats/fish/eggs) it'll work for a number of reasons, none of which we need to delve into now.
    I think ill try and get some exercise in just to try and get fresh air, however I'm not too worried right now about toning or muscle building. I look forward to receiving the thread link.

Great, just remember the bigger factor in weight loss will most likely be what you put in your mouth, that's not to discredit the value of exercise.

Frogdog wrote: »
    Your breakfast isn't conducive to weight loss at all in my opinion. Special K is full of sugar and more or less nutritionally void. Do not believe the advertising from Kellogg's - there are far, far better things for breakfast out there.

Maybe cut down on some of the fruit and replace it with more fibrous veg.

Thank you Frogdog, I had no idea that I was eating mostly carbs :o

What would you recommend for a more healthy breakfast?

Also by fibrous veg do you mean beans and lentils? Are there other options?

I know I'm asking also here, but I'm grateful for any details you can give.

cmyk wrote: »
    Ok, your diet isn't great, but it's not your fault. All your meals are sugar based. Take a look at the nutritional values on your special K and WW products, in particular the sugar. It sounds like it's time to ditch the WW and take a different tack. WW works for some, but it's really just an easier way of counting calories, there doesn't seem to be any focus on nutrients as far as I'm aware.

The key to this I'd guess will be your food choices. Try to work some lean protein sources into your meals, (lean meats/fish/eggs) it'll work for a number of reasons, none of which we need to delve into now.

Than you so much for your comments, I had no idea what I was eating :o I thought I was making great changes! Gonna drop weight watchers.

Im not really sure whats wrong and right any more at this point... Im not sure where to start planning my meals. I mean should I keep the fruits and salads? and the soup? What kind of foods are good or bad?

Sorry about all the questions, I'm just confused because of the contradicting info between WW and other sources.

I will look at all the links you guys have sent me to see if I can devise a better eating plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Porridge is the best start to the day anyone can make nutritionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

I`ve lost 3 stone but I do not purport to be an expert on diet and fitness in any way.I`ve done it by realising that I just need to not eat so much.

There is no scientific evidence to back anything up except for calorie restriction. Thats what all diets are at the end of the day. You can download Cron-o-meter which I used at first to make sure I was getting vitamins and minerals that I needed as well as keeping an eye on my calorie and exercise.

Evidence points to the fact that humans were designed to fast and then eat when food was available -now its always available and we can`t turn our instinct off.

Fasting for short periods won`t kill us - i mean hours not days. I want to eat what I enjoy so I don`t eat breakfast or lunch and have what I want later, although not in the same quantities or at the same speed I use to. People will say things like "it`ll slow your metabolism" blah blah but apparently and as my doc has conmfirmed this isn`t a proven fact.

The exception to this, and I`ve learned the hard way, don`t go to the gym on empty you will not be able to sustain energy to make your work out worth while so thats a waste of time.

I watch a video of another girl who lost weight and she used the treadmill. You walk 1 minute then jog 1 minute and build it up over times to your own comfort level but do push yourself a bit. So lets say you do it for 20 minutes you`ve jogged 10 without barely noticing.

Then do weight, so important for long term health and vitality - I dare anyone to do this routine 5 times a week and not feel and look amazing in a month. Your skin glows and you look younger.

Don`t listen to anyone - people can be very devisive for whatever reason, I suppose it puts pressure on them and they don`t want to change, particularly that friend that you always eat with she`ll say any amount of cliches to appeal to your food lovin side and get you to ditch the diet!

Lastly don`t think of it as a diet, think of it as an investment in your long term health and vitality. You want to be happy, healthy and fit. You want to be able to shop and get a size your happy to be buying. Don`t let anyone or any moments pleasure with a food cheat you out of these wonderful moments. Struggle with those inner voices that made you fat in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

As mentioned above there is some great information in these threads:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055963342

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055964941&highlight=home+workout+thread (as mentioned by cmyk)

The home workout thread is really useful for you because you can't get to the gym.
    Don't let the weather put you off going outside - just change your clothes and have a shower when you get back in - and you'll feel great. In fact, a lot of people prefer running in the rain, because it keeps you nice and cool!

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Forget the magic bullet or pill. Doesn't exist.

A healthy body and state of wellbeing requires a number of factors: -

Good nutrition
    Resistance training
    Cardio training
    Motivation

Picking just one of these may sometimes do the trick if your one of those lucky genetically gifted folks who can east nothing but pizza and still brandish a six pack. For the rest of us it takes time and effort.

Packaged cereals are generally rubbish. Try porridge with fruit, eggs on toast, even fish! takes 2 mins to cook and very healthy.

Fruit is a good snack as are nuts, a yogurt maybe.

Make sure you eat a hearty breakfast, dont skimp, start the day right.

Dont cut too much calorie wise either. When your exercising you need the energy to keep going.

The operation transformation is a good start that combimes these things.

Dont perpetuate the typical mistake most women make of trying to starve themselves thin while avoiding all exercise at all costs quoting some myth about becoming too muscley.....(where are all these muscley women?....answer, there are none because it cannot happen.)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 freckles1234

Hi there, I was just worndering how you are getting on with your weight loss. I work night shift and I find it very hard to eat the right food at night. Could you recommmed anything thats healthy and filling. would be grateful for any replies
    Hi everyone, I desperately want to loose weight. It has slowly crept up from 110 lb to 140lb in the last few years. I am female and 5ft tall. I have been trying to loose the weight in a healthy way for about 6 months now, but haven't seen any change at all. I am with weight watchers for that time but haven't lost any weight at all. But I have been very good and not cheated on the diet and been keeping to may points.

When I try to eat considerably less I always get hungry and end up failing and eating much more than I usually would. So please the more information you can give me the better. I am trying to lose 30 pound for ages and ages now. I'm not eating too many calories a day, probably about 1200, but my weight just wont go down.

I would be incredibly grateful for any advice at all that you could give on how I can loose some more weight.

Have any of you taken the Acai pills? Or any diet pill? If so have any worked for you guys?

Hi there, I was just worndering how you are getting on with your weight loss. I work night shift and I find it very hard to eat the right food at night. Could you recommmed anything thats healthy and filling. would be grateful for any replies

Hi freckles1234, thanks for your interest. Im doing really well, be it by an unconventional way. I have lost most of my weight now by doing the Cambridge Diet, and their also have an Irish site by clicking here. I am now down to 118 lbs from 138, so I have lost 20 lbs in 4 weeks :).

There are several different plans in the diet. I am currently on a plan where you eat only three of their products a day and nothing else. They have a lot of diffferent flavours and options. Another plan is where you eat three of their products plus a no carb meal. You meet with your Cambridge Diet councillor every week so they can make sure your doing everything safely and they can answer any questions you have. I found an amazing Councilor in my local area.

They also have a good program of reintroducing regular food back into your diet and getting you to maintain your weight afterwards to ensure you dont gain it all back once the diet is over. However it does take lots of motivation but I found that all the restriction really helped me, especially to get a start on losing weight.

I have just ordered the 'The 30 Day Shred' workout DVD from amazon which will arrive next week so I can get some excercise going.

Oh. there was a similar diet I tried before called Lipotrim, but I diddnt like it at all.

Please let me know if you have any more questions, I'll be glad to give you more info :)

Sorry I couldnt be more specfic in relation to giving you meal ideas. When I was on a 1000 cal a day plan (which is ok for me as Im only 4'11") I ate wraps with different fillings such as grilled turkey, lettuce, tomato, houmous, sun dried tomatoes... and then I would sometimes also have aside salad or soup :) I tired to increase my protein intake and decrease my carb intake, I found that wraps were great for this.

let me know if you have any more questions :) You can PM me ifyou like

nellybellexx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Shatner

thewing wrote: »
    Porridge is the best start to the day anyone can make nutritionally.

Seriously, listen to this poster. Forget about Special K etc., porridge is the way to go. It's a slow burner and it will make you feel fuller for longer (I don't know the science bit but it's something to do with blood sugar regulation or something).

I used to always struggle with porridge cos more often than not I'd mess it up. But the Flahavans quick oats are a godsend. 79c in Tesco, you fill with milk/water to the line and 1:30 in the microwave. The strawberry one is particularly nice.

I've been having one every morning for a month now and I've noticed a huge decline in my need to snack and in my cravings for badness. Lost a couple of kilos too which is nice (I've been eating well for the other meals too, of course, but the porridge seems to make me less likely to crave sweet things and snacks in between meals).

Advertisement