Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing Car to Spain

Options
  • 15-02-2011 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm currently working in the Barcelona area and I need to sort out transport down there. At the moment I'm hiring cars but I'm looking into buying a cheap car at home and driving it down. Are there any Irish insurance companies that will cover me down there? Don't really need fully comp as I'm not planning on spending much on the car.

Would also appreciate any other tips or suggestions.

Thanks very much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Hi all,

I'm currently working in the Barcelona area and I need to sort out transport down there. At the moment I'm hiring cars but I'm looking into buying a cheap car at home and driving it down. Are there any Irish insurance companies that will cover me down there? Don't really need fully comp as I'm not planning on spending much on the car.

Would also appreciate any other tips or suggestions.

Thanks very much.

It depends
    If you live fulltime in Spain then you cannot drive a Car on Irish plates there or Insure it in Ireland, you'd have to re-register it in Spain and get the headlamps swapped out.

If you still live in Ireland and commute to Spain then you could buy it at your primary residence, although the insurance crowds will only cover you for 30 days (maximum 3 months) outside Ireland.

Depends on your situation really and how much risk your willing to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CantThinkOfANam

Yeah I will still be commuting home on my days off. Was just talking to Aviva and they max 30 days so looks like that plan is gone out de door.

Btw, why would I have to change de headlamps in the car?

Yeah I will still be commuting home on my days off. Was just talking to Aviva and they max 30 days so looks like that plan is gone out de door.

Btw, why would I have to change de headlamps in the car?

Headlights on a RHD Car point the wrong way, when you drive on the continent your supposed to fit beam benders that repoint them so you dont dazzle oncoming traffic. If you re-register that car its a requirement to swap out the headlights or reconfigure them (only possible on some cars)

I'd say you'd be better off buying a sh*tbox in spain to get you around.

Yeah but I think I have to be registered down there in order to buy, tax and insure a car. Bad enough having the Irish revenue after, dont want the Spanish also!!!

Yeah but I think I have to be registered down there in order to buy, tax and insure a car. Bad enough having the Irish revenue after, dont want the Spanish also!!!

Yeah you usually have to be registered, theres a residency rule for owning/driving a car usually.

So are you on holidays there or what ? In that case you could probably get away with Irish plates I see D Regs all the time here :)

• Advertisement

No working down there, but I dont know for how long. Could anything from 9 months to 3 years. I was looking at trying to do a deal with a car rental company but I dont think the Spanish understand barganing!

It looks like my only choice is to buy a commercial car here and then get Spanish insurance, which is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Break all ties

Legally Irish Insurance is valid for 3rd party only for the full life of the policy throughout the EU. Irish insurance companies may try to tell you otherwise. If they find out that you are living in Spain they will cancel the policy leaving you no choice but to register the car in Spain with all the costs involved.

But I dont have to register the car in Spain if I get spanish insurance:

http://www.abbeygateinsure.com/

Legally Irish Insurance is valid for 3rd party only for the full life of the policy throughout the EU. Irish insurance companies may try to tell you otherwise. If they find out that you are living in Spain they will cancel the policy leaving you no choice but to register the car in Spain with all the costs involved.

That is true, the Insurance company pays out Third party, but if you've provided them with false information then they will recover those costs from you.

@OP

Get the car wherever you spend most of your time.
    If your working in Spain you should be registered anyway.

Advertisement