Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Tesco opens on Fleet Street, Temple Bar

Options
  • 15-02-2011 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Saw them stocking the shelves on Sunday night. I think they are officially open now. No off-licence. Right opposite The Palace pub, where the ESB offices used to be.

Tesco in Temple Bar. Good thing or bad thing?

Irish Times article from Saturday here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

1968 wrote: »
    Saw them stocking the shelves on Sunday night. I think they are officially open now. No off-licence. Right opposite The Palace pub, where the ESB offices used to be.

Tesco in Temple Bar. Good thing or bad thing?

Irish Times article from Saturday here.

would it make a difference? the whole area is an over hyped expensive dive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Went in for a look around last night. It's not fantastic and the aisles are quite small. It has a very small fruit and veg section but a really big biscuit/ sweet section.
    I'd prefer the supervalue on the quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

Sure isn't Templebar full of trashy spots anyway? Can't see a Tesco taking away from the area certainly.

I think its a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭glorified g

Is it a Tesco Extra or a real Tesco??
    Presume it's an Extra. No offo is a strange one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

:D Tesco in temple bar, every little helps :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭.danindudlin

Is it a Tesco Extra or a real Tesco??
    Presume it's an Extra. No offo is a strange one.

I take it you mean Express? An Extra in temple bar would be amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭glorified g

I take it you mean Express? An Extra in temple bar would be amazing!
    Sorry yeah an Express!
    Haha an Extra in Temple Bar would indeed! The one in Arklow is ****ing heruge!

Express are ****e though, the one on Camden St is awful imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

More than likely this is down to known loopholes and tricks in our legal system than anything else.

That is, Tesco plan to open a new shop, so they get their legal firm onto it to sort out all of the paperwork. The legal firms knows that, "If we do X, Y & Z, we stand the best chance of getting an off-licence unopposed", so they go ahead and do that with Tesco's blessing.
    This is the kind of nonsense that goes on in all areas of the Irish legal system, I wouldn't criticise Tesco for it.

Personally I think a Tesco store would enhance the quality of Fleet Street rather than take away from it. The place looks like a kip at the moment.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

seamus wrote: »
    The legal firms knows that, "If we do X, Y & Z, we stand the best chance of getting an off-licence unopposed", so they go ahead and do that with Tesco's blessing.
    The Irish Times article above would suggest that they may need a new legal team, if that's the case. It looks like they may have jeopardised every single Tesco off-licence in the country with this application.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

iamstop wrote: »
    Temple Bar sold out long ago.

I was in to it before it was cool. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

BeerNut wrote: »
    The Irish Times article above would suggest that they may need a new legal team, if that's the case. It looks like they may have jeopardised every single Tesco off-licence in the country with this application.
    I wouldn't blame them though, they probably didn't do anything that anyone else hasn't done. They seem to have just fallen foul of a judge on a bad day who's decided that they don't like the legal system on this matter and sought to create a few headlines by calling Tesco's character into question.

Tesco will appeal it and another judge will accept that they made legally consistent applications and allow the licence to go through.

Judges are a lot like university professors. They're all barking mad with very little grasp on reality and like to throw little hissy fits every now and again to make a name for themselves in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I'd hate to be working there on a weekend night the amount of eejits you would get in trying to nick stuff right, left and centre!

There was loads of people holding signposts for it today and when I was walking over O' COnnell bridge there was a sign for it painted onto the ground! :eek::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

There are arrows spray painted for this place on O'Connell Bridge. Surely this is illegal graffiti....

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

can anyone get any snaps of the Tesco graff in the morning? if so, please post them here or pm them to me please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

sooner or later our centre will be comprised of only tescos, centras, spars, and all you can eat Chinese Buffets at this rate!!!! The place is really going downhill imo :(

Advertisement