Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuse board

Options
  • 15-02-2011 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Any ideas on how much it would be to upgrade a fuse board? I have one of the older screw in fuses, and want to upgrade it to a modern flip switch one
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭hohojojo

i'd say between 160 to 200 thats to supply and fit standard fuseboard the last time i done one as a nixer

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

probably best to get the installation tested at the same time to see that the wiring is still in good condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭086lavey

id normaly charge between 350 and 400 , which would include , new main earth rod , hot press bonded etc , full test , and cert , also depends on what type of cable is used , if old red and black pvc cable , i would install new board and test , if old black rubber cable , i would advise full rewire ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

hohojojo wrote: »
    i'd say between 160 to 200 thats to supply and fit standard fuseboard the last time i done one as a nixer
    Thats a nixer price too!
    You are looking at least €300 to change board assuming theres no other problems like rubber cables, no earth bar etc etc

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I would agree 100% with the last 2 posts. "Back in the day" as an electrical contractor (registered and insured) I would have charged a minimum of €300 but generally in the region of €500. Charging less than this is not sustainable. As always a "nixer" will cost less, but this will often be reflected in the workmanship and level of safety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

€300 is what I charge, there's a bit of work in them. And like others said, you might run into problems

• Registered Users Posts: 21 wildbronco89

I live in a 4 bed house and the mains went the other day, I know why, and flipped the switch and everything turned on again. except the lights in the back 2 bedrooms and the house alarm.

The Alarm company suggested that it may be a blown fuse and the alarm may be linked to the lights at the bac2 bedrooms as everything else is working.

I have tried to trace the fuse flip switches which correspond to the lights and no luck. the landing and remaining bedrooms seem to be on a different circuit.
    I have also checked the bulbs and alarm fuse, all are fine.

Any ideas where to go next? Anyone?

Thanks
    Aaron

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

aaronj
    you say you know why the power tripped
    are you going to tell us
    make sure you pull all the tripswitches completely down to reset them ,then push them firmly up
    have you replaced any light switches or light fittings lately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

You might have to upgrade the incoming mains also.
    That would bring up the price a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Got one for 200 recently. Ex council house Two up Three down. For the lads charging more than 200 what are you charging per hour?

Have you reduced your rates at all recently?

Stupid phone went mad earlier sorry for the the jibberish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

ted1 wrote: »
    Got one fine tot 200 recently. Ex council house Two up Three down. For the lasso charging more ebay are you charging per hour.

Does anyone know what this is about? Cant make head nor tail of it.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

If the fuseboard needs changing, then the bonding , earth rod , tails to the Esb meter, need to be done & maybe some more things in the house, this all requires a cert & a reconnection fee to the ESB. You cannot do it properly for Euro 200.00 the ESBs fee for reconnecting is more than that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

bertie1 wrote: »
    If the fuseboard needs changing, then the bonding , earth rod , tails to the Esb meter, need to be done & maybe some more things in the house, this all requires a cert & a reconnection fee to the ESB. You cannot do it properly for Euro 200.00 the ESBs fee for reconnecting is more than that.
    Exactly.

Sadly some people think they can get this work done for €200 which only encourages the cowboys.

If a registered electrical contractor were to price like this and do the work properly they would go bust quite rapidly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

yes the 200euro is the cowboy end of the game

usually about 5-800 including paperwork and additional works(excluding esbn 160 odd callout fee)

there's also a guide in the back of the rules for fuseboard replacement

Advertisement