Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Raid

Options
  • 15-02-2011 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Hi i have two spare 80Gb 7200RPM drives both the same model etc siting on a shelf going to waste as i was thinking they are to small to bother puting in to my PC.

But i was thinking today that i could use them to install my OS and a few programs and games and set them up in raid 0 as my hardrive is the bottle neck in my Pc at the moment and i dont have the cash for a SSD will there be much difference with raid 0 ?

So were do i start ive insatlled loads of OS's Hunderds of times set up scsi drives etc.

How easy is it to set up raid 0 is it done when installing the OS i will be useing windows 7 64 Bit.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Hi i have two spare 80Gb 7200RPM drives both the same model etc siting on a shelf going to waste as i was thinking they are to small to bother puting in to my PC.

But i was thinking today that i could use them to install my OS and a few programs and games and set them up in raid 0 as my hardrive is the bottle neck in my Pc at the moment and i dont have the cash for a SSD will there be much difference with raid 0 ?

So were do i start ive insatlled loads of OS's Hunderds of times set up scsi drives etc.

How easy is it to set up raid 0 is it done when installing the OS i will be useing windows 7 64 Bit.

Thanks
    It can be done in the bios if your mobo supports it.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maj Malfunction

RAID should be easy enough to set up. Config the RAID on you mobo (assuming its supported).

When installing Windows 7 (or any other flavour of windows) you will probably need to install the RAID drivers during the setup so that Windows will detect the array. (press f6 I believe)

Put the drivers onto a USB flash drive during the setup and install them and your good to go.

Advertisement