Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Social Welfare Cheques

Options
  • 15-02-2011 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Does anyone know if it is possible to change a social welfare cheque in any shops or business in Letterkenny. I am working 3 days per week so i am claiming Unemployment Benefit also. The queue at the post office is usually a disaster and i have my daughter with me and often find us standing outside in the rain.
    if i lodge it in my bank account it takes up to 3 working days to clear.
    Any suggestions
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Any post office will change it for you, also i think if you hand in your bank account details into the social welfare office they will lodge your money into your account for you so the hassle of the cheque wont be needed. Most shops will change it for you too, its a government cheque so it wont bounce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Hmmmmm... Wouldn't count on the last part there !! :)

Seriously though. Anywhere you are known should have no problem changing it. Just ask. If they know your name matches the check you'll have no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭gavmcfad

irish1967 wrote: »
    Hmmmmm... Wouldn't count on the last part there !! :)

Seriously though. Anywhere you are known should have no problem changing it. Just ask. If they know your name matches the check you'll have no bother.

But that is where i have the problem. I am not originally from Letterkenny. I have asked in a few of the shops which i frequent but they say they dont change cheques.....Maybe i just look dodgy. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭blue shimmering

gavmcfad wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it is possible to change a social welfare cheque in any shops or business in Letterkenny. I am working 3 days per week so i am claiming Unemployment Benefit also. The queue at the post office is usually a disaster and i have my daughter with me and often find us standing outside in the rain.
    if i lodge it in my bank account it takes up to 3 working days to clear.
    Any suggestions
    Thanks

The cheques are drawn on the Bank of Ireland so if you have a BOI account and lodge it there, it may clear right away....worth a try anyway!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Fracture wrote: »
    Any post office will change it for you, also i think if you hand in your bank account details into the social welfare office they will lodge your money into your account for you so the hassle of the cheque wont be needed.

The Social Welfare won't lodge payments straight to your bank account anymore unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

The credit union used to change cheques, might be worth trying there if your a member.

Advertisement